Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - 2015 w/ 2.7 eco - 51,400 miles and needed valve cover gaskets!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP - 2015 w/ 2.7 eco - 51,400 miles and needed valve cover gaskets!!!

My alternator went out on my 15 with a 2.7 ecoboost due to the valve cover gaskets and another gasket dumping oil into it. My question is, has anyone heard of this? have experience with this? Is this engine good enough to keep or should I be concerned and sell it?

It was all done under warranty but this is still VERY concerning to me to be putting valve cover gaskets at 51,000 miles. Please give me your input!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

it happens, thats why we have warranties...it was just valve cover gaskets...very very minor
The following users liked this post:
kehyler (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
it happens, thats why we have warranties...it was just valve cover gaskets...very very minor
It also had the "engine front cover gasket" replaced. Are you still considering this minor? I am looking for all opinions, good/bad/ugly of the longevity of this engine.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

yes, thats just the timing cover gasket which is silicone..don't sweat it
Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
yes, thats just the timing cover gasket which is silicone..don't sweat it
So why would this happen on a 51,000 mile truck? That is my hang up here.
captaingeek (05-24-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Check with the service department that did the work, ask why they think it was needed. Searching online for when valve gaskets may need to be replaced, sites like YourMechanic quote 20-50k miles.

If the truck otherwise runs fine, and this isn't happening every 5k miles, then I would just drive it and not be too worried. You said they fixed it under warranty, as it's a 4 year old vehicle I am guessing you either have an extended warranty or bought this vehicle pretty late into 2016. If it's the original, buy an extended warranty now. They aren't outrageously expensive and if you plan to keep this truck for a while and want peace of mind, go for it.

The 2.7L has waaaaaaaaaayyyyy more miles on it on many trucks out there and I am not seeing this come up all the time. If you bought this truck late in 2016 and it sat on a lot for almost a year, the gaskets can degrade a bit from having no use for such a long period and that may have impacted their life.

I dunno, it's all guess work. There are people that have engines with no issues that blow up in spectacular fashion out of nowhere, and others that have some fairly decent issue like you, they fix it, and it goes another 100k miles no problem. Nobody can tell you anything more than they already have without tearing down the engine.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by vulnox
Check with the service department that did the work, ask why they think it was needed. Searching online for when valve gaskets may need to be replaced, sites like YourMechanic quote 20-50k miles.

If the truck otherwise runs fine, and this isn't happening every 5k miles, then I would just drive it and not be too worried. You said they fixed it under warranty, as it's a 4 year old vehicle I am guessing you either have an extended warranty or bought this vehicle pretty late into 2016. If it's the original, buy an extended warranty now. They aren't outrageously expensive and if you plan to keep this truck for a while and want peace of mind, go for it.

The 2.7L has waaaaaaaaaayyyyy more miles on it on many trucks out there and I am not seeing this come up all the time. If you bought this truck late in 2016 and it sat on a lot for almost a year, the gaskets can degrade a bit from having no use for such a long period and that may have impacted their life.

I dunno, it's all guess work. There are people that have engines with no issues that blow up in spectacular fashion out of nowhere, and others that have some fairly decent issue like you, they fix it, and it goes another 100k miles no problem. Nobody can tell you anything more than they already have without tearing down the engine.
It was performed under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. They told me "the engine looks like it has had a rough life." I see no indications of that besides the work they just performed..
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by afdfirefighter
It was performed under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. They told me "the engine looks like it has had a rough life." I see no indications of that besides the work they just performed..
I’d love to know how they decided the engine has had a rough life via swapping gaskets. You’ve changed the oil once or twice I suppose?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by David Jones
You’ve changed the oil once or twice I suppose?
You're supposed to change that? I thought it was lifetime oil ...
Ohsix (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by David Jones
I’d love to know how they decided the engine has had a rough life via swapping gaskets. You’ve changed the oil once or twice I suppose?
Exactly. Their very first response to me was "We saw the lights in the dash for the fire department." I said please tell me how that affects the engine. They tried to claim that they know it gets driven hard just due to that. After that they just said it looks wore out. I said ok....

Quick Reply: HELP - 2015 w/ 2.7 eco - 51,400 miles and needed valve cover gaskets!!!