Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DECKED Storage System for the 2015/16 F-150...Jcat's experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Default DECKED Storage System for the 2015/16 F-150...Jcat's experience

Hey guys,

As some of you may know, I was chosen by DECKED (who are very generous by the way) to receive one of their storage system setups to install in my truck and evaluate, and review for them. This thread is going to serve as a few different things, first and foremost it will detail the install of the system and some interesting issues I ran into. Second, it will review the system as a whole and it's functionality, and who should be considering the system. Finally, I'll be coming up with some feedback for DECKED as to the setup, the assembly and the install.

First things first, this thing is BIG. No other way to say it. It ships on a pallet in a box damn near the size of the pickup bed, and weighing in a bit over 250 lbs. DECKED was also kind enough to send along some accessories (dividers and trays for the drawers) for me to try out, which I can definitely see being useful. Parts wise, it's really not THAT complex of a system. What is complex though, is the hardware. That's honestly the most intimidating part of this, opening that hardware box. Thankfully, the guys were kind enough to do an awesome job labelling each bag of hardware as it correlates to the install instructions.

Which brings us to the next step, reading the instructions. You absolutely need the instructions, and you need to pay very specific attention to the diagrams in the instructions. They've done a pretty good job of making sure most things only really go in one way, but there's opportunity to screw some things up. The instructions say you need a second person only for a couple steps, and I'm here to tell you that's not the case. You definitely want a second person to help you lift the larger subassemblies into the truck, but it's also helpful to have a second set of hands if you want to get it installed in any reasonable amount of time. More on that in the last section.

Decked states the tools required are a half inch open end wrench, 3/8" socket, 7/16" allen key, philips screwdriver Torx T30 driver, and and adjustable wrench that opens to about an inch. This is somewhat correct. You also will want a deep well, 7 or 8mm socket (can't remember which I used), a 2" and 4" socket extension, a 3/8" combo wrench, and a hammer. You can probably tell by that tool list, DECKED does not recommend the use of power tools on this kit. I get that, and understand why they want you to do things by hand, but I'm here to tell you a cordless impact with a little common sense would be invaluable to save time and carpal tunnel on the install. You don't want to crank down with the screw gun, it'll wreck the hardware on most of the stuff, but it really would be a help. If you're really nervous about using the power tool, get one of those little mini electric screwdrivers they sell at home depot for $10. Your wrists and forearms will thank you.

I won't go step by step through the instructions since I found them very thorough and there are pictures. Just plan on spending a few hours putting this thing together and figuring out how things fit together, and making a couple mistakes and having to take things apart to fix them. Here are two videos, one from Decked themselves and another from a truck accessory provider, where someone can be seen commenting that it only takes 20 minutes to install:

I will say that 20 minute claim, sorry guys, is BS. I invested 3 hours into the system yesterday, and am still not finished. I'd say I got about 90% of the way there. Had I used an electric impact, I could have probably cut that time in half. About half an hour of that time was needed to remove my existing drop-in bedliner, which DECKED says will interfere with the fit of the system. Truthfully, after getting the bulk of this thing installed, I think I probably could have left the liner in, but it would require some jockeying of the DECKED system to do so. I decided to just go by the book so that my review would be as honest and to the letter as possible, so people will really know what they're getting into. Also note, you DO have to replace your two front factory tie downs with the included brackets from decked, that's what the T30 is for. Not a big deal, I was able to do it by hand but again, an electric impact would help with the gorilla torque the factory puts on those screws. Also, I had to pull my boxlink cleats to remove the bedliner, I highly recommend that if you plan on using them, REINSTALL THEM BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE DECKED SYSTEM!!! I have to try and get them squeezed in now that the system is already in the bed, and it's a very tight fit to do so.

Most of it went together very well, with some persuasion and a little fiddling for certain parts. The stage I left off at was putting the drawers into the truck, and installing the last wheels on the axles. I need to take some time and get it all apart again, because I could not for the life of me understand how I was supposed to be able to install the lower wheels AFTER the drawer was already in place. there just is not enough room to get the wheel in, get the bolt in, and get the tool in to tighten the bolt once the drawer is in place. I'll have to mess around with that some more.

Be prepared, once you get the deck/ammo can assemblies and the vert installed, to jockey around with the positioning of the deck and the J hooks that secure it. It's not the easiest thing to maneuver, but you'll definitely want to leave those J hooks loose until you get it where you want it.

The only things I have left are to attach the angle iron tracks to the second drawer, figure out what to do with the lower wheels, install the handles, install the bottle opener on the end and trim plate/ruler/etc on the top, and mess around with divider/tray placement to see if I can come up with something that fits my needs.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, my next post in this thread will be an overview/review of the system itself, and what kind of user I see it as being aimed at, and some of the pros/cons as they relate specifically to our trucks.

Last edited by jcat; 02-12-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Now for the next section, an overview of the system, a review of it specific to our trucks, and who I think the intended market is.

First, a little background about me. I'm a homeowner, but I'm a desk jockey for a living. I don't work my truck like a lot of you guys do, so understand the perspective that this review comes from. My truck is more often than not used for pulling a bush out of a bed or home depot runs, largely not requiring the bed space. However, on occasion the bed space is a necessity, for various large/unwieldy items that need transporting. My main reason for owning a truck is being able to haul things like that at a moment's notice as many of my house projects end up being, and also have a vehicle that has a spacious enough interior for my family and the dog, and is 4x4 so I can get wherever I need to go whenever I need to get there.

And I think that's kind of who this product is aimed at. If I was to go to home depot and pick up a few things that maybe I'd rather not keep in the cab, or maybe I'm taking my gas cans down to fill up, it'd be a pretty big time waste of space to use an entire 6'6" by 5'6"-6' bed for such a thing. Add to that, I have no way to secure things like straps/bungees/tools in the bed, so they have to go under the seat. This truck does not have the kind of underseat storage that is conducive to such a thing. You could install a toolbox, but that requires a special tonneau cover or a swing case, which blocks your bed lights which are a feature I really like. Then comes the issue of securing things. You could cut a couple pieces of lumber and fashion something up, or use bungee cords like I normally would, and secure things against the tailgate to keep them from moving but keep them easy to access as well.

If you're a contractor who's constantly hauling lumber, or someone hauling appliances or big stuff like that, this system really isn't for you. The deck comes up about 1/2" below the factory LED Bed lights, eating up about half of your vertical volume in the bed, raising the floor about 12-15". The deck will support 2000lbs and 200lb in each drawer, so you'll be hard pressed to exceed it's capacity without exceeding your truck's capacity (bear in mind the system itself weighs 250, so subtract that from your towing and payload).

So, in summary: if you seriously work your truck for hauling large items, this may not be for you. If you're like me, a person who probably could have gotten away with an SUV but you wanted the truck for the added utility of carrying things you wouldn't otherwise want inside the vehicle, but don't need the full volume of the bed 100% of the time, it's a good option. That seems like a narrow market, but with the advent of the high trim trucks and how popular crew cabs have become over the large SUVs, I think decked is onto something here.

So, specific to our trucks, I'll do a kind of pros/cons thing.

Pros:

-Does not block the boxlink plates/cleats

-Does not block the factory LED Bed lights

-Does not block the factory bed light switch

-Doesn't add back a ton of the weight that the aluminum body reduced

-Fits with just about any tonneau cover and leaves usable space between deck and cover for long items

-with optional accessories, provides a significant number of additional tie-down points

-has a bottle opener, every ammo can lid has 2 cup holders in it, optional drain holes in drawers so you can use them as coolers when tailgating

-provides a great dance floor for the hot chicks in your country music video

Now for the cons:

-Does eat up at least 50% of the vertical volume of your bed, so hauling taller items may be more difficult if not impossible (clearance/wind damage reasons). Think things like refrigerators, trees/bushes, etc.

-Not easily removable by any stretch of the imagination if you do need to haul something like the above

-It's expensive. Granted, I got mine for free and greatly appreciate it, but if I had to pay for it myself, I'd probably settle for my $200 drop-in liner and $200 roll up tonneau as opposed to the $1200 this system retails for:

http://www.realtruck.com/decked-truc...015Y212MA.html

-The main stuff truck guys want (tie down points) are sold as optional accessories and are pretty freakin' pricey considering the price of the system with none of the options. If you want to (no pun intended) really deck this thing out and add the trays, the dividers, drain plugs and locks for the drawers, and a pair of CORE trax strips, you're looking at shelling out an additional $210. T Tracks instead of core trax reduces that cost $20. In the grand scheme of a $1200 storage system, is $200 really a big deal? Honestly, probably not. But it still stings a little.

**truthfully, with the fact that most trucks have locking tailgates now, the drawer locks are a little redundant. But still a good thing to have if you have a reason to leave your truck unlocked, leave your tailgate open, or have your tailgate removed for one reason or another.

Overall, if you're a guy like me who wanted a truck but needed some SUV-like capabilities, practically pays the light bill at your local Home Depot/Lowe's, occasionally has a need to haul larger items but would like a way to keep certain things in the bed all the time and organized/secure, this is a pretty cool system. It's also still in the early stages, so there's a lot of potential here. The guys at DECKED definitely seem to have a wide open mind toward innovation, and I think we'll see some really cool stuff coming from them sooner than later.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 AM

So, the final part which is some feedback for Decked. I know it may seem like this review overall has sort of a negative tone to it, so I want to clarify in the hopes of balancing it out some because I really do like the product.

First piece of feedback is in regards to the way the kit is shipped. You're sending a huge box on a pallet as it is, with the entire system completely blown apart down to every last nut and bolt (literally). To me, it seemed like things such as the angle iron and corner brackets on the drawers, and maybe even the ammo cans on the C-channel could be made into pre-assembled subassemblies that would really save a lot of time with regards to the install. Things like the ammo can axles could be preinstalled since I don't see there being much of an issue with bending in transit. I don't think it would add a ton of bulk/volume to the box and given that it's really just a matter of some screws or nuts and bolts to put it together, it shouldn't add too terribly much to the production/shipping times.

Second piece of feedback has to do with some of the accessories involved. With the cost of a product like this, having to pay additional money for the accessories (which are really great accessories by the way!) stings a little. Especially when there are core trax kits out there that come with more equipment for less money. Obviously users can customize this thing to fit their needs, but I think a slight increase in initial cost with the inclusion of some of the smaller stuff (the drain plugs and dividers for example) might be welcome as opposed to having to purchase everything separately. The drawers really are kind of useless without the dividers, as it defeats the purpose of the modular storage system concept if your smaller items are just going to roll all the way to the back of the drawer anyway as if they weren't there.

Aside from those two things, I'm really happy with the system and can't wait to get it finished up so I can start putting it to use. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with some creative tests of it's functionality, and come up with some uses that I didn't think of to begin with.

In my state, there's only one shop right now that sells the Decked system, and I think it's something that really could catch on. I've got some ideas that I'll be passing on to Decked for some accessories that they don't currently offer, and I'm sure that I'll be able to think up some more as I continue to use the system.

All in all, I'm extremely grateful to have been chosen to test this thing out, and think that it's quite accidentally exactly what I was looking for in a storage solution for my truck. It's like a bedliner had a three-way with a couple toolboxes and the result is a really useful, badass setup that really challenges the traditional wisdom of how the pickup bed is perceived and used. If you can get past what's a moderately finicky install and can live with a little less vertical volume in the bed, this is a really cool system to have.

I'll be updating this thread as time goes on, once I'm able to finish the install and put this thing to use. It's going to be absolutely freezing up here these next few days so I don't know when that will be, but expect to see regular updates.

Last edited by jcat; 02-12-2016 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcat:
Lockelamora (02-16-2016), RogDog (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

Nice write up. We have sold a few of these systems and heard back very similar pros and cons.

The following users liked this post:
ChuckH262 (11-22-2019)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM

Quick update:

Everything is done now minus one wheel, the bottle opener, and the top trim piece.

The drawer braces go in with two self tapping screws, as do the top trim piece and the bottle opener, which are made hundreds of times easier by common-sense usage of an electric impact.

Sadly, it's been below zero here for the last 3-4 days, so no pics have been taken. It's supposed to warm up these next few days though so hopefully I can open up the cover and shoot some pics for you guys.

The first disadvantage I've discovered with this setup is transporting larger items. I picked up a shelving unit and 3 storage bins from Home Depot the other day and sadly, they did not fit under the tonneau cover. Normal condtions: I would have rolled up the cover and thrown them on top of the deck and tied them down with some bungee cords. However, it was 5 degrees before the wind chill and I wasn't about to do that.

Harbor freight sells a 36" x 60" pickup cargo net and a 48" x 72" trailer cargo net. I'm thinking the 36x60 should be right around the right size to stretch taught across the boxlink cleats and be useful for holding down items that are just too tall to fit under the cover but not large enough to need to be strapped down on their own.

I've bought some heavy stuff to load up the drawers with and see how they work once I get the last wheel installed. I'm also potentially going to pick up a new washer/dryer set so that'll be interesting to maybe throw them up on top of the deck and strap them down to demonstrate its load carrying capabilities. I'm sure I'll get some other ideas soon.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Truck Bed Storage Systems

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Jcat
Thank you for the deep dive on DECKED! Definitely some good info here and the feedback from your experience with our product is very helpful. A couple of things:

1. The install video that one would want to watch is here:

2. Assembly and installation takes 2 hours plus or minus. We never would say 20 mins! Folks commonly mistake the time it takes to remove or reinstall (15-20 mins) with the assembly time

3. We tell people not to use powertools, because, well as you noted, we have to take into consideration the lowest common denominator. IF one is CAREFUL and sets the clutch on their screw gun/impact drill it can be done. But know your tools. And leave it so that the clutch stops from completely tight so you can do it by hand.

4. Installing tailgate end wheels: this can be made easier by sliding a piece of 2" material (like a 2x4 under the drawer. The ammo can lids work in a pinch as well). Basically you just need to press them up so you can easily thread the wheel axles in)

5. For cargo that needs tying down check out the Core Trax 1000 cargo tie downs. We don't include accessories because it would raise the price of the product and not everyone wants them! We pay strict attention to our pricing to make it is affordable as possible. Our proposition is on value not inflating price.

In the end you are where everyone is with their pick up - It's a compromise. DECKED offers ergonomics and eliminates much of the climbing in and out of your truck to get items you need. It also solves the problem of trying to reach into the crossover-type toolbox to get tools and other needed items. We don't preach that our product is for everyone. But for guys who want their trucks organized and dialed to be prepared for work or recreation it has proven to be a very popular product.

Thanks for the input and let's see some photos when you have it the way you like it!
The following 2 users liked this post by DECKED:
ChuckH262 (11-22-2019), Jason_Larsen (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

Received 634 Likes on 313 Posts

I have installed a decked storage drawers in my truck ... I'm happy with the system and in one drawer I keep the bed extender gates ( they fit perfect ) and can be taken out and attached in minutes . Now I also bought a pickup pack from Highway Products the boxes are just deep enough to allow the system to rest on the bed rails ( as they should ) . I also installed a cargo slide and with the dome cover there is about 15 inches of space between the slide and cover when closed ( a 5gal bucket fits nicely there )
Since I make my living as a drywall finisher and painter I have found this set up works for me
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Jcat I thought you were a volunteer firefighter and were going to fill this with firefighting gear?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DECKED
Jcat
Thank you for the deep dive on DECKED! Definitely some good info here and the feedback from your experience with our product is very helpful. A couple of things:

1. The install video that one would want to watch is here: https://youtu.be/DDaRySld9g8

2. Assembly and installation takes 2 hours plus or minus. We never would say 20 mins! Folks commonly mistake the time it takes to remove or reinstall (15-20 mins) with the assembly time

3. We tell people not to use powertools, because, well as you noted, we have to take into consideration the lowest common denominator. IF one is CAREFUL and sets the clutch on their screw gun/impact drill it can be done. But know your tools. And leave it so that the clutch stops from completely tight so you can do it by hand.

4. Installing tailgate end wheels: this can be made easier by sliding a piece of 2" material (like a 2x4 under the drawer. The ammo can lids work in a pinch as well). Basically you just need to press them up so you can easily thread the wheel axles in)

5. For cargo that needs tying down check out the Core Trax 1000 cargo tie downs. We don't include accessories because it would raise the price of the product and not everyone wants them! We pay strict attention to our pricing to make it is affordable as possible. Our proposition is on value not inflating price.

In the end you are where everyone is with their pick up - It's a compromise. DECKED offers ergonomics and eliminates much of the climbing in and out of your truck to get items you need. It also solves the problem of trying to reach into the crossover-type toolbox to get tools and other needed items. We don't preach that our product is for everyone. But for guys who want their trucks organized and dialed to be prepared for work or recreation it has proven to be a very popular product.

Thanks for the input and let's see some photos when you have it the way you like it!
Makes sense, and believe me I wasn't necessarily questioning it, just seeing it through my eyes. That 20min was a comment on one of the youtube videos, I forget which. But as I said in the posts above, I hope it doesn't come across too negatively because I really do love this system, and it solves a LOT of problems that I have come across with my truck.

I did try using the ammo can as well as using the handle and head of a rubber mallet, but wasn't able to get the drawer to lift enough to get the last wheel on. I plan on loosening the J hook at the passenger rear corner to allow the whole system to come up off the bed floor, which seemed to work pretty well on the driver's side. I must have had the passenger side tighter or something. Once you lift the drawer enough to get the whole side of the system moving, the ammo can is able to be flexed out toward the bedside some allowing the clearance to thread the bolt through the wheel and into the axle insert.

That install video is much more accurate than the original one I posted, but it doesn't reflect the weld nuts that I got in my kit. For those, I found it easiest to squeeze them in part way with my hands, then tap them the rest of the way with either a hammer or the end of the adjustable wrench, just to get them in far enough to get a good bite and get good thread engagement on the screws.

By the way, have you guys considered coming up with a mini-system for the back of something like an expedition/excursion/yukon/tahoe/suburban? Just a thought.

I plan on getting some pics either tomorrow or this weekend, weather permitting.

Originally Posted by snappypics
Jcat I thought you were a volunteer firefighter and were going to fill this with firefighting gear?
Yep! That's in the plans. Like I said, the weather has just been too coold/****ty to do anything fun around here lately. We've got some old rolled up out-of-service hose that gets pretty heavy, not to mention plenty of other heavy items (our guys included...full gear puts me over 310lb!) that we can definitely test this thing's capabilities.

The way my department runs, we don't go direct to calls in our personal vehicles, and we don't take our turnout gear with us, so I always respond straight to the station to catch a truck going out. Otherwise, it wouldn't take a whole lot for me to be able to pack these drawers full.

Originally Posted by leckbandg
I have installed a decked storage drawers in my truck ... I'm happy with the system and in one drawer I keep the bed extender gates ( they fit perfect ) and can be taken out and attached in minutes . Now I also bought a pickup pack from Highway Products the boxes are just deep enough to allow the system to rest on the bed rails ( as they should ) . I also installed a cargo slide and with the dome cover there is about 15 inches of space between the slide and cover when closed ( a 5gal bucket fits nicely there )
Since I make my living as a drywall finisher and painter I have found this set up works for me
See, that right there is a perfect example of someone who really would *need* this setup in their truck, a painter. Lots of smallish items, stuff you don't want in the cab getting everything dirty but you also don't want them rolling around everywhere in the bed. I also was thinking about those that use pickup caps/toppers, and that's another great use case. With that added vertical volume of a cap, you'd be all set.

Last edited by jcat; 02-16-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Truck Bed Storage Systems

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by leckbandg
Hey Leckbandg,
This sounds like a very interesting set up. We'd love to see some photos if you could. Especially the bed extender gates.
The Deezee 8170 saddle box also works as a toolbox that rides on bedrails and accommodates the DECKED system.
Thanks for chiming in!
-DECKED

Quick Reply: DECKED Storage System for the 2015/16 F-150...Jcat's experience