Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First week with my new 19 King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default First week with my new 19 King Ranch

It’s been just a week since I took delivery of my new 2019 F150 KR 3.5 V6 EcoBoost.

Candidly, it’s exceeded all expectations. I bought it through a broker and was so confident in the truck I bought it sight unseen, without even a test drive.

Honestly there’s almost nothing I can complain about. If I’m picking nits I could cite the small amount of wind noise which I believe is “dirty air” from the big side rearview mirrors, and the choice of relatively low profile tires (mine has the 20 inch cast aluminum wheels) which give the truck a harsher ride than it would have with a slightly taller sidewall tire. More on that later.

I bought the truck with the intent of towing a few cars from California to Colorado and so opted for the tow package. I also chose a few other upgrades, some of which I didn’t even realize I had for the first few days of ownership (Park Assist, Massage seats, etc.). I’m hoping this truck will last me many years so I went big when I chose the truck I wanted.

Aside from the power, seamless transmission, comfort, compliant ride, and overall adaptability depending on conditions, I’m amazed at the driver aids. In a car that I wanted to really drive I’d find them annoying and unnecessary, but for a tool for chewing up miles, hauling stuff, and handling a wide variety of weather, the King Ranch is king. The adaptive cruise control is fantastic once you learn to trust it...I can see how on a long trip it would reduce mental stress significantly.

I am perplexed why Ford chose the low profile tires....I think they’re 75 series tires, and a taller sidewall would surely fit and offer a more comfortable ride.

I love the autostop/start feature and use the Eco Mode for most driving. It would be neat to have it default to that mode upon startup. Is that possible?

I do appreciate that aesthetic upgrade of leveling the rake out of the stance but I’m more about function than form. For those who tow under 6K pounds, have you leveled your truck and found that the trailer unweights the front end at all? It would seem not to be an issue unless the tow weight was much higher.

In any event, for now she needs nothing other than miles under her belt.

-the ChiefGearhead
The following users liked this post:
Gbosin (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 998 Likes on 674 Posts

They are nice aren't they? I`ve had my `15 KR for a year now & can`t think of another truck I would rather have.
Apples (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

I am perplexed why Ford chose the low profile tires....I think they’re 75 series tires, and a taller sidewall would surely fit and offer a more comfortable ride.

Welcome aboard. Perhaps you mis-typed, but a 75-series tire is not a low profile in the traditional sense. 55 series might be.

I do appreciate that aesthetic upgrade of leveling the rake out of the stance but I’m more about function than form. For those who tow under 6K pounds, have you leveled your truck and found that the trailer unweights the front end at all? It would seem not to be an issue unless the tow weight was much higher.

The rear spring rates on anything other than maybe the HDPP trucks are pretty soft, and as soon as you hang 200 lbs on the hitch or 400 lbs over the axle the ride height drops over an inch. What I recommend is one of several rear spring "helpers" but one where initial ride height is only minimally affected, and where ride quality is actually improved: the Roadmaster Active Suspension.

If you wish to raise the front of your truck by whichever means (I prefer to do it with a good damper with provisions for spring saddle height adjustment such as the Bilstein 5100 or 6112), then you may control the rear suspension drop from added weight with the RAS.

While I did have a rental '18 for a few days where it's dampers (shocks) seemed a big improvement over my factory '16, your truck will need new dampers sooner than the typical 40,000 miles. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Yup

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

For putting in your preferred driving mode on startup, you are looking for this (if you have the floor shifter).
ChiefGearhead (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Thank you Sharkhunt!

-the ChiefGearhead

Originally Posted by Sharkhunt
For putting in your preferred driving mode on startup, you are looking for this (if you have the floor shifter).
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Apples
Welcome aboard. Perhaps you mis-typed, but a 75-series tire is not a low profile in the traditional sense. 55 series might be.

Typo indeed! Would that they were 75 series tires.

The rear spring rates on anything other than maybe the HDPP trucks are pretty soft, and as soon as you hang 200 lbs on the hitch or 400 lbs over the axle the ride height drops over an inch. What I recommend is one of several rear spring "helpers" but one where initial ride height is only minimally affected, and where ride quality is actually improved: the Roadmaster Active Suspension.

If you wish to raise the front of your truck by whichever means (I prefer to do it with a good damper with provisions for spring saddle height adjustment such as the Bilstein 5100 or 6112), then you may control the rear suspension drop from added weight with the RAS.

Thanks for the reference. My truck has the “tow package” which I would hope would be able to tow a few thousand pounds without any additional mods. I’ll see how things go with some short test runs.

While I did have a rental '18 for a few days where it's dampers (shocks) seemed a big improvement over my factory '16, your truck will need new dampers sooner than the typical 40,000 miles. Good luck!
Thanks again!

-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Unhappy Oh man.....

Originally Posted by ChiefGearhead
It’s been just a week since I took delivery of my new 2019 F150 KR 3.5 V6 EcoBoost.

Candidly, it’s exceeded all expectations. I bought it through a broker and was so confident in the truck I bought it sight unseen, without even a test drive.

Honestly there’s almost nothing I can complain about. If I’m picking nits I could cite the small amount of wind noise which I believe is “dirty air” from the big side rearview mirrors, and the choice of relatively low profile tires (mine has the 20 inch cast aluminum wheels) which give the truck a harsher ride than it would have with a slightly taller sidewall tire. More on that later.

I bought the truck with the intent of towing a few cars from California to Colorado and so opted for the tow package. I also chose a few other upgrades, some of which I didn’t even realize I had for the first few days of ownership (Park Assist, Massage seats, etc.). I’m hoping this truck will last me many years so I went big when I chose the truck I wanted.

Aside from the power, seamless transmission, comfort, compliant ride, and overall adaptability depending on conditions, I’m amazed at the driver aids. In a car that I wanted to really drive I’d find them annoying and unnecessary, but for a tool for chewing up miles, hauling stuff, and handling a wide variety of weather, the King Ranch is king. The adaptive cruise control is fantastic once you learn to trust it...I can see how on a long trip it would reduce mental stress significantly.

I love the autostop/start feature and use the Eco Mode for most driving. It would be neat to have it default to that mode upon startup. Is that possible?

-the ChiefGearhead
I was really enjoying this write up until.......it got to the Stop Start adoration. Oh well

Quick Reply: First week with my new 19 King Ranch