Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum users suggested it, Ford did it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Forum users suggested it, Ford did it.

In January of 2013 we had a thread of items to add to the 2015. You can see it here: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/what-f...187931/index2/

Some of the new items we know already, some are yet to be seen until we actually get to order the 2015.

So, let's look back and see how many they put that we suggested?

Here is what I posted:

Here are the items that would take a little bit of time or money, to do.

1. Door detents. – This is an inexpensive item, that should be on EVERY truck! (need more positions)
2. All areas inside the truck (especially under the seat) manufactured with NO sharp edges.
3. Tailgate locks/unlocks with key fob.
4. Lighted buttons on the garage door buttons. Why on a 50K truck is there at least not a middle dot on the button so you can see the buttons in the dark?

Other items that would be nice as options:

1. Heated steering wheel
2. LED bed lights
3. Key fob you can turn lights on/off with (bed, dome, etc)
4. Remote start from your iPhone
5. DVD that plays all types of files.
6. DVD that is available while moving (for passengers / front and back).
7. Front parking sensors/camera
8. Lift up storage in the floor under the back seat.
9. Programmable center gauge where you can put up four items of your choice to display....

Not too shabby as for the "like" items they put into the truck. Ford must read this forum.

On another forum, I put in adaptive cruse and blind spot like the Lincolns.

So what items did you suggest that Ford put in the truck? What items would you still like to see?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by h2ouup2
In January of 2013 we had a thread of items to add to the 2015. You can see it here: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/what-f...187931/index2/

Some of the new items we know already, some are yet to be seen until we actually get to order the 2015.

So, let's look back and see how many they put that we suggested?

Here is what I posted:

Here are the items that would take a little bit of time or money, to do.

1. Door detents. – This is an inexpensive item, that should be on EVERY truck! (need more positions)
2. All areas inside the truck (especially under the seat) manufactured with NO sharp edges.
3. Tailgate locks/unlocks with key fob.
4. Lighted buttons on the garage door buttons. Why on a 50K truck is there at least not a middle dot on the button so you can see the buttons in the dark?

Other items that would be nice as options:

1. Heated steering wheel
2. LED bed lights
3. Key fob you can turn lights on/off with (bed, dome, etc)
4. Remote start from your iPhone
5. DVD that plays all types of files.
6. DVD that is available while moving (for passengers / front and back).
7. Front parking sensors/camera
8. Lift up storage in the floor under the back seat.
9. Programmable center gauge where you can put up four items of your choice to display....

Not too shabby as for the "like" items they put into the truck. Ford must read this forum.

On another forum, I put in adaptive cruse and blind spot like the Lincolns.

So what items did you suggest that Ford put in the truck? What items would you still like to see?
Well....Ford really didnt do all that due to forum suggestions...they did it because the competition has already done much of it already...
And YES, A lot of these features are very nice.
Its funny about the heated steering wheel. My RAM has one and I thought it was kind of ridiculous, but it was part of the package, so what could I do..
But I found out this winter that its..... AWESOME!!!!!

The lighted garage door buttons are nice, my RAM has that.
Our Expedition had front park sensors, they are OK but kind of annoying, I turned them OFF . RAM has them.
Auto locking tailgate is awesome...my RAM has that.
My RAM has remote start from the key fob, but RAM has mobile uConnect and I can start or kill my truck from my iPhone. Its kind of redundant but if you don't have remote start, its cool as hell and you can start it from a much greater distance than you can with the fob. What I really like being able to lock or unlock the truck from anywhere. That has come in handy several times for various reasons.
Lift up floor storage is nice..my RAM has it.

LED bed lighting....GM has that..UGH I even hate typing GM.

Ford upped the bar with a bunch of other neato features like the 360 view camera (which seems excessive) and the adaptive cruise control, however I have heard that adaptive cruise is an exercise in frustration. My neighbor has it in his Benz and manually over rides it. Ive heard it from more than just him though. But hey, I like gadgets and Ford need the features to stay ahead and since my next truck will be a F150, I'll take them! Keep em coming!

The best thing they did IMHO is go aluminum. And they sure didn't get that idea from forums...

Oh, Another cool thing RAM did that is small but very thoughtful is that they put a small, dim little LED light bulb right above the center console. It provides just enough lighting to find stuff in the console without turning on your dome light. So Ford if you read this, which I know you wont, PUT ONE IN THE 2016 F150!! LOL! If there isn't already something like it in the 15. Its not something that would make much news but its very cool.

It would be something on the top line models but Id like to see a cup holder thats heated and cooled. and a real working floor storage cooler.

Id like to see ventilated rear seats.

Id like to see a factory air leveling system option, at least for the rear end. ( I installed an aftermarket auto leveling on m 06 F150, it was super fabulous!)

Thats all I got for now.

Yes, All these cool improvements in our trucks makes It a great time to be a truck guy. LOL!

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Just a note about adaptive cruise control; I have it on my 2011 MKX and it is possibly the single best option I know of next to A/C. Although it took Ford about a year to make it work right (false sensor blocked errors), it works extremely well now in all sorts of weather. It is of course radar based - doubt if any manufacturer still uses camera based adaptive cruise but if they do, that would explain why some find it performs poorly.

I've been looking for a new truck for 2 years and one of the reasons it's taken so long was the hope that someone would offer adaptive cruise. RAM initially said it would be in the 2013 RAM (it was in the original owner's manual) but dropped it and still don't offer it.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Ford's doing pretty well for me with the 2015, but I'd add a few more:
  • A divorce from Microsoft Sync in all permutations, get together with the new Apple in-car division or google.
  • A moratorium on any fake wood appliqué's inside and fake metal appliqués outside.
  • 4A AWD mode optional across all trim levels
The following users liked this post:
OMAC (02-16-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Ford's doing pretty well for me with the 2015, but I'd add a few more:[*]A divorce from Microsoft Sync in all permutations, get together with the new Apple in-car division or google.
The problem with an Apple product is that Apple tends to NOT play nicely with anything that isn't Apple. As clunky as Microsoft products can be, their cross-platform compatibility is ubiquitous. I can plug a Microsoft mp3 player into my truck, or an iPod, iPhone, or Android phone, and they all work. 80% of the Sync© issues I've ever seen as user-error. Most of those folks are going to have trouble with anything more high-tech than the CD player.

Last edited by from_behind; 02-15-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Derodeo
Just a note about adaptive cruise control; I have it on my 2011 MKX and it is possibly the single best option I know of next to A/C. Although it took Ford about a year to make it work right (false sensor blocked errors), it works extremely well now in all sorts of weather. It is of course radar based - doubt if any manufacturer still uses camera based adaptive cruise but if they do, that would explain why some find it performs poorly.

I've been looking for a new truck for 2 years and one of the reasons it's taken so long was the hope that someone would offer adaptive cruise. RAM initially said it would be in the 2013 RAM (it was in the original owner's manual) but dropped it and still don't offer it.
The only person I've met that really likes adaptive cruise control is my insurance agent who has it in his Chrysler 300. The dude wants a RAM truck so bad he can taste it but he wont buy one until they put in that feature. LOL! Now that Ford has it RAM will follow soon.
I bet adaptive cruise is gonna be a love it or hate it feature. Personally, I love it in theory as I'm on the highway a lot I'm certainly hoping it works well.

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-16-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We have adaptive cruise in a Jeep and a Volvo and I love it, but my wife hates it... The key to getting on with the system seems to be if you are a patient driver or not. I'm quite happy to hang back behind other cars in long journeys, letting them slow us down for speed control zones and stop lights. Me wife however gets mad that she wants do be going 72 but we're only doing 71 (usually you don't even notice you've slowed down).
Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by skidsareforkids
We have adaptive cruise in a Jeep and a Volvo and I love it, but my wife hates it... The key to getting on with the system seems to be if you are a patient driver or not. I'm quite happy to hang back behind other cars in long journeys, letting them slow us down for speed control zones and stop lights. Me wife however gets mad that she wants do be going 72 but we're only doing 71 (usually you don't even notice you've slowed down).
True patience is probably key to liking this feature. I'm in the minority, Im never in a hurry so I bet I'll like it. I do hate fiddling with the cruise button adjusting speed, I want to set it and forget it and just go with the flow of traffic. I guarantee most people are moving faster than me so I bet I will like this feature.
Problem is A lot of people are just too impatient and always have to be moving 10-15 over the speed limit. Those people are going to hate it.

I love using cruise during most of my highway driving, The only time I don't use cruise is when I'm towing my boat, as I like to practice the lost art of manual shifting to maximize speed and momentum thus increasing MPG. For me its a fun game and makes for a fun dive.

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-16-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Still no Low Washer fluid warning ??
Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Still no Low Washer fluid warning ??
Is this an option on any car? Just seems odd. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Neon Cowboy (03-06-2014)

Quick Reply: Forum users suggested it, Ford did it.