Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my lift selection please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with my lift selection please

Hey! I just bought a 2015 F150 Lariat FX4! Super excited! Im selling my 2004 F150 now, and I took off my wheel/tire setup that I would like to use on my new truck: Method 703 17x8.5 (0 offset, 4.75 backspace) with Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35x12.5.

So, I now have the challenge to find a lift kit to fit both. I’d like to be in the 3-4” range with some light trimming if necessary. I’ve been eyeing Rough Country 4” kit, or a Zone 4” kit, but they all say a 17” rims won’t work! I could go to a coil over 2.5” level kit, but I’d have major trimming to avoid the rub when off-roading.

Ive seen on Custom Offsets that people have made a 4-6” lift work with 17” rims... but not sure how. Was it just with spacers? How big of a spacer would I need? Any other thoughts on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM
has left the building

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,467 Posts

I don't have much to offer here, sorry.
Yeah, the 4" kits are going to require minimum 18" wheels because the new spindle used to fix the suspension geometry is taller and stock.
As for a 2.5" level -that is an entirely different monster than a lift. You're switching from a full lift kit that sets up proper steering and suspension geometry and offers a superior quality of ride for a maxed out level situation that has you cutting stuff to fit the tires.

It's a tough decision, replace the tires/wheels to fit a proper level or sacrifice the truck a little to continue using the tires.
the only caution I have for you is that with a Lariat you've always got a little bit of drag on the front drive line. The CV boots will rub itself at the folders unlike stock. It is possible to have premature wear and wear in a hole in the boot. With that said, I think I've read one or 2 threads only over the past 1.5 years where anything similar has even happened. Probably not worth giving up on the idea just on the off chance your boots were wear out. But it is a thing that can happen along with additional drive line wear. At 2.5" you're in the risky zone....

If your tires are 50% worn I would suggest considering a proper 4" kit as you'll be buying tires soon anyway.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my tires are almost new still, unfortunately for this situation.

So here’s an example of someone who used a similar setup: 2016 F150 with 4in Rancho Lift and 17” wheels

I’ve read that the Rancho kit will accept 17” wheels, but the final notes on Stage 3 says: “Stock Wheel Fitment: this kit can fit factory 18" and 20" wheels, but can only be used with a maximum of an 11" wide tire.”

I believe my stock rim has a 44mm offset. So I’m guessing this Rancho kit could work since my Methods are 0 offset?

What’s unique about Rancho geometry that could possibly get it to work with a 17” rim?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 PM

Received 528 Likes on 295 Posts

The 17” will hit the drop knuckles regardless of the offset, factory +44 will even hit, there is just not enough span on a 17” rim.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 PM

So I ended up getting a Fox 2.0 Roush kit and will go to 2” level. I also got a BDS UCA.

I’ll remove my crash bars and trim the linings a bit as needed. Hoping all the parts show up for this weekend!

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Help with my lift selection please