Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are trailers detected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How are trailers detected?

Hi all,

recently I replaced my old 04 F150 XL with a 18 F150 Platinum. It was quite emotional for the whole family since the old rig has served us very well and we traveled a lot with it, but as you can imagine the tears dried quickly after experiencing 14 years of technologial improvements and of course the big difference between XL and Platinum ;-)

For registration in Germany, some things had to be changed by the company that took care of the import, and while they did a few things right and the price was good, they kind of messed up the trailer wiring. We do have different trailer connectors in the EU and some changes are made to the lights too (we need yellow turn signals, we do have red fog lights in the rear end and so on)

Now before I start taking everything apart and re-wire the whole connector, there is one thing I need to figure out: My truck has a TBC and a 7-pin/4-pin US connector and all trailer options in the productivity screen. With the current setup, the trailer is not recognized, so I don't have trailer BLIS, I don't have more flashes with a trailer connected and when backing up the beeping of the backup assist is driving me crazy.

Can someone please explain how a trailer is detected?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Quick Reply: How are trailers detected?