Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front seat height spacers (feeler)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Front seat height spacers (feeler)

It has come to my attention that there are many newer style F150 owners that are not comfortable with the front seat heights. I manufacture front seat spacers, that mount under the rear of the front seats, for another truck brand and am considering making similar ones for F150 trucks. What I make are square bodied, that conform to the rear anchor brackets, giving a more secure and solid footprint for the anchor brackets to rest on. They are approximately 1" tall by 2" wide x 2" long. They are made of strong grade 6061 aluminum. They are extremely tough and much better and more secure than using simple round spacers. They are coarse polished to give them a paint ready texture though most customers like the brushed aluminum appearance. For other vehicles I use grade 10.9 flange bolts that are rated at 150,000 psi tensile strength. I believe the F150 will require M10-1.5 x 75 mm long bolts to work with 1" spacers. I have not sourced the bolts yet but I have received interest in these for the 2015+ F150. I sell these in pairs, for another brand truck, for $35 for 1 bucket seat and 2 pairs for 2 bucket seats for $63. That includes bolts and free shipping. That is based on different bolts that are shorter than the length needed in the F150. The bolt price difference would be the only foreseen price adjustment. The spacers are basically the same. I included pictures of what I already make just as a reference. Fords would be flat and would not have a radius machined in them as those pictured. If this is something worthy of an investment then I would be anxious to release a prototype for someone to try. As you should already know changing your seat mounting configuration is done at your own risk. I make no claims or guarantees of safety for making this modification. I do have these in my personal truck and it has improved my driving comfort as well as my view over the hood of my truck. Remember the ones pictured are for a different brand truck so the brackets shown are not Fords. Thank you.
The first top picture is what it may look like in an F150 (forgive the artwork)

Last edited by 8662; 06-08-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-08-2019, 03:57 PM

UPDATE: I am indeed ordering material to initially manufacture 15 pair of these spacers and they will include a pair of spacers and 1 pair of 3" long grade 10.9 M10-1.5 flange bolts with free shipping. Approximate release date of 7/4/19. Most likely will be released on ebay as an F150 seat spacer kit. They will look very similar to what is pictured below. Stay tuned

Last edited by 8662; 06-08-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: mistyped
Old 06-08-2019, 11:15 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I think yo have to be a vendor for these posts to be legit.... Maybe not...
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard of front seat lifts but I think it's a great idea, not only for folks trying to improve their seating ergonomics but for the audio enthusiasts looking for additional gear mounting options. I don't see any issues with posting to gauge interest - hope to see you soon as an approved vendor with the spacers selling like hotcakes.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:40 PM

I would like to clarify a few things. I am a hobbyist that makes things in my garage. I have a great paying day job dealing with government contracts for military purchases. I spent many many years in machine shops from Machinist to Supervisor to Quality Control to Manufacturing Engineer to Project Manager. I retired from that industry a few years ago. I do not have a business but I did procure a brand name. When I fully retire within the next year I do plan on operating a machine shop business from my home garage which is fairly tooled up already. I have gradually ramped up some home production when I have seen needs for items in certain automotive markets.
The seat spacers were initially made for one of my vehicles. The factory seats were not ergonomically positioned for comfort. The front bucket seat bottoms were angled downward towards the rear and long drives were very uncomfortable. I added the 1" spacers under the 2 mounting brackets on the back side of the floor anchors and found instant relief. I posted this info on another forum. Apparently this was an issue for many drivers of that particular vehicle. I started producing the spacers in late March and they blew up. I can barely keep up with demand. These are also desired for people that are short in stature. It makes the seat bottom level and provides a better view over the dash and hood. I have been asked by late model F150 owners, as well as owners of other make vehicles, if my spacers would fit and provide the same benefits to theirs. After investigating I found that this apparently is a thing for some F150 drivers. That is why I decided to post here. It is not an item specifically made for under seat storage or amps. It is solely designed for aided comfort with the added benefit of vision over the dash and hood for some drivers. I really posted here to garner feedback or interest. I have already had enough inquiries to know that they are desired by some. They certainly are not for everyone. I am 5'10" and they helped me in my vehicle. When they are available "for sale" then I will read and follow the forum rules. As I am not a business I doubt I will qualify for, nor do I care to become, a forum vendor. This is because I am a one man part time operation working with all manual machines on nights and weekends. If I had the luxury of owning cnc computerized production machines then I could produce the quantities expected of someone with vendor status.
I do appreciate people taking the time to read my posts and welcome any feedback or suggestions. I apologize if I have wasted your time. I can say my 2014 F150 captains chairs are like a lazy-boy product. I guess since 2015 something changed in the profile of the manual seats with no height adjustments. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 602 Likes on 299 Posts

I think it is a great idea. Would they include bolts also?, or the bolts already in the truck are long enough?
Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM

The grade 10.9 bolts would be included as would free shipping. The ones in the truck are M10-1.5 x 50 mm long. Adding a 1" spacer would require the new 80 mm long provided bolts. I am awaiting answers from my bolt supplier tomorrow. I am not sure if they would be flange bolts because I am not sure how much thread length is required for the F150. Flange bolts only have a shorter amount of useful threads. I can get regular hex head bolts that are fully threaded. Either would be quality grade 10.9 with 150,000 psi tensile strength. The grade 6061 aluminum spacers are extremely strong. You can drop them on concrete and they do not ding. Nearly as hard as soft steel. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

I can see trying a pair of these. I don't like the front to rear rake of the stock suspension, not due to the look of the truck. But, due to the seating position of the truck. Even with the 10 way electric seats I can't find a position that will eliminate that forward leaning feel.

In the past I have used thick washers to shim up the front seat brackets to accomplish this same effect. But, having a solid spacer piece would be a nice alternative to use.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:42 PM

I wanted to provide a better visual of what the spacers actually do to the seating position when used under the rear brackets to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by 8662; 06-10-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: context
Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My father installed a set of these a while back on his previous truck (2000 Silverado). I don't remember his reasoning for it but I think it was because he's short lol. I never thought about installing these for audio upgrades to hide under the seats, good idea.
The following users liked this post:
Slvr (07-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Front seat height spacers (feeler)