Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freezing door latch recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Ryo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Freezing door latch recall

2016 Ford F-150 SCREW 5.0 4X4 Lariat

Has anyone had the recent recall in which ford installs the "water shield" for the prevention of the door latch freezing? Last week I took my truck into my dealership after several problems of my door latches freezing causing the doors to stay locked and once finally freed, the door would not properly close (latch) rendering it a hazard when driving. I would have to hold the door closed while driving. I've seen other on this forum taking a bungee cord to secure the door while driving.

On 12/28/17 Ford installed the recall and claimed that it was fixed, however the next several days the same issue was occurring. Temperatures here in PA are below 20 degrees. I spoke with my deal again and advised them of my troubles, I was told again to bring it in. When I brought it in, they were puzzled and stated that "either way they would fix it". (Not sure what that means). In the meantime I have been speaking with a Lemon Law Attorney who claims that the vehicle is deemed an "unsafe" vehicle because of the doors not being properly secured while in motion. The dealer still has my vehicle and no word yet on a solution.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE RECALL WORK DONE AND IS IT WORKING FOR YOU? Unsure of my next step as I am unfamiliar with how the lemon law works and it sounds as if FORD themselves are puzzled with a FIX
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by ryo150
2016 Ford F-150 SCREW 5.0 4X4 Lariat

Has anyone had the recent recall in which ford installs the "water shield" for the prevention of the door latch freezing? Last week I took my truck into my dealership after several problems of my door latches freezing causing the doors to stay locked and once finally freed, the door would not properly close (latch) rendering it a hazard when driving. I would have to hold the door closed while driving. I've seen other on this forum taking a bungee cord to secure the door while driving.

On 12/28/17 Ford installed the recall and claimed that it was fixed, however the next several days the same issue was occurring. Temperatures here in PA are below 20 degrees. I spoke with my deal again and advised them of my troubles, I was told again to bring it in. When I brought it in, they were puzzled and stated that "either way they would fix it". (Not sure what that means). In the meantime I have been speaking with a Lemon Law Attorney who claims that the vehicle is deemed an "unsafe" vehicle because of the doors not being properly secured while in motion. The dealer still has my vehicle and no word yet on a solution.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE RECALL WORK DONE AND IS IT WORKING FOR YOU? Unsure of my next step as I am unfamiliar with how the lemon law works and it sounds as if FORD themselves are puzzled with a FIX
The recall is the same parts and procedure as the TSB that has since been cancelled. There is a sticky on the top of the first page that probably answers your questions.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in PA did you get the recall worked on? My dealer in Sunbury barely even acknowledged the recall existed and knew nothing of any parts available.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Mine is only on day 2 after the fix but temperatures here in Michigan have been 0 or below overnight and I haven't had any issues. (To be transparent, I hadn't had an issue before)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Dealer out here in California still doesn't have the parts. I make frequent trips to Utah and Denver and just had the truck in 0 degree weather but haven't had any problems
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by redranger04g
Dealer out here in California still doesn't have the parts. I make frequent trips to Utah and Denver and just had the truck in 0 degree weather but haven't had any problems
same here. temps have been in the low teens which is about as cold as its going to get here in nc and i havent had any problems. im probably not even going to bother with it.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
The recall is the same parts and procedure as the TSB that has since been cancelled. There is a sticky on the top of the first page that probably answers your questions.
I noticed that the -X at the end of some parts are different.

For example, TSB 16-0155 shows:
FL3Z-1521978-C Rain Shield Kit - Right Front Door

And recall shows:
FL3Z-1521978-D Front Door Latch Shield Kit

I had the TSB done last year so I’m quite curious about the recall details.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine is on the list but no parts in my area yet guess they are taking care of the northern states first. Tried while truck was at the shop for several other issues.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not a fix but if you have the global windows activated, you can open the door from inside which usually enables the door to latch when closed. Makes it easier to live with it until Ford fixes it the correct way.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:20 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon
I noticed that the -X at the end of some parts are different.

For example, TSB 16-0155 shows:
FL3Z-1521978-C Rain Shield Kit - Right Front Door

And recall shows:
FL3Z-1521978-D Front Door Latch Shield Kit

I had the TSB done last year so I’m quite curious about the recall details.
Ford has bundled the part kits differently but there's no difference in the actual parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmcolegr:
BadBoy4fun_wa (02-10-2018), seadragon (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Freezing door latch recall