Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with "theme" on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Help with "theme" on my truck

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while but this is my first post after registering a little bit ago. I just picked up a used 2015 XLT SCrew a few weeks ago and I feel like it's struggling with an identity crisis (pic below). Grey wheels, chrome badges, red FX4 decal, blue ford ovals, etc. I like for my vehicles to look like everything goes together.... much like the previous generation FX4 appearance package. I really like the stock 20" wheels so I'm keeping them. It just depends on if I leave them stock or have them powdercoated. So I come here asking for opinions on a few theme options I came up with to see what everyone thinks. Here goes...

Option 1 - Red/Black/Silver Theme
- Red calipers (G2 kit)
- Grey plastidip badges/ovals with red dye cut lettering (This would match the wheels and pull it together with red accents)
- Leave FX4 decal on to match

Option 2 - Mock FX4 Appearance Package from previous generation
- Red calipers
- Black plastidip badges/ovals with red dye cut lettering
- Powdercoat wheels satin black
- Leave FX4 decal

Option 3 - Black/Silver Theme
- Black calipers
- Grey plastidip badges/ovals with black dye cut lettering
- Take FX4 decal off

Option 4 - ??

Thoughts?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

We have similar trucks, except mine is Blue Flame.

My personal opinion is that the decal on the bed, whether it says FX4 or Sport, has to go. For some reason with those stickers, my eye always seems to go there first - as opposed to the truck itself.

Also, I am not a fan of colored calipers on a truck. I think they look good on a sport car with a big brake kit...but if you have stock calipers, then there is no reason to draw attention to it. Painting it black would be cool to clean up the appearance - but no red.

I have the same wheels and am on the fence as to what to do with them - on one hand I like the contrast of the silver, but other times I would like to see them blacked out. I think one of these days - maybe this fall, I will plastidip them to see if I like it. If not, I can peel it off....if I do like it, then i can consider powdercoating.

One thing I am contending with are the headlights. With you having a black truck - they are a big source of contrast. I had an HID retrofit done to mine and I am taking them back in soon to have them blacked out.

My first inclination is to do some basic things - black out your calipers, remove the decal, maybe do a black and silver ford emblem - as opposed to chrome, and maybe do the same with the fender badges. Simplify it and see how that feels for a while - then make some decisions on what to do next.

Last edited by thais0n; 07-27-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM

Thanks very much for your input! Actually I was leaning toward the black/silver theme anyway as it keeps it simple and clean.

I was toying with the idea, same as you, with blacking out the wheels but my other car (Mustang) is completely blacked out and I didn't necessarily want to do the exact same thing with the truck. Keeping them as is provides some contrast and saves me some $$ if I don't have to powder coat them.

Curious to see if anyone else chimes in to get some additional thoughts/opinions.

ALSO, what are your thoughts on the running boards? I'm thinking about taking them off as I think trucks look much cleaner without them.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alborn98
Hi All,

Been lurking for a while but this is my first post after registering a little bit ago. I just picked up a used 2015 XLT SCrew a few weeks ago and I feel like it's struggling with an identity crisis (pic below). Grey wheels, chrome badges, red FX4 decal, blue ford ovals, etc. I like for my vehicles to look like everything goes together.... much like the previous generation FX4 appearance package. I really like the stock 20" wheels so I'm keeping them. It just depends on if I leave them stock or have them powdercoated. So I come here asking for opinions on a few theme options I came up with to see what everyone thinks. Here goes...

Option 1 - Red/Black/Silver Theme
- Red calipers (G2 kit)
- Grey plastidip badges/ovals with red dye cut lettering (This would match the wheels and pull it together with red accents)
- Leave FX4 decal on to match

Option 2 - Mock FX4 Appearance Package from previous generation
- Red calipers
- Black plastidip badges/ovals with red dye cut lettering
- Powdercoat wheels satin black
- Leave FX4 decal

Option 3 - Black/Silver Theme
- Black calipers
- Grey plastidip badges/ovals with black dye cut lettering
- Take FX4 decal off

Option 4 - black/black perhaps, decals removed

Thoughts?

black on black perhaps
Attached Thumbnails Help with "theme" on my truck-img_2569.jpg   Help with "theme" on my truck-img_2563.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

First; awesome truck and welcome!

I like the thinking behind Option 3: Black & Silver, however, I am not a fan of Plasti Dipping anything (just MHO, it usually comes across as "highschool"). These trucks look so damn good stock that unless we're willing to do something a little more visually bold like a level/lift with larger tires and a slightly wider offset wheel, they all just seem to look stock no matter what little details we put on them - again just MHO. If you're okay with using wheel spacers, maybe doing a 1.25-1.5" spacer will give it stance that'll subtly bump up its presence. Another option is to replace the red FX4 decal with a matte black version. Personally, I like running boards and they're super helpful; one of the best functional pieces especially if you level/lift your truck.

I know the feeling you have right now. At first, I was okay with the stock stance; wheels, tires, ride height, etc. But, with time I felt it just wasn't "me" and needed to add a slightly beefier stance. I ended up lifting/leveling about 2.5-3" all around and have recently decided to order some wheels to help give my ride more of my personality. It almost seems never ending! Well, at least I get joy out of it, right?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM

^ VERY nice truck!

Chuckled when I saw the "truck-nutz" hanging off the back haha.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SURF150
First; awesome truck and welcome!

I like the thinking behind Option 3: Black & Silver, however, I am not a fan of Plasti Dipping anything (just MHO, it usually comes across as "highschool"). These trucks look so damn good stock that unless we're willing to do something a little more visually bold like a level/lift with larger tires and a slightly wider offset wheel, they all just seem to look stock no matter what little details we put on them - again just MHO. If you're okay with using wheel spacers, maybe doing a 1.25-1.5" spacer will give it stance that'll subtly bump up its presence. Another option is to replace the red FX4 decal with a matte black version. Personally, I like running boards and they're super helpful; one of the best functional pieces especially if you level/lift your truck.

I know the feeling you have right now. At first, I was okay with the stock stance; wheels, tires, ride height, etc. But, with time I felt it just wasn't "me" and needed to add a slightly beefier stance. I ended up lifting/leveling about 2.5-3" all around and have recently decided to order some wheels to help give my ride more of my personality. It almost seems never ending! Well, at least I get joy out of it, right?

Good luck and keep us posted.
I know this feeling all too well as I have the "mod bug" already. I have a wish list a mile long of things I want to do. I did the same thing with my Mustang and it's like a never ending curse.

I have plans to level it and get 285/65/R20 BFG KO2s to give me the look I want from that standpoint. For this post though I'm more concerned with the colors/theme of the truck to make it look like everything on it "goes together". I'll be blacking out the headlights/fogs as well to get rid of the chrome up front. I'm with you on the plastidip for bigger things like grille and wheels but for smaller items like badges and emblems it can look really good as long as it's done right.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option 1. Our trucks are the same, I recently ordered and put on, the Special Edition emblems. The red in them, ties the rear FX4 decal in nicely. I've sent a note to one of the vendors on eBay that paints the ovals, to see if he can work with me to paint those in a way that can help tie into the SE emblems. Just a little bit of red, nothing to striking, rest of the truck blacked out with the tints, etc.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Truck looks pretty good as is. I like those wheels. Only things I would do would be

- tint front windows
- get vinyl overlays for the blue ovals (black or grey)
- black out the headlights or get smoked projectors
Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Black and neon yellow!!

Quick Reply: Help with "theme" on my truck