Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Stake hole post useable for CB??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Stake hole post useable for CB??

I have read through the forums and found various information.

I am looking at putting my CB antenna in the front stake hole of my 2017 Raptor Crew Cab. Has anyone done this on a 2015 or newer F150?
I heard not to use the front stake hole mount for anything because it has no structural support. I don't know if that is correct information, and if so how much support does a 4 ft antenna really need? I would mount it with either a Firestik stake bed mount, or a Breedlove.

If anyone can help with these numerous questions from their experience please chime in.

1. Is there a way to remove my bed rail cap and reuse it without breaking all the tabs?
2. Will the front stake suffice from my 4ft Firestik
3. Did you use a "NO Ground plane" setup due to the aluminum body?

Thanks for your help and input!!
Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I've been eyeballing the stake pocket myself, but never heard anything about not using it.
I see no problem with antenna grounding, aluminum conducts very well, most high voltage transmission lines in the last x number of years are all aluminum.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 PM

The potentially non reinforced stake hole is only the front pair.

I thought the same thing about the aluminum body as well, until I talked to the main guy at Right channel radio. He said the aluminum will not only not conduct, but will actually shield the signal, this highly suggesting the no ground plane install. Hopefully someone chimes in that had done the install and can share their findings.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsrick80
The potentially non reinforced stake hole is only the front pair.

I thought the same thing about the aluminum body as well, until I talked to the main guy at Right channel radio. He said the aluminum will not only not conduct, but will actually shield the signal, this highly suggesting the no ground plane install. Hopefully someone chimes in that had done the install and can share their findings.
Sorry your radio guy said Aluminum does not conduct?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah... it’s metal, it will do just fine. I’m a HAM guy, so our equipment is generally a little more sophisticated, and the aluminum is awesome. The truck also produces almost no noise which is a huge bonus (at least at HAM frequencies). The problem with using the front of the bed, is you are really close to the cab, which will distort the radiation pattern and make your signal stronger in one direction over another. I have my HAM antenna mounted over the front fender, so it has a little more space between it and the cab and it works well, but I have seen people report good stuff with CB antennas mounted on the bed rails too.

I’d say structurally you should be fine, use a spring so if you wack a branch or something it bends over easier instead of bending your mount. You should also take a look and see if the correct structure is in the front stake pocket, that could be why Ford covered it up.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 AM

@KG7BTU Thank you for the information!! I think your right based on other forums in regard to why Ford covered the front stake mount, without access thru the rail cap.

So you suggest going with a standard grounded system vsv the no ground plane? Can I ground it anywhere on the aluminum bed? Or should I use the steel frame?

I understand the concept on mounting locations. The reason I was thinking of the front stake was because of access to my bed while loading.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsrick80
So you suggest going with a standard grounded system vsv the no ground plane?
I would use a standard antenna, although I don’t remember what the downsides to the no ground plane antennas are. I imagine they are more expensive or have reduced performance. It may be the “safer” way to go though...

Can I ground it anywhere on the aluminum bed? Or should I use the steel frame
I think I have seen ground straps connecting the frame and the bed, so it might not matter. I am inclined to believe that a shorter ground strap would be better, and if you use a stake pocket mount it will probably have enough contact to be sufficient on its own.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 AM

@KG7BTU Thank you very much!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I went with the stake pocket mount in the picture below and a 4 foot Firestick firefly. It is almost exactly 9 foot to the tip. I grounded the mount with a 8 AWG jumper to the frame and have tuned the SWR to 1.2. Thats good enough for me. I have had this setup for 1.5 years now. No complaints.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/stak...-brackets.html

Last edited by Derff96963; 11-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM

@Derff96963 That looks clean. Did you initially try to ground it just with the point of contact from the mount? Or did you initially use the jumper to the frame? If the aluminum conducts as much as people are saying why would we need to ground to the steel?