Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the auto climate control function to me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Can someone explain the auto climate control function to me?

I'm confused on how the a/c button works in auto climate control mode. I set the temperature to a value where a/c is definitely required, yet a/c doesn't turn on. Conversely, when I enable a/c, it doesn't ever seem to turn off when the temperature is increased to a point where it is not needed.

Is a/c not controlled by auto temperature?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Once you push anything other than the big round "auto" button you are in manual and changing the temperature will not activate the A/C compressor.

So many people drive me nuts with climate control. Car salesman seem to be the worst.

I've had climate control since 1993. The best way to use it is to have it in auto and then adjust only the temperature. If you have a fussy passenger, then adjust left and right separately. Otherwise, leave it in auto with the orange light lit on the big **** on the left.

A/C will cycle if it needs to and not if it doesn't.

Only caveat...if you have to use defrost and put it in that mode, the A/C light will be lit regardless of if it's hot or cold air. It runs the compressor to pull moisture out of the air for defrost.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 AM

In other words, A/C is controlled by auto mode as long as you don't touch the A/C button.

Whether the A/C button is lit or not does not determine whether it's actually using the compressor, but it usually is even if just to pull humidity out of the air.

If you push the A/C button (which then forces it off), it will not reactivate because you have taken away that option from the auto setting.

My Dad doesn't like air blowing fast (I think he's crazy) so he keeps his in auto, but forces the fan speed to a medium setting. That is doing the same thing as pushing the A/C button. It takes away the ability for the auto setting to control fan speed. Even if his car needs high or low fan, it will only be on medium.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

When in auto the system will always run the A/C in order to control humidity. Even in winter it will cycle the compressor occasionally. This not only helps with humidity but also keeps the system lubricated by circulating oil through the system. Even on manual systems you should run the A/C occasionally in winter to circulate oil through the system. Actually it's best to leave the A/C engaged year round.

Just because the A/C button is not lit doesn't mean it's not using A/C. In most systems when it's in auto mode only the Auto indicator will be lit.

The system works best if you set a temperature and leave it alone. If it's 90 degrees outside and you have it set to 70 it will cool the cabin as quickly as it can. Turning it down to the lowest setting will not cool the truck any faster. This is the biggest mistake people make, they think turning the temperature down when the truck has been sitting in the sun will make it colder. It won't. Even if it's set to 70 the interior temperature sensor will tell the computer it's 120 degrees inside the truck and the system will automatically run the A/C as cold as possible.
The following users liked this post:
sholxgt (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the tips, I'll test it out on the next drive.

What is the difference between
Auto mode on, a/c light on
And
Auto mode on, a/c light off
(The a/c light never changes on its own in auto mode)

Auto mode does not disengage when i press the a/c button. It also keeps the current a/c state when you are in manual mode and change to auto.

Last edited by mtech; 06-02-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mtech
Thanks for the tips, I'll test it out on the next drive.

What is the difference between
Auto mode on, a/c light on
And
Auto mode on, a/c light off
(The a/c light never changes on its own in auto mode)

Auto mode does not disengage when i press the a/c button. It also keeps the current a/c state when you are in manual mode and change to auto.
Once in auto, pushing any button takes away that function from the auto system's ability to control. So, if you are in auto and turn the A/C light off you take away the ability for it to turn on the compressor (with the exception of defrost setting). If you turn the A/C light on, it will stay on. Same with selecting a particular vent or fan speed setting. Select defrost and it will only run through the defrost.

As said above, best thing you can do is select your desired temperature and leave everything else in auto. Since doing that, I have not had an A/C repair since the early '90's. The system works best if you let it run the compressor. One of our vehicles is 11 years old and nearing 200k miles. I run the compressor in winter and summer and it still performs flawlessly.

Last edited by sholxgt; 06-02-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 1,224 Likes on 624 Posts

A/C button light shows compressor is enabled, it runs when needed.

Oh, the morons that don't understand the difference between temperature and heat. A/C or heat will never get to the setpoint faster by setting the temperature below or above the setpoint. I love test driving cars in the summer and watch the salesman pull the car around and have the temperature set to LO, "So it will cool down quicker". If I get one of them, I'll ignore anything they say after that point.
2veloce (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I use Auto Climate in my truck, my wife's Edge, and my work car. And I always have the A/C button on. I don't even turn it off in the winter.

For me it's one of the reasons I didn't go lower than a Lariat. And the duel climate control is great when my wife and I take trips. I always like it colder than she does.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by sholxgt

Whether the A/C button is lit or not does not determine whether it's actually using the compressor, but it usually is even if just to pull humidity out of the air.
Originally Posted by RL1990

Just because the A/C button is not lit doesn't mean it's not using A/C. In most systems when it's in auto mode only the Auto indicator will be lit.
Regarding the A/C button being lit. Yes, if the last button pushed is the "Auto" button the A/C button will light up regardless of the temp outside or the temp set inside. The A/C will cycle on/off as needed. If the A/C button is not lit the A/C is not going to run.

If the "Auto" button has been pushed and the A/C light is not on the A/C isn't coming on, needed or not and there is something wrong with your Auto temp control.

This is my understanding. Is that wrong?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Regarding the A/C button being lit. Yes, if the last button pushed is the "Auto" button the A/C button will light up regardless of the temp outside or the temp set inside. The A/C will cycle on/off as needed. If the A/C button is not lit the A/C is not going to run.

If the "Auto" button has been pushed and the A/C light is not on the A/C isn't coming on, needed or not and there is something wrong with your Auto temp control.

This is my understanding. Is that wrong?
I think after pressing Auto, and the A/C button is not lit, you can still press the A/C button and it should light up without affecting the Auto function.
FordGate (06-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the auto climate control function to me?