Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover | 2015-17 Ford F150 5ft 6in bed - pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover | 2015-17 Ford F150 5ft 6in bed - pros and cons

Im looking into getting this cover for my 16 King Ranch. Does anyone here have any exposure to this cover? What are the pros and cons. I plan to get it this week hopefully and with the personal caddy. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Fold-a-cover on a 6.5 foot bed, not sure if there are any significant differences with the 5.5 foot bed model. If you install it yourself, take your time and follow the directions. Once you have it installed you can tweak the fit and get everything lined up as exact as you want it. I adjusted mine so that it closes tight, and it seems to be relatively water resistant - I've not noticed any water intrusion, although I'm not obsessively checking for water. I like the personal caddy, it's a good place to store tools and the usual stuff I carry in the truck. We sometimes carry a canoe on a t-bar or a bike rack, so we wanted a cover that can be opened without opening the tailgate. Security of the cover seems to be good. Some folks may not like that the cover is not flush with the top of the bed, and the caddy would be inconvenient to remove if you needed the full bed. We haven't used it through a winter yet, so I'll be watching the top mounted lock cylinders to see if they have a tendency to freeze. So far I'm happy with the Fold-a-Cover, it's done everything that I expected it to with no problems.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I have it on my '16. So Pros and cons, Pro's 1st
Pro's
1. super secure locks( foiled a break in attempt)
2. opens both ends
3. easy to remove alone
4. can open without opening tailgate(works well with goalpost kayak rack)
5. Steffens Automotive has great warranty/ customer service( actually warranteed damage done in break in attempt)
6. price was right (850)
7. repair parts not expensive
Con's
1. When traveling with cover open there is no option for just 1 open panel(must have 3 open)
2. small amount of water gets by side seals
3. sits above rails
4. tool caddy too expensive( 500) Made my own

2 of these on front, 2 on rear. Great security

Locks and latches from outside

Installed and closed

Even with the con's I would definitely buy this cover again