Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extang solid fold with undercover swing cases?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Extang solid fold with undercover swing cases?

Does anyone know if the extang solid fold 2.0 is compatible with the undercover swing cases? Im considering this cover but already have the undercover swing cases on both sides. I am wondering if the clamp handle that attaches the cover will clear the top of the swing boxes and be able to function properly.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The site states that it, but won't I'm wondering if you first swing the can out, can you then reach the cover clamp.
In all the videos and images I've seen of the swing can, it doesn't seem to swing out 180, but sits at an odd angle over the gate.
The following users liked this post:
15guardxlt (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by peterbarker11
The site states that it, but won't I'm wondering if you first swing the can out, can you then reach the cover clamp. In all the videos and images I've seen of the swing can, it doesn't seem to swing out 180, but sits at an odd angle over the gate.
Thank you. I didnt see that on the website. I dont mind doing that but i dont want to order a cover and install it to find out that it wont close with my swing boxes installed.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

The way the swingcase hugs the rail of the truck I would guess it will be an issue...

But they are all one huge sisterhood of companies now so I would guess a couple phone calls would give you a final answer.

Luke Kyle - Owner
Truck Alterations
http://www.truckalterations.com
luke@truckalterations.com
15guardxlt (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:45 AM

Sorry about the typo. The swing can site states it won't work with the solid fold 2.0.
I haven't seen the cans in real time, so I'm not certain how close they sit to the side of the box. i.e. if there is enough room to accommodate the solid fold hand while latched.
I'm also doubtful the swing can would swing out enough to give easy access to the tonneau handle.
I have considered rigging a different (shorter) latch assembly on the tonneau as they are removable.
I have even considered removing the top of the can to accommodate the handle.
I have been searching for a similar solution, but have only found the bed pockets which require drilling into the box.
I haven't reached that point yet, so I will most likely use the adjustable cargo bars with folding storage boxes.
Still not as convenient, but will allow me to control the kit in my box.
All the best
15guardxlt (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Sorry about the typo. The swing can site states it won't work with the solid fold 2.0. I haven't seen the cans in real time, so I'm not certain how close they sit to the side of the box. i.e. if there is enough room to accommodate the solid fold hand while latched. I'm also doubtful the swing can would swing out enough to give easy access to the tonneau handle. I have considered rigging a different (shorter) latch assembly on the tonneau as they are removable. I have even considered removing the top of the can to accommodate the handle. I have been searching for a similar solution, but have only found the bed pockets which require drilling into the box. I haven't reached that point yet, so I will most likely use the adjustable cargo bars with folding storage boxes. Still not as convenient, but will allow me to control the kit in my box. All the best
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 AM

I think im going to get an extang solid fold 2.0 that works with a toolbox. I miss the convenience of a toolbox but need a tonneau cover as well. My bakflip works great it just isnt what i need. I need the convenience of the tookbox without having to keep folding the cover up and down all day since i use my truck as a work truck.

My only concern is that i will have $1400 worth of bakflip, bakbox, and undercover swing cases sitting around and wont be able to find a buyer. Im willing to take a loss on them if i can recoup half of my money but i have the 6.5' bed and most people dont put covers on them and there arent nearly as many of them around as the shorter bed.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Hey 15guardxlt
Kijiji is the way to go. If you are patient, things will always find a buyer especially at 50% the original cost.
I've sold things after they have been on Kijiji for months.
I really wanted the bakflip and bakbox, but really didn't want to install rails.
Also, I needed quick access to the full bed, and the easy removal of the solid fold makes this possible.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:05 AM

Hey 15guardxlt Kijiji is the way to go. If you are patient, things will always find a buyer especially at 50% the original cost. I've sold things after they have been on Kijiji for months. I really wanted the bakflip and bakbox, but really didn't want to install rails. Also, I needed quick access to the full bed, and the easy removal of the solid fold makes this possible.
Im gonna sound stupid but i have no idea what kijiji is
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Ahh, It might just be a Canadian thing. Its an online yardsale.
15guardxlt (03-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Extang solid fold with undercover swing cases?