Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian F150's Flooding the Used Car Market

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Canadian F150's Flooding the Used Car Market

So I just began looking for a "new to me" truck. Looking at something around a 16-17 Crew Cab LB with the 5.0.

I have been using AutoTrader and CarGurus for most of my searching and came across something interesting. About 75% of the used trucks that come up were originally from Canada. I am located in northern Wisconsin and using a 200 mile search radius. The trucks are found at both large and small Ford dealers, as well as smaller used car dealers as well.

I am curious as to why there is such a flood of Canadian trucks into the used car market?

Also, I have read plenty of "horror stories" online about people buying Canadian trucks. Most issues seem to be problems with the gauges with changing them to MPH, Sirius radio doesn't work, and navigation doesn't work. Is there anything else to be aware of with Canadian trucks? Is it best to just stay away from them?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,239 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by wilks44
So I just began looking for a "new to me" truck. Looking at something around a 16-17 Crew Cab LB with the 5.0.

I have been using AutoTrader and CarGurus for most of my searching and came across something interesting. About 75% of the used trucks that come up were originally from Canada. I am located in northern Wisconsin and using a 200 mile search radius. The trucks are found at both large and small Ford dealers, as well as smaller used car dealers as well.

I am curious as to why there is such a flood of Canadian trucks into the used car market?

Also, I have read plenty of "horror stories" online about people buying Canadian trucks. Most issues seem to be problems with the gauges with changing them to MPH, Sirius radio doesn't work, and navigation doesn't work. Is there anything else to be aware of with Canadian trucks? Is it best to just stay away from them?
It has to do with the exchange rate with our dollar to the Canadian dollar. Occasionally you can find a good one. IMO i would stay away
The following users liked this post:
SCrewYou (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts

Something is up here...........
All these Canadian trucks have been built in either Michigan or Kansas, and then most of them turn out to be lemons because they ship them across the border to Canada?
Mine came from Kansas City. Seems to be running fine now, but maybe I better take it in to the dealer and have it checked out. I'll give them a copy of this thread so they know what to check for.
The following 2 users liked this post by ngoti8tor:
EcoBooster71 (06-29-2021), kenv47 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

if you're looking for a screw with the 6.5 foot box, most of them will be Canadian as it seems that combo is much more popular with our neighbors to the north.

its not just F150s either, the used market is being flooded with Canadian trucks of all brands because of the exchange rate between the USD and Canadian dollar.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a prior Canadian 2014 F150 that I have had for 3 years now...other than the usual IWE problem, I have never had a problem with my F150. The stealership has never had an issue either with performing service.

AK4wheeler
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Well considering they are built at the same plants as the US trucks not sure what the issue would be. Depending on where it came from it 'may' have been exposed to more winter/salt conditions but that is about it.

......granted if it is oxford white with chrome good chance it was a construction or oilfield fleet truck, so may have been abused a bit more than a privately owned.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I see trucks of them coming across the border all the time. Used to be able to tell all the canadian vehicles apart because they all had DRL, now most do.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

There is still a shortage of used vehicles in the US due to the crap for cash program during the Obama administration. It's not just the favorable exchange rate, it's also the high demand for used vehicles that brings so many canuckmobiles to the US.

Yes, the CA trucks are produced on the same lines in the US as the US trucks. Other than the fact that you tend to see more 36gal tanks, block heaters, and whatnot on the CA trucks, the only difference is changing two lines of code via FORScan to put the control systems into US mode.

And you don't even have to change the code, the two country settings are in the plain English sections of FORScan. Change the codes, you've got a US truck that saw a little extra salt for a few years.

Mine spent three years in CA. Looked like the typical Midwest US vehicle underneath. Frame is rust free except a smidge by some of the UCP bolts.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

When I traded my last 2 trucks the dealer said most of the trade ins go to the states because of the weak Canadian dollar.

After exchange rate, they are selling the used vehicle in $USD for not much less than brand new in $CAD
Old 01-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just bought my used 2017 XLT Sport earlier this month that had a stint in Canada, love it. Didn't realize I was buying a Canadian winter when I got it though.

Edit: I think a lot of the "don't buy from Canada" stuff is propaganda honestly. You have the same risks inherent with any used car purchase.

Quick Reply: Canadian F150's Flooding the Used Car Market