Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise in reverse

Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 AM
KLS

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Grinding noise in reverse

So, had the truck in to the dealer to take a listen to the noise this beauty makes when I put the truck in reverse and back up. Service manager acknowledged the noise and didn't think it sounded good. Got a call back later in the day yesterday from the service writer who had stated "that's the electronic shifter, it's a normal sound". He said they had a request in to the tech line and would get back to me but thought it was not unusual.

So this will be added to my "normal condition" list I guess-
-The rough idle that's "normal"
-The vibration/drone at 2 and 3 thousand RPM which is "normal"
-The seats that didn't cool which were "normal"(thanks Tim for the fix)
-The ACC system that still slams on the brakes when passing trucks on the freeway- post recall fix.

Anyhoo, take a listen to the very short audio clip and tell me if this sounds "normal".censored: I'll assume every one's truck has these "normal" conditions. Maybe I set the expectation too high for a $60k truck.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Reverse Noise.mp3 (76.1 KB, 1641 views)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM
KLS

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

**Update**. Service writer now says this noise is the rear diff electronic locker. He's seen a few others do this. "normal". Anyone else have this or maybe I'm just crazy. Truck is ready YIPPIE
Old 07-28-2016, 12:44 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I would find another dealer..I had a similar experience with my jeep..normal normal normal...different dealer might actually give a hoot and fix it for you.
I would pm ford service in this forum and see if they can push it through...good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
**Update**. Service writer now says this noise is the rear diff electronic locker. He's seen a few others do this. "normal". Anyone else have this or maybe I'm just crazy. Truck is ready YIPPIE
That is ridiculous. You need to engage the rear diff locker by pulling out on the 4x4 ****. No way could it be that. Also, if by some chance it was the diff locker, that noise would be still be bad!

Ask them to test some trucks on the lot. Put them in reverse and try to duplicate. It is not normal.

You're dealer really does not sound very competent.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Also your vibration/drone at certain RPM's is more than likely drive-line angles being out. My truck did this when I got it. My dealer actually fixed it by shimming the rear axle.

A test for this; get the truck in the vibration/drone "sweet spot". Keep it in that spot and carefully put the truck in neutral. Vibes go away or change? Drive-line angle.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same sound

Originally Posted by KLS
So, had the truck in to the dealer to take a listen to the noise this beauty makes when I put the truck in reverse and back up. Service manager acknowledged the noise and didn't think it sounded good. Got a call back later in the day yesterday from the service writer who had stated "that's the electronic shifter, it's a normal sound". He said they had a request in to the tech line and would get back to me but thought it was not unusual.

So this will be added to my "normal condition" list I guess-
-The rough idle that's "normal"
-The vibration/drone at 2 and 3 thousand RPM which is "normal"
-The seats that didn't cool which were "normal"(thanks Tim for the fix)
-The ACC system that still slams on the brakes when passing trucks on the freeway- post recall fix.

Anyhoo, take a listen to the very short audio clip and tell me if this sounds "normal".censored: I'll assume every one's truck has these "normal" conditions. Maybe I set the expectation too high for a $60k truck.
I just noticed the exact same noise in my truck. Did you ever get a good answer or fix?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

It appears the memorized vocabulary of a service manager in order to keep their job is: "thats normal"!

Doesn't sound normal to me as i've got an e-locker on my truck and have no such issues that you described.
I agree with the others, take it to another Ford dealer and see what they say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise in reverse