Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check YOUR Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check YOUR Truck

An issue has come up regarding a rattle noise on BOTH Ecoboost and 5.0 trucks.... more information on the following thread, but essentially people are reporting a rattling noise upon letting off the gas, especially on cold engines, with no known solution from Ford at this time. Not trying to double up on an existing post, but as the following post is titled, 5.0 owners may skip... plus many people, including myself, may miss the noise if they do not intently listen for it with radio off, windows down, etc. Turns out my 2018 5.0 is making the noise, with less than 4k miles. I'm scheduled to take it in next week, but not confident that it'll be a good outcome based on what I've read here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/17-3-...rattle-401441/

Check YOUR truck!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reported this issue to ford in March of this year. Dealership flashed the truck and said the noise went away. I drove the truck 2 feet and went back inside and pointed out the noise was still there to the service manager and mechanic. They had the truck for 16 days and replaced, timing chains VCTs, cam phasers and more. Truck is still making the noise (less frequently when warm) and ford is now stating this is normal operation and will not be offering any further warranty work. I wanted to get into a 5.0 but it appears they are having the same issue.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

My 18 5.0 does the same. Only when cold letting off the go pedal. Even the very very slightest push of the pedal, upon let off, I get the noise but only when cold. Not sure I'm too worried about it though. - for now.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Give me a new truck with this noise and full use to take the truck apart and I'll figure out what it is...guaranteed!
Dig deep enough and you'll always find the prize!

So why can't Ford do this? they can and I suspect they have.

It used to take 5+ years to engineer and test and prepare a new vehicle for market.
Nowadays its out the door onto the lots within 6months it seems and the consumers pay the price.

Good thing Ford has all these millions of "Loyal Followers"
I keep reading these threads and it reinforces why I'm keeping my current truck and why I need to put a lot of thought into what I buy next.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dannofx4
It used to take 5+ years to engineer and test and prepare a new vehicle for market.
Nowadays its out the door onto the lots within 6months it seems and the consumers pay the price.
This isn't true. Ford does years of testing on things prior to releasing them. There was a post many years ago in the superduty forum about a prototype late model truck (2011 era) with non-standards parts. It was spotted at a test track. They were testing new axles.

I also a couple saw VERY prototyped F650s doing road testing before the current body style was released. That was a good year or two prior to the release. They looked like the previous generation F650 but with a big square box on the front replacing the hood, to make room for the new engines they were trying in the chassis. This was when they were testing the 6.7L for medium duty chassis.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 755 Likes on 515 Posts

I haven't noticed any noise like that on my 2017 3.5L Eco Boost!!
Old 05-05-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dannofx4
Give me a new truck with this noise and full use to take the truck apart and I'll figure out what it is...guaranteed!
Dig deep enough and you'll always find the prize!

So why can't Ford do this? they can and I suspect they have.

Good thing Ford has all these millions of "Loyal Followers"
I keep reading these threads and it reinforces why I'm keeping my current truck and why I need to put a lot of thought into what I buy next.

Loyalty runs only so deep, I can tell you based on having an issue with Ford for years now, unless we complain enough to be heard or Ford flukes out why it is happening they will deny it is an issue. They have horrible customer service and technical support. Many would argue but wait until you have an issue they have not seen. You will then see that they do little to nothing to help until enough people raise a complaint for them to look at. They have a tier of blame, 1. the dealer is responsible to fix, if not call customer service, 2. Customer service blames the dealer for not fixing, 3. Dealer directs you back to Ford customer service. Great scheme to have you running the bases and and going no where but a vicious circle.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
This isn't true. Ford does years of testing on things prior to releasing them. There was a post many years ago in the superduty forum about a prototype late model truck (2011 era) with non-standards parts. It was spotted at a test track. They were testing new axles.

I also a couple saw VERY prototyped F650s doing road testing before the current body style was released. That was a good year or two prior to the release. They looked like the previous generation F650 but with a big square box on the front replacing the hood, to make room for the new engines they were trying in the chassis. This was when they were testing the 6.7L for medium duty chassis.
The "years of testing" should have then corrected the continuous problems with:

Rear window defroster and glass exploding
3.5 ecoboost start up rattle
Sunroof problems
Cooled seats and AC issues
IWEs and the 4x4 system
The infamous misfire and limp mode

These are just a few of the many reoccurring issues on these trucks.

My 5 year old truck now sounds like its 30 years old with the squeaky rear leaf springs, I mean really?
Ford has been building trucks for how long and they still haven't mastered a leaf spring suspension?
And there are many others with the same issue.

So going back to my original statement...its about engineering and passing off the problems to the consumer.
To put it another way...Its about money!
Building the most expensive selling truck for the cheapest amount of cost.

Give it a warranty - forecast anticipated repair costs - balance with profit - Ford gets rich - consumer stuck paying thousands to fix problems that occur which are prevalent on many many trucks.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

There isn't a car or truck manufacturer in the World that doesn't have issues at some point.

IMO they are all in the same boat. Nobody stands out above the rest. You can easily substitute any brand name in place of Ford in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
There isn't a car or truck manufacturer in the World that doesn't have issues at some point.

IMO they are all in the same boat. Nobody stands out above the rest. You can easily substitute any brand name in place of Ford in this thread.
I gotta say that I COMPLETELY disagree.
I'm not a 20 year old millenial...I'm well into my 50s and have owned a number of vehicles.

The late 80s and early 90s were by far the worst period to buy a north american made vehicle...they were all junk!

In 2006 I bought a new Nissan SUV and i was amazed at how little time I spent at the dealership getting warranty work done.
So I bought another one in 2009 - same thing - same model and again there were no motor engine or transmission problems...even with it being a CVT transmission. Virtually no problems at all...all I did was change the oil.

Then I needed a truck...bought a new F150 and I have to say it is still by far the best north american made vehicle I have owned...BUT...I still believe Ford could and should do a better job at addressing the problems which occur with their vehicles.

The problems the owners were complaining of on 2011 are still there in 2104 and 2016 and 2017 ...

Quick Reply: Check YOUR Truck