Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Ecoboost 3.5 towing a towable Fifth-er's

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts
Default F150 Ecoboost 3.5 towing a towable Fifth-er's

We have own many campers all bumper pulls and I see more and more people pulling these small fifth wheels. Lets here for you all that are doing it and what is your experience.

We have a Grand Design now 2150RB and it tow like a dream with my f150, but just pondering on these small fifth wheels. I am getting the itch to get a camper again. We trade and pay cash about every two to three years. Also may wait when we retire we will get a large fifth-er and a diesel truck. Right now I can't say it will be a ford... ???

Looking at these.

Here is my 2015 Lariat 3.5 Eco weight plate.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Shooting from the hip with what little I know, you'll need a special hitch to pull a 5th wheel with a 5.5ft bed. Ford specifically states on the tow ratings that you shouldn't tow a 5th wheel with the SCREW with the 5.5FT bed. Someone with more knowledge will probably be able to help further.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also interested to find out what other folks respond with.
The following users liked this post:
kendive (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SContiVT
Shooting from the hip with what little I know, you'll need a special hitch to pull a 5th wheel with a 5.5ft bed. Ford specifically states on the tow ratings that you shouldn't tow a 5th wheel with the SCREW with the 5.5FT bed. Someone with more knowledge will probably be able to help further.

Yea that is not a problem there is plenty of hitches out there and that will take months of research before I would even get one. LOL
Old 06-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 268 Likes on 209 Posts

what's your yellow payload sticker say? That is the limiting factor here more than the gcwr.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_May19.pdf has specific weights, 9,900lbs max for a screw 3.5eb 4x4 145"wb, but your payload will limit you to a smaller trailer.

Last edited by stowaway; 06-24-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by stowaway
what's your yellow payload sticker say? That is the limiting factor here more than the gcwr.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_May19.pdf has specific weights, 9,900lbs max for a screw 3.5eb 4x4 145"wb, but your payload will limit you to a smaller trailer.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

From experience your truck will not safely nor comfortably pull a fifth wheel camper. See my SIG below.
I wanted to stay with a 1/2 ton truck for practical reasons so after much research an HDPP F150 was the truck I got. Even then there are many TTs that are promoted as 1/2 ton towable but aren't. I might have gone a little bigger but 30' RV length is the max for most state and national park campgrounds.
Also I'm not all that happy with Grand Design build quality and customer service right now. I've had it for three months and I'm having quite a few issues because of inferior parts and the way things were put together. Also the first customer service rep I dealt with, supervisor Gerry Weaver was worthless when I needed him.
My new rig the first time out. Post #5188 in this thread.: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/lets-s...6837/index525/

Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-24-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
From experience your truck will not safely nor comfortably pull a fifth wheel camper. See my SIG below.
I wanted to stay with a 1/2 ton truck for practical reasons so after much research an HDPP F150 was the truck I got. Even then there are many TTs that are promoted as 1/2 ton towable but aren't. I might have gone a little bigger but 30' RV length is the max for most state and national park campgrounds.
Also I'm not all that happy with Grand Design build quality and customer service right now. I've had it for three months and I'm having quite a few issues because of inferior parts and the way things were put together. Also the first customer service rep I dealt with, supervisor Gerry Weaver was worthless when I needed him.
My new rig the first time out. Post #5188 in this thread.: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/lets-s...6837/index525/

Yea I figured as much... I just thought I would get some input from people that have done it. Sorry to hear you are having issues... We just had one bedroom window leak when it rain but I took care of it myself. I usually don't ever use warranty for the camper I fix myself. Unless the 1k items go like the fridge, AC etc... then I would have them replace, but the fridge I have studied and I could probably handle any issue myself. The AC if the comp goes out better to get them to buy you a new one. Warranty is like three years on them. You could tap into the lines and recharge yourself but probably not worth the trouble. Our 2150RB is still really new. It still works for us, but if we plan on bringing now two grand babies then might need more room. Emily is 5 and Logan is 1. Can't just bring one. They would cause some hate. LOL right now Logan is two young to know better.

They are a hand full...

Same with the truck unless it's dead. I'm fixing myself. I don't trust them idiots at the ford dealer...

I will wait on the fifth wheel until we are ready to full time and get a bigger truck.

Thanks...

Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kendive
Don’t forget to add in the weight of hitch to payload. Pluse a passenger.
Like already said, you’re overweight.
The following users liked this post:
kendive (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourbtgait
Don’t forget to add in the weight of hitch to payload. Pluse a passenger.
Like already said, you’re overweight.
plus the driver....driver is not included in the calculation of available payload. oh, and all the added weight for anything you put in the camper (and the tongue weight they list is always dry so you have to add weight for the battery, lp, water, etc too)

Quick Reply: F150 Ecoboost 3.5 towing a towable Fifth-er's