Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firs Oil Change Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Firs Oil Change Opinions

Hi, I’m about to do the first oil change on my 2018 XLT 4X4 Sport 2.7 Ecoboost. I didn’t buy the truck until almost the end of December. This is the reason I’m just about to do my first oil change. I definitely want to use a FULL SYNTHETIC OIL. I’d like to get some opinions on which brand you recommend and why. I’m also trying to figure out which oil filter to go with.
I would like to get a high quality one. I’ve watched some YouTube videos on oil filters and a lot of people like the Fram Ultra Synthetic, but it doesn’t look to me that they make one for my truck. A lot of people say the other Frams are garbage.
Thanks in advance...
Old 06-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

basically anything that meets the manufacturers specs, SN+, Dexos 2 5w-30 grade. Very limited in options for oil cartridges. Run what you can find or Ford.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm in the take to Ford dealer, let them put whatever in, than its all on there back.
As far as timing I wait till truck says change. Did my first in a year and a half
only because dealer sent me a coupon. Otherwise still be on factory fill, the
dealer said it did not need to be changed, right on mark and still clean
at 5K
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

amsoil, filter k&n, mobile 1,
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Filter - Motorcraft, K&N, or Mobil 1
Oil - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Those are my recommendations for cost effective, high quality stuff. There's better, but not for the price. Cheaper stuff saves a few pennies, but isn't as good.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Sport
Hi, I’m about to do the first oil change on my 2018 XLT 4X4 Sport 2.7 Ecoboost. I didn’t buy the truck until almost the end of December. This is the reason I’m just about to do my first oil change. I definitely want to use a FULL SYNTHETIC OIL. I’d like to get some opinions on which brand you recommend and why. I’m also trying to figure out which oil filter to go with.
I would like to get a high quality one. I’ve watched some YouTube videos on oil filters and a lot of people like the Fram Ultra Synthetic, but it doesn’t look to me that they make one for my truck. A lot of people say the other Frams are garbage.
Thanks in advance...
Obviously, anything of the correct weight, API cert, and Ford cert as prescribed by the manual is okay.

That said, Castrol Mangatec or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Castrol Edge. Should be able to get one or the other at Walmart or Amazon for like $24-$30 for 6 quarts. The Motorcraft filter is supposed to be pretty good and is like $6 so hard to beat that. The Fram Ultra is one of the best there is as well, IDK if there is one for a 2.7 or not. If in doubt on filter I'd get the Motorcraft. Or Mobil 1. Change at not more than 5k miles or 1 year (fuel dilution)

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-11-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Obviously, anything of the correct weight, API cert, and Ford cert as prescribed by the manual is okay.

That said, Castrol Mangatec or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Castrol Edge. Should be able to get one or the other at Walmart or Amazon for like $24-$30 for 6 quarts.
Oil Filter, anything "standard replacement" or better on the linked page from Rock Auto. Note the cost of the Motorcraft compared to the others. There is a reason. Wix has been my standard for a long time in cartridge filters. Fram Tough and Ultra are more than up to the task.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+filter,5340

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

I own 5 trucks (3 diesels) and buy all my filters from www.fleetfilter.com online. Wix/ NAPA gold at about 60% of the price of my local NAPA store. Been using Mobil1 oil in all my gas engines for years. No reason to change.

Why do so many people start these threads about asking which oil to use because they bought a new vehicle? What did you use in your last one? Or did you not even bother?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 617 Likes on 287 Posts

[QUOTE=Skwerl;6227814
Why do so many people start these threads about asking which oil to use because they bought a new vehicle? What did you use in your last one? Or did you not even bother?[/QUOTE]
Maybe his former vehicle is very old, and wondering what folks are using in the newer vehicles? This is my first vehicle that requires a synthetic blend, but I run full synthetic, based on info found by asking on this forum.
For the record? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for me.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 1,212 Likes on 757 Posts

I just did mine and used Castrol Edge but only because it was $5 cheaper than the Mobile 1. As long as it is full synthetic I don't care what I put in.

Quick Reply: Firs Oil Change Opinions