Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Configuration question

Currently I have a Platinum Supercrew, which I absolutely love. However, I’ve got 4 kids. I failed to realize how often we’d all want to go somewhere in the truck but not be able to due to it being a 5 passenger. This has me toying around with buying a Lariat with the bench seat, however it seems like I can’t equip it very nicely while still keeping the bench seat.

I want Adaptive Cruise, I want 360° cameras, etc...but I want the bench. Is this possible? If not, I may investigate swapping the center console for a column mounted shifter and middle seat insert. Does anyone know if that would even be possible?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

Trade for an Expedition or the new Explorer Sport with the 3.5TT ?!?!?!
Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it possible, I would think yes. There has been a few guys here who have switched from the bench to the console so in theory I would think it would be possible to switch back. Would it be recommended, probably not. You are going to have to tear a fair amount of things out and buy a number of parts unless you happen to find someone who is willing to be a donor or switch with you. Not to mention you will have to figure out how to make the cloth bench seat match the leather interior you currently have.

I hate to say it, but you probably just need to suffer a bit and buy an expedition eventually. I would think you could get similar power/capacity, but you won't have the bed of the truck.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

With some of the tech you want, there are switches mounted on the console. Those features are not offered on truck without the console, so there is no alternative mounting location. You will be cutting the dash and modifying wiring. There may also be carpet missing under the current console. So, while a conversion may be possible, it is going to be challenging.

Practicality??? To begin with, it is illegal. The vehicle has a max number of passengers/occupants listed on the VIN tag in the door jamb. This is based on the number of seatbelts the truck was built with. this really only matters to an insurance company.
Why I mention this is because of that front center seat. I have had it on my last two trucks. In 8 years, I have used it 6-10 times. A comment made by a salesman sticks in my head. “There is little safety for the middle passenger. No airbag means they will be eating the radio buttons if you get in an accident.”
That was based on my 2010 with only a lap belt for the middle seat. The 2015+ has a 3pt seatbelt. Still not great. And, the damn thing has jammed in the down/armrest position numerous times because of the shoulder strap locking up. I couldn’t use the seat if I wanted to.

All that said, I would get a different vehicle. One designed a bit better for this.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

time to get an expedition and a utility trailer for when you need to do "truck stuff".
Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. All good points. I’m not interested in an Expedition or large SUV for ME (my wife has a vehicle that fits us all) and anything I’d replace the truck with that wasn’t a truck would be a 4 or 5 passenger anyways so I’ll just keep the truck and deal (I think).

That said, I’m pretty sure a co-worker has a nicely equipped Lariat with a center seat up front. I will check his out on Monday...
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I feel your pain. I was in same boat a year ago. Ended up with 501a pkg, only regret is adaptive cruise and front camera.

Quick Reply: Configuration question