Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your hoses.... FORD missed mine!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Check your hoses.... FORD missed mine!

Well, yesterday was a fun surprise. While driving my 16, SCREW 5.0 up through the mountains, I hit a pot hole and about 10 seconds later had a high temp alarm, 252 degrees. Initially I thought it was a jarred sensor wire from the pot hole, but decided to pull over and check anyhow. It only took about 5 seconds to see what went wrong..... This truck has 8800 miles on it, and I'm surprised these 2 hoses lasted this long. There is a heat exchanger of some sort down low, with the hoses coming from the heater core, and one of them popped off!!!

IF you look at the clamp, you can see that the factory NEVER RELEASED the lock feature when they were installed!!! On the hose which stayed on, you can see a gap between the hose and the clamp. It baffles me that they both work this long!

Luckily I carry basic tools with me to make the repair. The bad part was that we were about 3 miles from cell phone coverage. Thankfully there was a nice motorist who happened to drive by a few minutes later and brought me to make a phone call.

After properly installing the clamps and adding a little over 2 gallons of coolant, we were back on our way. I would recommend you take a few minutes today and inspect all of your clamps..... I'm probably not the only one!

Makes me want to send a bill to FORD to pay for the coolant.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

That is the transmission fluid warmer.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:03 PM

thanks, I wasn't sure what it was. Mine must have been put together on a Friday afternoon!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

mine's scheduled to be build on a saturday and will check it before i leave the lot on delivery day
Old 08-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
That is the transmission fluid warmer.
Tranny fluid warmer or cooler?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by <-KJP->
Warmer. There's also an air-to-oil trans. oil cooler in the radiator. The warmer is only included if you get the 5.0L engine. The cooler might only come on trucks with the tow package.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

A warmer. Only the 5.0 has this for now but I think they all get it for 2018. There are bypass valves in the warmer that controls where the transmission fluid goes. When the tranny fluid is cold it flows through the warmer then back to the transmission bypassing the cooler. When temperature gets high enough the computer redirects transmission fluid to the cooler bypassing the warmer. On the 5.0 no transmission fluid goes through the radiator for cooling.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by fsae150
Warmer. There's also an air-to-oil trans. oil cooler in the radiator. The warmer is only included if you get the 5.0L engine. The cooler might only come on trucks with the tow package.
Originally Posted by RL1990
A warmer. Only the 5.0 has this for now but I think they all get it for 2018. There are bypass valves in the warmer that controls where the transmission fluid goes. When the tranny fluid is cold it flows through the warmer then back to the transmission bypassing the cooler. When temperature gets high enough the computer redirects transmission fluid to the cooler bypassing the warmer. On the 5.0 no transmission fluid goes through the radiator for cooling.
5.0L 32V Ti-VCT Engine

The transmission fluid cooling system for 5.0L 32V Ti-VCT engine consists of a transmission fluid warmer with an integral bypass valve, either a radiator in-tank transmission fluid cooler or, if equipped, an external auxiliary transmission fluid cooler. Transmission fluid cooler tubes and hoses connect the various components together.

The transmission fluid warmer has engine coolant flowing through it to warm the transmission fluid during the engine warm-up period. A coolant control valve attached to the coolant return hose allows coolant flow through the warmer when the transmission fluid is cold. At a predetermined temperature, the PCM signals the valve to close, shutting off coolant flow to the warmer. The transmission fluid bypass valve on the warmer directs transmission fluid either back to the transmission or to the cooler depending on transmission fluid temperature.

Transmission fluid travels from the transmission to the transmission fluid warmer, then to either the in-tank transmission fluid cooler, or to the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, if equipped, and back to the transmission. The transmission fluid coolers transfer heat to the engine coolant or, if equipped with an auxiliary cooler, to the ambient air.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

I have same truck/motor.

Where was yours assembled?

Mine was Detroit.

Clearly an assembly line screwup and failure to correct on inspection.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
I have same truck/motor.

Where was yours assembled?

Mine was Detroit.

Clearly an assembly line screwup and failure to correct on inspection.
mine was Kansas City. Luckily this was an easy fix, with no other damage done.