Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden EZ Pass Installs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Hidden EZ Pass Installs?

Anyone find any good spots to hide their external EZ Pass transponder? I'm talking about the one that normally screws to the front plate:

... it blocks a fair amount of my vanity plate, and looks utterly retarded, so I'd like to find somewhere hidden, where it still reads. Was thinking behind the grill, but with the Chrome appearance, figured that was a no-go. Ideas??
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

I can't speak for the ez pass, but for the I-Pass used in the midwest, you can register your license plate with your billing account and drive without the transponder. They run your plate, find the account attached to it, and charge the same toll you would pay with the transponder present.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by J15
I can't speak for the ez pass, but for the I-Pass used in the midwest, you can register your license plate with your billing account and drive without the transponder. They run your plate, find the account attached to it, and charge the same toll you would pay with the transponder present.
You register your tag with the respective state EZ Pass agency too, but after successive transponder read failures, they can, and do start to charge you a "video toll" fee to do the plate OCR.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Get rid of that, get the regular one... can't really hide them as it's an RFID device and needs to get picked up by the antennas.

The other ones that go inside, I painted the back black, so it blends in from the outside
Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have the plate one, but I can keep the regular EZ Pass on top of the Radio storage section & it reads no issue
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

While I lived in Houston my car had one of the sunshade windshields. They do block the sun but also block RFID signals.

I opted for one of the license plate transponders but tie wrapped it to the intake vent below the windshield.

-R
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by rdinatal
While I lived in Houston my car had one of the sunshade windshields. They do block the sun but also block RFID signals.

I opted for one of the license plate transponders but tie wrapped it to the intake vent below the windshield.

-R
Good call. I was thinking that, but behind the intake vents, or using a bracket to attach it to the license plate bracket, but fully below.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swamplynx
Good call. I was thinking that, but behind the intake vents, or using a bracket to attach it to the license plate bracket, but fully below.
Just make sure there's enough angle for the RFID tag to be read. If it's not in a good sight line of the reader you won't get good reads.

-R

Quick Reply: Hidden EZ Pass Installs?