Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Sync Connect Data Collection

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Disable Sync Connect Data Collection

My 2018 Lariat has Ford Sync Connect and every time I start up I get a message saying the Sync system is collecting data, notify your passengers, and robots are taking over the world. It also says to disable it refer to your owners manual.

Does anyone know what the system is collecting and how to disable it? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
konoplya (05-29-2022)
Old 08-02-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

I just saw that the other day. Stupid dealer pushed me to get the damn Ford app, and turns out it collects all kinds of info too. Got an email 'welcoming' me, and buried in the fine print said the only way to disable data collection was to do a 'master reset' of Sync Connect. No explanation how to do that, but it's somewhere on the settings. As a matter of fact, will look for it right now and do it, even if I have to re-set all memory stations. I deleted that stupid ap, since if you turned it off, you needed to set it up all over again. Aholes.
konoplya (05-29-2022)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

I was forced to do sync connect so I could have remote start on my 500A, so I’m stuck using it... but I am definitely interested in disabling all the collection software. Please advise.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

Its all or nothing from what I know. Master reset SYNC3 so you would have to re-enable the modem (SYNC Connect) to use the system but DON'T enable it.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by jm061
Its all or nothing from what I know. Master reset SYNC3 so you would have to re-enable the modem (SYNC Connect) to use the system but DON'T enable it.
That is not making sense to me brother. You're saying to enable it, but DON'T enable it. Confused. Ha ha. Could you elaborate very specifically, please??? After doing a master reset, I'd have to go to the Wi-Fi page, right? Then what? I remember there was only 1 option: enable it. Maybe I'm missing something. Please advice. But you're saying I could keep using it for the remainder of the free trial without data collection, correct? Thx.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by elptxjc
That is not making sense to me brother. You're saying to enable it, but DON'T enable it. Confused. Ha ha. Could you elaborate very specifically, please??? After doing a master reset, I'd have to go to the Wi-Fi page, right? Then what? I remember there was only 1 option: enable it. Maybe I'm missing something. Please advice. But you're saying I could keep using it for the remainder of the free trial without data collection, correct? Thx.
I believe what he is saying is the you need to do the reset in order to disable the modem. You would have to enable the modem in order to use it again. But don't do that.
ajef7885 (04-01-2023)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 AM
It's my first day

Received 1,680 Likes on 887 Posts

My first immediate thought after reading your question:

But it is a valid question and here is my opinion:
Ford Pass and Sync connect is a failed platform which drove away the few merchants which ever supported it (like Spotify). The end.

My more in depth thoughts on this are because:
Ford was supposedly collecting individual user data to sell to businesses such as inner city parking lot providers, or directing you to preferred partner (paid advertisers) fuelling stations through factory nav. In fact there still are lots of references to Sync 3 and Ford Pass merchant payment policies throughout Ford's legal disclaimers. Of course, Sync 3 App Link is absolutely terrible and Ford pass is pretty close to dead. Merchants looked at it and ran away which is why on new 2017 F150's Ford had marketing materials saying Sync 3 Connect was free for the first 5 years and starting in 2018 all of that marketing language simply disappeared. In fact in 2017 a memo was sent to dealerships (at least in Canada) stating that Sync 3 would no longer be a paid-for service after 5 years because of their failure to on-board merchants and develop a meaningful useful platform. I have no idea what Ford intends to do, but Sync connect as far as I know at this time is just free, not supported much as all and close to dead.

As for the data Ford is collecting, it's mostly telematics data for product performance, and if you're worried about that then I'd hate to break it to you, but Ford collects the exact same data when you visit the dealership for any ordinary service like an oil change. We know from the people who've retrofit Sync Connect in old cars that Ford isn't running any sort of validation process against the VIN but Sync connect will gather and report the correct vehicle info back to Ford all on its own. For example, if you take a used pre activated AT&T Sync connect modem out of a Ford Focus and install it in a 2015 mustang, the Mustang and it's milage will show up in Ford Pass on the server end (which is kind of funny) and Sync connect will just keep working. This has already been done and proven.

Here is Ford's Sync Connect General Privacy policy, but it's sub divided and you have to dig for answers. I highlighted points I found interesting in red and from what I see here is you could disconnect Sync Connect and lose great features like cellular remote start, but as soon as you get an oil change they skim all that data anyway and send it to the same place. Personally, I'd just leave it on. Welcome to Ford.

"Ford Motor Company respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it.
Our vehicles have systems that record data about vehicle performance, how it is driven or used, and where it is located. These data are accessed, stored, used, or shared for a variety of reasons, including onboarding your vehicle to make it function properly, providing requested services, personalizing features, diagnosing and repairing vehicles, researching improvements to products and services, and to offer you products or services that may interest you such as repair services.
In general, data is stored in the vehicle and not accessible to Ford or others without physical access to the vehicle unless you use a connected service, where available and equipped, or you have your vehicle serviced by a Ford dealer. When we retrieve vehicle data, we protect it, and we share it only with service providers who assist us (anybody) in performing the services above and who are similarly obligated to protect data.

Ford will not access vehicle data without obtaining appropriate consent, except in good faith belief ( they can take whatever they want then), as permitted by applicable law, that such action is necessary to: (a) comply with law; (b) respond to an official request by police or other government authorities or third parties acting with lawful authority or court order; (c) to defend the rights or property of Ford in a lawsuit; or (d) to act under exigent circumstances to protect the safety of Ford employees, customers, or the public. Ford refers to Ford Motor Company and Ford affiliates. Other parties may seek to access data independently of Ford.

More specific privacy information and any updates can be found on websites or mobile applications specific to each product or service, including, where applicable, how to activate and deactivate features. Please see the links below. For your convenience, this page provides you with direct links to learn more about the privacy of SYNC®, connected services, mobile apps, and Ford dealer repair services. Please view each link to see what information we collect, and how it is used (Okay!).

FordPass may contain or rely in part on certain free, shared, or public library software (“Open Source Software”). Please refer to the posted Open Source Software acknowledgements located at http://corporate.ford.com/ford-open-source.html for more information on any obligations or restrictions that may apply to the use of Open Source Software.

Additional Services may be subject to additional terms that may be presented in connection with their use, and by using an Additional Service, you agree to the applicable terms and conditions. Some Additional Services may be operated by Ford or its related entities; others are not owned or controlled by us, including but not limited to links to websites for our dealers (“Third Party Service”). We have no control over and, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, assume no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies (Ford can be a third party to themselves and sell you out), or practices of any Third Party Service. In addition, we will not and cannot censor or edit the content of any Third Party Service. By clicking on links, you expressly relieve us from any and all liability arising from your use of any Third Party Services, or from the content of any Third Party Service. When using a Third Party Service, you should be aware of when you leave FordPass and read the terms and conditions and privacy policy of each Third Party Service that you visit.

In order to enable mobile apps on your phone to work with SYNC, SYNC requires user consent to send and receive app authorization information and updates using the data plan associated with the connected phone or device. The connected device sends data to Ford in the United States. The information is encrypted and includes your VIN, SYNC module number, odometer, usage statistics and debugging information. We retain this data for only as long as necessary to provide this service, troubleshoot, and improve products and services and to offer you products and services that may interest you(AKA SELL YOU UNWANTED GARBAGE)

In addition, mobile app providers may request data from the vehicle for apps that you enable. Ford does not control data collected by mobile app providers. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any app that you use on your mobile device.

For SYNC®3, if equipped, the system organizes the app privacy permissions into groups. You can grant these group permissions individually. You can change a permission group status any time when not driving, by using the settings menu. See your vehicle owner guide for more details".

Last edited by Airborne_Ape; 08-03-2018 at 01:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Airborne_Ape:
Reid78 (08-03-2018), Ricktwuhk (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 AM
18 SCrew 2.7 2WD

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, few things are truly free... if you are using a product or service and not required to pay, that just means you and your data are the product.
Taggart (04-01-2023)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 AM

Since I don't plan to ever take my truck to a dealer unless I absolutely have to (recall, etc), will do a master reset now to get rid of FordPass data collection. Will enable the modem again, since I have 2 months left of Wi-Fi, and my wife uses it a lot on her i-Pad on trips. But after the free trial, will do another master reset and leave it disabled. That way, there shouldn't be any more data collection . I also have my location services off most of the time, except when I need to order an Uber, or get directions, etc. Delete all cookies, and turn it back off. I don't have Facebook or any of that crap, and don't browse the internet much, don't allow tracking, and have all security features on, so I make it harder for those aholes to track me. Ha ha.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:45 AM
It's my first day

Received 1,680 Likes on 887 Posts

I still find it odd that you say that and yet have no issue listing your location as El Paso Texas right on your profile on this heavily ad-revenue driven website, but okay.
The following 3 users liked this post by Airborne_Ape:
JJM (02-22-2021), Ricktwuhk (08-03-2018), Taggart (04-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Disable Sync Connect Data Collection