Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faint Grinding Noise When Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Faint Grinding Noise When Stopping

I just started noticing a faint grinding like noise/vibration when coming to a stop. Its not metal on metal brake pads, I know exactly what that sounds like, lol. My truck only has 39k miles and just started doing this and I can only hear it when i'm rolling to a complete stop. Other than when i get that slow, everything is normal.

Any ideas?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

Head out to a clear stripe of road. Get up to around 60 or so then slam on the brakes. Don't stop get back up to speed fast then do it again. Do this two or three times. The last one don't stop just get back up to speed and stay off the brakes for a little while until they cool down on there own. That should help.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Don't laugh at what I'm about to say, it happened to me.
I see in your sig how you have your truck set up. Very similar to my '12 except for engine. I had my brakes go very early, IIRC, around 45k miles, and it was the "rear" brakes, not the front. I know, odd.
Anyway, I noticed when making a left turn, sometimes my TCS light would come on, and I could feel it working, on dry pavement in 2H. With the set up I had, and a couple other guys on here, that would happen. It supposedly was because of the higher center of gravity, tires, who knows what. I'm not sure if that did it or not. What I am saying, is check out your rear brakes, they could worn to the point that they are the problem.
No, it's 0910 in the morning, I usually start drinking around 2000, and I'm all out of weed.
Just an idea!
The following 2 users liked this post by johnday in BFE:
Everett Bennett (08-13-2020), jrod0187 (10-22-2022)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what mine does....dealership is now waiting for the infamous IWE parts that are on backorder....
Old 02-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2017 Lariat 3.5 EB 10 spd and I’m having the same problem. Doesn’t always do it and seems to be random. Took it to the dealership and asked them to look at the brakes. They came back and said the brakes were fine but the truck was out of alignment and that was their reasoning for the noise. I recently put a leveling kit on the truck and know for a fact it is in perfect alignment. Even took it back to the shop to have them check it again and they let me come out while it was on the rack to show me the alignment was spot on.

Have done research and read a lot about the IWE issues, however this seems to be different. It’s a much quieter grinding/rubbing noise and only does it while coming to a stop. You can also feel it in the brake pedal. From the stuff I have read I ended up changing the IWE check valve that was so often mentioned just for kicks and giggles. But the truck still makes the noise.

Last edited by RH748; 02-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RH748:
Greenvalleykid (02-25-2020), JeredS (04-07-2021)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has been in the shop this week. Thought was fixed with selenoid, check valve. Thought was rotor/brakes but new rotor and still present. Had exact symptoms for two months now. IWE ordered but national back order. Said could be 1 week to 2 months. geez
Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by sking0621
Mine has been in the shop this week. Thought was fixed with selenoid, check valve. Thought was rotor/brakes but new rotor and still present. Had exact symptoms for two months now. IWE ordered but national back order. Said could be 1 week to 2 months. geez
That’s what I was afraid to hear. Made an appointment to take it in tomorrow, but the mechanics have never been able to duplicate the noise. I’ll just keep taking it back until they decide to do something about it. Was hoping it would be a simple fix but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
The following users liked this post:
Everett Bennett (08-13-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I'm not sure what you guys have going on. The dealers, at least some, like to replace the IWE it seems at first sign of anything going on in the front.
I won't say it's the IWE in any case.
What we can try, to help isolate the problems you guys are having.
Remove the vacuum supply at the solenoid
Plug or cap the open end
Start truck and take off, in 2H
At this point, the hubs IWEs will be pulled in
You can drive it like that until the cows come home, as long as you don't put it in 4H/4L on dry pavement or high friction surface. Just use it like you would normally. The only difference is the IWEs are engaged
Still hear the noise?
The following users liked this post:
Mstah92 (12-02-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm experiencing something very similar. Ford looked at the brakes and said rotors and pads looked good. Doesn't do it in reverse only coming to a stop at like 5-10 mph going forward

Makes no difference if I'm in 4h or 2wd. Noise happens either way. I replaced check valve that didn't fix it. Thinking it could have been a vacuum issue. I thought the noise was coming from the front but now I'm not so sure. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the rear? Idk

Last edited by BShadows; 02-15-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
I'm not sure what you guys have going on. The dealers, at least some, like to replace the IWE it seems at first sign of anything going on in the front.
I won't say it's the IWE in any case.
What we can try, to help isolate the problems you guys are having.
Remove the vacuum supply at the solenoid
Plug or cap the open end
Start truck and take off, in 2H
At this point, the hubs IWEs will be pulled in
You can drive it like that until the cows come home, as long as you don't put it in 4H/4L on dry pavement or high friction surface. Just use it like you would normally. The only difference is the IWEs are engaged
Still hear the noise?
I’ll have to give it a try and let you know. The problem is that some days you won’t hear it at all and other days it will do it quite often. It’s just random and doesn’t seem to be a specific condition that is causing it. It just always happens when slowing down to come to a stop.

It seems like a lot of people with IWE issues notice it while accelerating and at higher speeds. I’m starting to wonder if it’s something totally different...

Quick Reply: Faint Grinding Noise When Stopping