Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default CVT?

I just read an article talking about Ford possibly dropping a 10 speed automatic transmission in the 2015. While that might be a stretch, with Dodge doing an 8 speed it seems likely that Ford will match or exceed at some point.

My question is, why not go to a CVT? From what I understand, they are simpler and more durable and would get much better gas mileage than a traditional 5 speed transmission. I imagine a 10 speed transmission is approaching CVT mileage, but why not just go with a CVT and be done with it?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Dog Trainer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about CVT's, they may be more durable, but would they be able to tow as much?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Superman750
I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about CVT's, they may be more durable, but would they be able to tow as much?
Well, assuming they can, and they get better mileage, would truck owners be willing to accept the "weirdness" of a CVT and no shifting (I know they can simulate automatic shifts). Judging by the uptake of a twin turbo gas engine, I would say yes.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have strong reservations about a CVT being able to sustain a truck application. My experience with them in cars hasn't been good, wouldn't own another one. Can only imagine what reliability issues would crop up in a truck application.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Daycruiser
I have strong reservations about a CVT being able to sustain a truck application. My experience with them in cars hasn't been good, wouldn't own another one. Can only imagine what reliability issues would crop up in a truck application.

+1

CTV is only good for "throw away" vehicles. If you're getting rid of it in 3 years, go ahead and get one. Rebuilding/replacing a CVT is ridiculously expensive. I will not own another one, I keep my stuff more than 5 years on average.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Ya we test drove the Subaru with the cvt. Not ready for prime time.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes SUV has a CVT in it. It has been dead reliable without any issues, but damn it drives weird. The problem with placing a CVT transmission in a truck is the towing reliability. CVT transmissions (for the most part) employ a belt system internally which limits the torque loads they can handle. Nissan has begun employing a chain CVT in the Pathfinder (what my wife drives) which has increased its ability to handle that torque and tow a good amount. As far as the cost- as long as you don't have to replace one, currently they cannot be rebuilt, the cost of ownership is similar to a geared transmission. Besides, I bet if you had to have any of the newer tranny's repaired it is comparable to replacing a CVT.

Before I got the F150 we towed my Mustang to track events all over the southwest last summer with the Pathfinder and it handled the towing fine. So, I would say they are making strides with the CVT tranny but I still don't believe it is ready for the truck market.

Besides, it drives super weird. Punch the gas and it just holds an RPM, doesn't really go up or down, just holds it. Takes a little getting used to. The upside to this weirdness is that the fuel economy has been excellent.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

I've always been wary about CVT transmissions. Nissan has been doing it for a while, and seemed to have improved it. The early years were not that great. Neighbor has one, and it went out on him. Didn't even have 100k on it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

CVT works great on my ATV!

:-)
The following users liked this post:
Snowfan (12-26-2020)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daycruiser
Can you elaborate what has not been good about them?

Quick Reply: CVT?