Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone modded the Bakflip MX4 like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone modded the Bakflip MX4 like this?

Looking to make my MX4 cover behave like a one-piece cover. I installed an original solid UnderCover on my old pickup. Didn't like the lack of flexibility with that cover, but loved the fact that it mostly protected the contents while open during inclement weather and provided plenty of shade while open and tailgating. I'm thinking some kind of bracing that could be assembled/disassembled that mimics the angle of a one-piece cover when opened. My thinking is I could open the MX4 all the way, assemble the frame in the bed, then unfold the MX4 onto the frame, supporting the 3 folding panels (SuperCrew) in a straight plane. Hopefully that makes sense.

Has anyone done anything like this or know of someone (link?) that has done something like this? My tailgating season starts this coming weekend and it's been on my mind a lot recently. Thanks for any info/input!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm thinking your best bet is to get another cover. any mods to the mx4 will probably involve removing latches at each section and cause water leaks, as well as drilling, to attach some kind of frame which will void any warranty on the cover.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Not to mention the added stress you would put on the very front hinge. I know the weight of the cover wouldn't change (except for whatever bracing you install) but there will be way more leverage since the cover will be one piece.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've started work on a prototype made of 1x2s and I'm only propping the back 2 panels. My plan is to run the angled braces from the cab end of the bed, over the wheel wells, and out the back. I will then do vertical braces that run down to the top hole just inside of the tailgate in the sides and use dowels that fit in those holes. The rear two panels will just rest on top of this frame, and the weight shouldn't be an issue. I'll try to snap some pics of the finished idea and post them up so that everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about.

My next project will be a hitch mounted hinged grill assembly similar to this...
https://www.thegreenhead.com/2009/07...ting-grill.php
My idea would be reversible for hinging to either side, able to be broken down for storage, and swing out far enough to allow for the tailgate to be down.. It would accommodate any tabletop grill you choose. That might be a patent-able idea.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:02 AM
F150 Forum

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The MX4 was never designed to be a solid one piece cover. making modifications to make it that way could result is either,
A) Void any warranty on the cover in case you have to modify it.
B) Preventing the cover to seal like it should and allow water to get into your bed.

I would suggest trying to sell the MX4 and then find a solid cover. Might be more of a pain long term to have to purchase a new one, however I think it'll save you some headache trying to modify a cover that wasn't meant to be a one piece.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Midwest Aftermarket
The MX4 was never designed to be a solid one piece cover. making modifications to make it that way could result is either,
A) Void any warranty on the cover in case you have to modify it.
B) Preventing the cover to seal like it should and allow water to get into your bed.

I would suggest trying to sell the MX4 and then find a solid cover. Might be more of a pain long term to have to purchase a new one, however I think it'll save you some headache trying to modify a cover that wasn't meant to be a one piece.

Hope that helps!
I worded the title of my thread poorly. I'm not actually making any physical changes to the cover. My post above describes (hopefully) what I'm talking about.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Comprehension skills are horrible these days.....

I'm thinking some kind of bracing that could be assembled/disassembled that mimics the angle of a one-piece cover when opened. My thinking is I could open the MX4 all the way, assemble the frame in the bed, then unfold the MX4 onto the frame, supporting the 3 folding panels (SuperCrew) in a straight plane.
He is not asking about modifying the cover itself, but installing a brace in the truck box and unfolding the cover on to that brace.

Front hinge may be an issue, but I doubt it...

What about 3 pieces of 2x2 with a hinge on each end? Cut the two upright pieces to length, front one box height, back one whatever height you want it up to, then the top piece the length of the cover, or back two sections. It would fold up almost flat and pop up easy.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TI 3VOM
Comprehension skills are horrible these days.....

He is not asking about modifying the cover itself, but installing a brace in the truck box and unfolding the cover on to that brace.

Front hinge may be an issue, but I doubt it...

What about 3 pieces of 2x2 with a hinge on each end? Cut the two upright pieces to length, front one box height, back one whatever height you want it up to, then the top piece the length of the cover, or back two sections. It would fold up almost flat and pop up easy.
I like where you're going with your design. My thing is, I don't want any forward/backward movement. With the design of how the MX4 attaches to the bed, I don't imagine any movement forward or backward. However, I think my design would definitely prevent forward movement (since it would be braced against the cab end of the bed). I also like the idea of having the rearward "leg" elevated above the bed (in those holes I mentioned earlier) so that dragging items in/out of the bed wouldn't interfere with the support system of the bed cover. I'll post pics in a moment.