Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my truck back after 3 days in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default Got my truck back after 3 days in the shop

And SO glad to have it back! Driving a Focus for 3 days was a very good reminder as to why I bought a truck in the first place. Going to take a few days for my back, hips and legs to recover.

My complaints were bad steering with it drifting, pulling wandering. And also a noise that sounded like maybe bad bearing or tires. The Lane Keep was also not alerting properly and would blank out occasionally even though the lines on the road were clearly visible I forgot about the seat recall, and figured they would look it up, but they didn't, not worried.

Turns out I am glad I brought it in when I did, I am almost through the B2B warranty after nearly a year. What I thought might be noisy tires turned out to be a worn front differential.

Apparently the service has seen this a few times and new what it was. They confirmed with ears on the front diff during a test drive and pulled the front diff, replaced the bearings, ring and pinion. So basically a full front rebuild with only 30K miles, and only maybe 10 miles total on the 4WD. I was told that the pinion on a batch of front diffs were improperly installed. Truck is once again nice and quiet.

They updated the modules for the steering and the Lane Keep, and so far so good, but will know for sure tomorrow.

I also had a complaint about the Sirius cutting out still, there was an update for the ACM too.

So glad to have my truck back, and even if the steering isn't perfect, I do not wish to be without it again! It drives like new again.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

I just got mine back after driving a fusion for a week. I felt like I was in a monster truck lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Glad you guys got some good service, sorry about having a little car though.
Hey, my DD is a Ranger!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

glad to hear you got it back, hope its fixed for good.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Knock Knock

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Going to have to take mine in on Friday for a noise from the passenger side.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 AM
On down the highway

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Ouch, I feel your pain! last year mine was in the body shop off and on for about a month, the darn loaners can make one puke- last time I told them I wanted a truck. got lucky and they gave me a brand spanking new 150 for the week, said it would be a managers demo when I was done. So yeah, the loaners really taught me to appreciate my truck
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Well 60 miles and not once did I have to fight the wheel! Drives like a new truck once again, and nice and quiet too, however still has a slight vibration, most likely a tire, and only noticeable on smooth pavement, and very subtle.

The one thing about this whole issue that is bugging me, why was the truck vibrating in 2H if the front differential was mucked up? It should not have been turning at all unless an IWE was stuck. Going to need to follow that one up to make sure that the IWE were inspected.

Lane keep is working much better now, the correction is very subtle, not the push you back to center, but just enough to keep you in the lane, and the alerting is working correctly. I also found a grease smear on my door, so going to give the truck a look over to make sure the interior remained clean.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
And also a noise that sounded like maybe bad bearing or tires.

They confirmed with ears on the front diff during a test drive and pulled the front diff, replaced the bearings, ring and pinion.
So, you were only hearing the bad bearing noise in 4x4?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Qik Slvr
Going to have to take mine in on Friday for a noise from the passenger side.
Could be the wife?
The following users liked this post:
SkiSmuggs (12-18-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MEZERR
So, you were only hearing the bad bearing noise in 4x4?
No, heard it all the time. What I did hear at one time was a loud howl after using 4A. It went away when I switched to 4H and back to 2H. but the low noise I heard was consistent in and out of 4a & 4h & 2h.
Makes me wonder if an IWE was sticking since I had the noise and vibration all the time.

Quick Reply: Got my truck back after 3 days in the shop