Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Static w my fake V8 Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting Static w my fake V8 Noise

Ok, this is my first truck and I've had it exactly 2 weeks. Ordered 1/31, so I had plenty of time to read all of the horror stories (feel like I know Roadpilot, CurryBob, and others personally!). I feel lucky: no rust, doors are all within 0.000001" tolerance (jk), moon doesn't leak, roof gutters perfect (sorry CurryBob), stereo sounds great, and even the back seat arm rest fits snug!

I LOVE this truck ...

I did get nailed on a 3 issues: air hoses in driver seat weren't attached, tailgate step would pop up going over bumps, AND intermittent static coming out of the right front speaker. Took it in the next day and they fixed the first two and said I had a bad speaker and ordered me a new one.

I still LOVE the truck ...

Took it back when the speaker arrived. It wasn't the speaker. You see (or hear), there's intermittent electronic static, but ONLY when the engine's running. Even if I move the fade and balance all the way to the left rear, the "static" still comes out of the front right, .. but only if the engine is on. It's not all that loud and can only be heard if the windows are up and the stereo is on very low volume.

Could it be associated with my fake V8 sounds? Will they have to replace the whole stereo? Don't want to start another thread about the fake noise: good or bad. Dealer wants me to bring it in a third time for more analysis ...

btw, I STILL LOVE this truck!

Anybody else having this?
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Probably easier to fix by replacing your EB engine with a 5.0L
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
Ok, this is my first truck and I've had it exactly 2 weeks. Ordered 1/31, so I had plenty of time to read all of the horror stories (feel like I know Roadpilot, CurryBob, and others personally!). I feel lucky: no rust, doors are all within 0.000001" tolerance (jk), moon doesn't leak, roof gutters perfect (sorry CurryBob), stereo sounds great, and even the back seat arm rest fits snug!

I LOVE this truck ...

I did get nailed on a 3 issues: air hoses in driver seat weren't attached, tailgate step would pop up going over bumps, AND intermittent static coming out of the right front speaker. Took it in the next day and they fixed the first two and said I had a bad speaker and ordered me a new one.

Took it back when the speaker arrived. It wasn't the speaker. You see (or hear), there's intermittent electronic static, but ONLY when the engine's running. Even if I move the fade and balance all the way to the left rear, the "static" still comes out of the front right, .. but only if the engine is on. It's not all that loud and can only be heard if the windows are up and the stereo is on very low volume.

Could it be associated with my fake V8 sounds? Will they have to replace the whole stereo? Don't want to start another thread about the fake noise: good or bad. Dealer wants me to bring it in a third time for more analysis ...

I wonder if it could be related to a faulty ground connection also. I've seen engine noise be transmitted into the cabin from broken body to frame grounds. May be way off base, but something you might keep in mind as you try and get it fixed.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 248 Likes on 127 Posts

that's a fake exhaust leak noise
Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Seed
That's funny!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Ford

I LOVE this truck ...

I have this exact problem. I notice that the static sound happens either when the engine is on, OR , when Full Accessory Power is active, meaning you get in the truck and hit the power button without your foot on the brake.

When you hit the power button again and it is just the radio, the static goes away. The static happens regardless of any volume level.

I took it in to the dealership and they wanted to replace the speaker. I was skeptical this would fix it due to the nature of when the static occurs...but figured i'd go with it. They ended up damaging my trim while replacing the speaker, so I needed another additional trip to fix the trim....and sure enough it didn't fix the static problem.

My guess is either interference from something electronic (since it happens when full accessory power is on), or something faulty with the fake sound generator. Either way it's annoying.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

There should be an award for best post each month.
I think that there would be April's winner.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this exact same static. Anyone get this resolved?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Ran into another 5.0 black platinum today. Waiting to get pictures, we revved them up REALLY high so we could find out if each had the same problem. Yep, confirmed.

The wife's mustang has the same problem so its DEFINITELY not a F150 only production issue. Her's has more horsepower (435 I think)

If that video doesn't prove that there's something wrong I don't know what will convince the service manager.

Quick Reply: Getting Static w my fake V8 Noise