Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extang solid fold 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Extang solid fold 2.0

Anyone ever use this cover? I like how it’s over the rails, but can’t decide between this or a one piece undercover lid.

How’s the quality and durability in this particular one?
Old 12-23-2020, 09:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one and love it. I initially wanted a bakflip but found a basically new solid fold 2.0 for $500 on Facebook marketplace and I couldn’t resist. Now that I have it I’ve had countless people ask about it and wonder what kind it is as they are interested in it.
It’s not completely water tight on severe rains. There might be a cup of water that comes in on one side. I could probably adjust it a bit and fix it but it’s not enough to bother me.

I think the quality was durability is in line with that they cost. It’s got a good weight to it, the components feel well made and the color seems to hold up to the sun. No complaints from me.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Tonno, same as the 2.0 with the front panel lock and you can fold the front panel back for access. Over 2 years and holding up very well. All rubber seals at the folds in good shape. Do a lot of hunting and sporting clays. Love having the hard panels to set guns, gear on as I get set up. So do my buddy's with there soft covers. They all like it until they hear the price. To me it was well worth it. I really like the front panel access. Bought a toy hauler and when it's hitched to the truck I can't put the tailgate all the way down. Nice to have access the the front of the box.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:06 PM

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrobins27
I have one and love it. I initially wanted a bakflip but found a basically new solid fold 2.0 for $500 on Facebook marketplace and I couldn’t resist. Now that I have it I’ve had countless people ask about it and wonder what kind it is as they are interested in it.
It’s not completely water tight on severe rains. There might be a cup of water that comes in on one side. I could probably adjust it a bit and fix it but it’s not enough to bother me.

I think the quality was durability is in line with that they cost. It’s got a good weight to it, the components feel well made and the color seems to hold up to the sun. No complaints from me.
I have a extang not the 2.0 but the encore. i agree with dbrobins the quality of the extang covers is outstanding, very solid and looks great!
Old 12-24-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had one!

I had one for a few weeks, you might want to check lower rated reviews. The first night I had it on it rained and there was quite a bit of water in bed. I thought ok seals need to settle in, this was not the case after going back and forth with Extant (which I have and still use their products) I took pictures and videos of leak and test I performed. I poured water on panels to the frame but not over the hinges water leaked through at the frame of panels. So not only would this not keep contents of bed dry but in freezing areas panel and frame would get even worse from ice expansion.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:52 PM

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

It wont look right. An F150 cover will have a rounded rear edge that matches the round bed edge. When these don't match it looks goofy. Is it local? If so ask to try out fit.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:37 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

I had the original and the updated Solid Fold on my previous 2010 F150. I went with an Extang snap on cover for the 2012 because of the issues with the Solid Fold. The Solid Fold was very poorly made. Hinges caught debris and buckled and bent top panels. That was a design flaw I later found about from a dealer who sold the Solid Fold covers along with their competition. Also hinge seals would fail and leak which updated version mainly fixed. Exchange was a nightmare with UPS damaging panel as Extang didn't double box the tonneau cover. The soft snap on cover i later bought for the 2012, with added seals in the corners, was pretty water tight and didn't leak hardly at all. I will say Extang is a great company that backs their products and has excellent customer support. The reason why I bought their premium snap on cover but their Solid Fold covers were poor.

I ended up buying a Leer Trilogy cover which has been Excellent and was on my 2016 and my 2019 F150. Leer no long rebadges it with their name but it's still sold as a Rugged Cover HC3 Premium cover. It's the exact same cover with the dual seals and LED lighting. It's a bargain for $800 and even the $850 it sold for as a Leer Trilogy cover. I know at least 3 other coworkers who bought it and are extremely happy with it. They bought it when Rugged Liner was affiliated with Leer and as the Leer Trilogy Cover. The companies obviously parted ways and why Leer isn't allowed to rebadge the Rugged Cover HC3 anymore. The cover only leaked in the winter when water froze to the side seals and worked the seals up. Even then it was right by the edge and doesn't leak if the seals don't get frozen.

BTW, both the Rugged Cover HC3/Trilogy Cover and Solid Fold covers, were a cover that sat on top of the bed rails and clamped on to the front and rear corners. The clamps are built into the cover so there's absolutely no hardware on the truck bed. These are the best designs and covers that lay on the bed's side rails instead of hardware inside the truck bed. The covers that use hardware inside of the truck bed tend to leak badly even if they are low profile. Plus no hardware means cargo doesn't have to get gouged by metal protrusions and a truck tent can be easily put on. None of the covers were heavy as I installed and took off myself. Install or take off, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Plus the covers can be left on and folded up to the front 1/3 panel so that you can have tall objects in the rear 2/3rd of the bed and still have all the cargo area under the front 1/3 panel.

Last edited by Mike Up; 01-02-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one on my 13 F150 for a few years. I loved it. The thing I liked the best was I could completely removed it very easily if I wanted to. This go around I went with a bakflip g2, so no easy complete removal but I'll be ok. 5 starts for the extang solid fold!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Papermaker24

Received 347 Likes on 272 Posts

I have this....works great. Dont get enough water in the bed to bother with. Very rugged, easy to use and install/remove if needed.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:58 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I had one on my F150 for 4 years and looked just like new when I sold the truck. I purchased a new one for my 2019 F250 and love it. At about 18 months the middle panel developed a 6" bubble in the center. I emailed Extang customer service. Two days later I received an email that they were sending an entirely new cover to replace it. Outstanding customer service.

Quick Reply: Extang solid fold 2.0