Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford accessory stupidity

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Ford accessory stupidity

So, I bought a factory soft tonneau when I ordered my 2015 Lariat. Discovered a tear in the front seal causing a leak. Dealer service where I bought it sucks, so I decide to just buy the seal and save time and aggravation. Guess what? The parts department says they don't stock parts for Ford accessories. They direct me to Ford Customer Care and give me a phone number. I call it. They tell my tonneau, which is listed on my sticker, is third party aftermarket. They don't support it. They tell me I must go through the dealer. A nice, tight circle. Nether the dealer or Ford Customer Care can tell me who made it. So, I decided - SCREW THIS. I accepted the aggravation, will end up making FOUR TRIPS to the dealership, so they can give me a $495 BRAND NEW tonneau!

P.S. When I had an issue with my Tuxedo tonneau on another truck, I called them and they sent me new parts for FREE even though it was four years old.

Lesson. Don't buy Ford accessories if you ever think you'll need a replacement part for it. Buy a mudflap, fine. Anything that is assembled and could have an issue - forget it.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Can't argue with that....
Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 291 Likes on 195 Posts

Sounds typical. I hope they fix it and it's covered!

I always go aftermarket, never the oem accessories unless they are truly unique. For example, I got the Ford bed extender because it's nicer than the after market ones. But I went with line x, Truxedo, and husky for everything else for a reason!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the ford tonneau cover on my 16 and it is made by truxedo, so maybe they can help this time too.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Mr. Pickles

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh jeez, I got one of those too. Crap!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by chief_bs
So, I bought a factory soft tonneau when I ordered my 2015 Lariat. Discovered a tear in the front seal causing a leak. Dealer service where I bought it sucks, so I decide to just buy the seal and save time and aggravation. Guess what? The parts department says they don't stock parts for Ford accessories. They direct me to Ford Customer Care and give me a phone number. I call it. They tell my tonneau, which is listed on my sticker, is third party aftermarket. They don't support it. They tell me I must go through the dealer. A nice, tight circle. Nether the dealer or Ford Customer Care can tell me who made it. So, I decided - SCREW THIS. I accepted the aggravation, will end up making FOUR TRIPS to the dealership, so they can give me a $495 BRAND NEW tonneau!

P.S. When I had an issue with my Tuxedo tonneau on another truck, I called them and they sent me new parts for FREE even though it was four years old.

Lesson. Don't buy Ford accessories if you ever think you'll need a replacement part for it. Buy a mudflap, fine. Anything that is assembled and could have an issue - forget it.
Agreed. I purposely didn't get the Ford tonneau mainly because I knew I could better one for less money. Sorry you had to deal with all of that.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chief_bs
So, I bought a factory soft tonneau when I ordered my 2015 Lariat. Discovered a tear in the front seal causing a leak. Dealer service where I bought it sucks, so I decide to just buy the seal and save time and aggravation. Guess what? The parts department says they don't stock parts for Ford accessories. They direct me to Ford Customer Care and give me a phone number. I call it. They tell my tonneau, which is listed on my sticker, is third party aftermarket. They don't support it. They tell me I must go through the dealer. A nice, tight circle. Nether the dealer or Ford Customer Care can tell me who made it. So, I decided - SCREW THIS. I accepted the aggravation, will end up making FOUR TRIPS to the dealership, so they can give me a $495 BRAND NEW tonneau! P.S. When I had an issue with my Tuxedo tonneau on another truck, I called them and they sent me new parts for FREE even though it was four years old. Lesson. Don't buy Ford accessories if you ever think you'll need a replacement part for it. Buy a mudflap, fine. Anything that is assembled and could have an issue - forget it.
i've never ever had issues with the car dealership I deal with and they been very kind LINCOLN Heights Ford in Ottawa Ont
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

I had a Ford Tonneau on my 2011. Just before I traded it in, I noticed a very small tear in the top by the first fold. It was obvious it was from folding it and the dealer replaced it no questions asked. I traded the truck in and put it on my '14. I am hoping it will still fit on my '16 as I typically don't use the tonneau in the summer unless I am travelling or camping.

I think one of the things here may be you need to purchase the accessories at the time of the truck deal in order for them to be covered by the vehicle warranty (3yrs/60k kms in Canada) or else it may just be the accessory warranty whatever that is. When I bought my 2011 I had $1,000 in free Ford accessories that O had to use up which was tough even with the tonneau. I still have a drawbar or two and a bug shield in the boxes I should probably sell or something.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

First, just because you have an issue, it isn't "Ford's stupidity". Let's start with your dealer. If you were told it was 3rd party, a little research should tell you who made it and then you contact them.

This forum is full of people who have an problem that effects just them or a small group of owners. They don't do the research, don't go to their dealer and calmly ask for help, and blame Ford. While some issues can honestly be laid on Ford (rough shift '15s, doors that don't align because the cab is out of square, the engine fell out, etc) most issues are not major (except to the individual) and make this forum look like a bunch of whiners.

There are problems that really do need to be here, but wear and tear issues for a folding cover, probably not.

I suggest you find out who made your cover and contact them. Hopefully they will have an answer you can live with and take care of the issue. If they do, post the information so others who have similar problems can contact them for a remedy. If they don't, name them here so others are aware of their lack of customer support.

I've had a few minor issues with my truck, but the dealer has either corrected them or has made the effort to get them corrected. I'm waiting for Ford support to give me answer on why Ford's apps won't work in my Lariat (Ford Owner app says my truck doesn't have Sync 3 on the Sync 3 screen) and updates for maps which are missing entire Interstate highways.

I bought a manufactured product. They are not all perfect to my specifications and needs. I paid $50k for the truck and understand that.

Rant over.
The following users liked this post:
HuskyOwner (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you tried a different dealer?
The sales team at my local dealer is wonderful, the service department is very underwhelming.
I drive to the next town to have my fords serviced, the service department at that dealer is awesom. The sales team needs some polish.
I know it's a crazy setup but it works for me.

Quick Reply: Ford accessory stupidity