Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Tailgate Recall 21M06 - Anyone had this done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default F150 Tailgate Recall 21M06 - Anyone had this done?

My 2019 F150 has been at dealer for 4 days. It was in (2nd time) for a harsh 10R80 shifting diagnoses.
To address the shift issue the dealer applied the first step of TSB 23-2250 which is the TCM/PCM and Adaptive Shift re-program. This is noted as a 1 hour procedure.

They then proceeded (without notifying me) to order parts to apply Tailgate Recall 21M06 (Certain 2015-2020 Model Year F-150 Vehicles Equipped with a Power Release Tailgate - Unintended Tailgate Opening).
Not hearing from them on the 4th day I stopped in and the vehicle was parked in the back of the lot and asked why. I was told they were waiting on parts for the tailgate recall. I was pissed and asked why they didn't tell me they intended on doing this and stated I had been out of a vehicle for 4 days and all they did was a 1 hour adaptive shift upload and ordered parts for a tailgate recall i did not even authorize.
Sorry for the rant.
I previously had chosen not to do the 19N06 frozen door latch recall as I read a lot about others saying there door was never the same after this "fix". Also, I'm in southern VA and only occasionally have harsh freezing weather etc.
I had not heard of the tailgate recall and though I don't mind having it done (no charge) but I'm concerned about the quality of this dealer and also curious if others have had it done.
Has anyone had the 21M06 Tailgate fix applied to their truck and were there any issues after having it done?
Attached Files
Old 11-11-2023, 12:10 PM

Received 3,000 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Many dealers will do this.

Ford pays them to do the recall work so they tend to grab as much of it as they can when doing other work to warranty vehicles.
Its easy money for them at an inconvenience to you.
Yes, it is annoying and I would have been pissed as well.
What my dealer would have done is order the parts and given me back my truck and told me they would be fixing the tailgate on my next visit.
My dealer would not have left me without truck for 4 days.

Now to answer your question, no...there is no change in the operation of the tailgate after the update has been made.
So no worries.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:39 PM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

21M06 is a CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) and is supposed to be performed only on vehicles where the customer has complained about unintentional tailgate opening. It also provides an additional warranty against repairs required from damage due to unintentional tailgate opening. It is just an extension of 20M03 which only covered MY 2015-2018.

I've had Recall 20S01 (DOT2020-023) performed on my truck even though I never had any tailgate issues. I've continued, since then, to not have any unintentional openings. I did have to replace the release actuator recently due to it not always working when it was hot. I believe 20S01 was only for Canadian trucks and the US dealt with the issue as a TSB rather than a DOT Recall.

For what its worth, I've also had Recalls 20S08 and 19G01 for block heater cord issues, Recall 17S33 for door issues, and Recall 20S031 for master cylinder, although I never had problems with any of them.

From what I can see, your dealership should not be doing anything to your tailgate unless you complain.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@Stu Cazzo They had another 2019 in there and had "sh*t" and parts laying all over the shop floor and i was like hmmmm. Also - the posts I read about the problems folks had with the door after that recall made me wonder.

@52merc - yes i see on the CSP where it says "(if needed)". As mentioned I wasn't even aware of the tailgate recall nor did they tell me they ordered parts and plan to do it. Glad you dont have issues with any of the other recalls. I had read where some guys door rattled and clunked and was never the same.

I guess now i feel obligated to have it done as it would be my luck that if i don't, the damn thing will open and cause an accident, then I'll be liable since i opted out of the repair. (Paranoid perhaps!? hahaha)
Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a lot of issues with my 2018 tailgate unintended opening. Back in 2019 Ford replaced the actuator and wiring harness which stopped the unintended opening.

I think it was 2021 when we got the field service action you are talking about. Ford changed the latches to better ones IMO. The old ones were very sticky and would stick open, particularly when it was cold. Very annoying, since it is -20 much of the year up here.

The new latches work way better, smoother and more responsive in our case. And oh yeah, that dealer messed up by not giving you back the truck and rescheduling service.

Last edited by RP1K9; 11-12-2023 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fairway Fatty (11-14-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 06:30 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,262 Likes on 846 Posts

Part of every dealer service is supposed to be a check to see if any factory recalls apply to your vehicle and are still outstanding. If they find one, they are going to perform it, probably without even asking if you want it fixed. Especially if it's determined to be a safety issue, like a tailgate that opens by itself, or DRLs that shine too bright at night. My dealer fixed my tailgate, which wasn't having any problems, and I still don't have any tailgate problems.

Extending your service for 4 days due to needed parts for a recall is not usual practice, and should have been discussed with you.

Last edited by Taggart; 11-11-2023 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fairway Fatty (11-14-2023)

Quick Reply: F150 Tailgate Recall 21M06 - Anyone had this done?