Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor coil failing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default A/C Compressor coil failing?

A/C stopped working and was blowing the 10a (fuse 44) fuses anytime the coil tried pulling the clutch in. Disconnected harness from coil and fuse held. Being an electrician I thought what the hell, if it's a short I'll bump the current up and try and clear it. Threw a 30a at it and low and behold it held. Put 10a back in and it also held and A/C is working fine again. So I'm thinking either I blew the short clear or the wire is worn through and I cleared it moving the harness and wires around. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 PM
Bacardiac

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_v
A/C stopped working and was blowing the 10a (fuse 44) fuses anytime the coil tried pulling the clutch in. Disconnected harness from coil and fuse held. Being an electrician I thought what the hell, if it's a short I'll bump the current up and try and clear it. Threw a 30a at it and low and behold it held. Put 10a back in and it also held and A/C is working fine again. So I'm thinking either I blew the short clear or the wire is worn through and I cleared it moving the harness and wires around. Thoughts?
No thoughts, just saving this for when it happens to me. Thanks bud.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 2,303 Likes on 1,513 Posts

You need to check the wiring harness.
The following users liked this post:
rightway (07-12-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_v
the year of the vehicle and engine model would be helpful
Old 07-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Details are helpful, sorry about that. 2015 screw 3.5 eco 4x4.

Was a little premature thinking it was working. Clutch only held for the one cycle then was blowing fuse again.

The harness at the firewall or at the compressor? Checked the connector at the compressor across the terminals on each connector and to ground for each wire in the connectors and it read fine. Checked reading at the relay and noticed 3.8v on pin 3 which looking at the wiring diagram is hot at all times from PCM. Seems like an odd voltage though. I can't remember is I checked it when the PCM called for clutch active.

Last edited by Eric_v; 07-10-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor coil failing?