Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated wheel turning on with remote start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heated wheel turning on with remote start

Hi guys.. I have a 2018 F150 Lariat and I have an issue with the heated wheel turning on when I remote start it. I have the option in the DIC set to not turn on the heated wheel or seat, but if it's cold enough, the wheel turns on and stays on while the seats don't. Has anyone else run into this?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2017 F150 Lariat also has the heated steering wheel come on during the remote start when its cold out and then goes off after I push the start button.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanks.. I have it set to not turn on but it still does and then stays on once I push the start button.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

This will work for you:
You have the climate control set to 'Auto' for this to happen. Disable 'Auto' before exiting the truck (just hit the fan speed button up or down a level..that way you can tap the Auto button when you get in next time...without having to adjust anything). When you remote start it without 'Auto', the seats and steering wheel will not turn on....the temperature and blower motor will be set wherever you left it.

Per the manual...AUTO must be activated for the seats and steering wheel heaters to turn on.
Automatic Settings
In hot weather, the system sets to 72°F (22°C). The cooled seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display).
In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated mirrors and heated or cooled seats do not turn on.
In cold weather, the system sets to 72°F (22°C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and AUTO is on in the information display). The heated rear window and heated mirrors turn on.

Last edited by Kingofwylietx; 04-09-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
I'm 99% sure this will work for you:
You have the climate control set to 'Auto' for this to happen. Disable 'Auto' before exiting the truck (just hit the fan speed button up or down a level..that way you can tap the Auto button when you get in next time...without having to adjust anything). When you remote start it without 'Auto', the seats and steering wheel will not turn on....the temperature and blower motor will be set wherever you left it.
Thanks for the info, but doesn't that seem like a bug?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by LeftyChev
Thanks for the info, but doesn't that seem like a bug?
No. I just edited my response. It is how the system was designed to operate in AUTO mode. I just now cut & pasted a section from the manual in my previous response.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
No. I just edited my response. It is how the system was designed to operate in AUTO mode. I just now cut & pasted a section from the manual in my previous response.

OK, so there's a setting in the DIC to either use AUTO on for heated seats AND wheel (one option for both) or don't turn them on. With this setting on, BOTH turn on when it's cold. I turned off the setting. Now the wheel turns on the seats do not. Is that what you'd expect?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by LeftyChev
OK, so there's a setting in the DIC to either use AUTO on for heated seats AND wheel (one option for both) or don't turn them on. With this setting on, BOTH turn on when it's cold. I turned off the setting. Now the wheel turns on the seats do not. Is that what you'd expect?
I wouldn't expect the steering wheel heater to come on if you don't have AUTO set. For fun....before turning off the truck, just hit the fan speed to a different level (don't change anything else) using the physical button below your radio. The Auto light should extinguish from your driver side temperature ****. Check for results.

It's not cold enough here for me to test this until next winter...
Old 04-09-2018, 02:16 PM

I can try that but the info you quoted talked about the heated seats and I've successfully changed the setting in the DIC to make it so the heated seats do not turn on when remote start is used and it's cold. To me that means you don't have to have AUTO off to disable heated seats (and wheel) with remote start.

I found this in the manual too

Note: The heated seats may remain on after you remote start your vehicle, based on your remote start settings. The heated seats may also turn on when you start your vehicle if they were on when you switched your vehicle off.

So it could be the setting I'm talking about is to keep the heated seats and wheel on? If so, it's still not working because the seats are not on once I push the start button but the wheel is.

EDIT: also from the manual Note: The heated steering wheel may remain on after remote starting the vehicle, based on your remote start settings.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by m2mc2
My 2017 F150 Lariat also has the heated steering wheel come on during the remote start when its cold out and then goes off after I push the start button.

He has a 2018 so it's different.. I wish I could swap him how my 2015 works for what he thinks is a problem.. But at least I actually have seats that actually cool.😀😀😀😀

Quick Reply: Heated wheel turning on with remote start