Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAND New 2018 Platinum Check Brake System

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default BRAND New 2018 Platinum Check Brake System

Posted this in General and now here in case anyone has had this issue and can comment! Only 200 miles on truck, had this issue 5x already.

FYI

Driving home from dealer two nights ago, highway speed, "Check Brake System" - twice. Stopped and started engine both times - cleared it. Next day to dealer, I explain, they look, I share thread from Raptor forum where they replace part 2C444. Dealer says part takes 2 days to get there so yank one off another new truck. Driving home from dealer, Check Brake System. Dealer writeup says diagnostic P050F when self-test ABS.

Read as much as I could find on forum. Common mentions for sensor, vacuum issues, etc.

Parts diagrams suggest a new part number replaces on old part number.

Online I see the part number that is on backorder is 2C444 but on the part itself it shows as FL34-2C444-AB. Maybe that AB is for the new/current part that replaces the old. I checked mine - it is indeed FL34-2C444-AB.

Oh yeah - got the warning 4 times now - all at highway cruising speeds. First two times I pulled over, did walk around, restarted, cleared it. Second two times I did not pull over and check. Just waited to stop and restart engine and it cleared.

So... I suppose there could be a defective run and they didn't change part number or maybe my brand new - less than 200 miles Platinum does indeed have a vacuum issue. Heck it could be the wiring harness - who knows.

Visiting another local dealer on Tuesday - they say "might have to recreate". Intermittent issue - you know what that means. I am wondering where this may lead. Use up my whole break-in period troubleshooting a brake issue?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

sure the light in the dash didn't just burn out?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Not sure I follow. This is a brand new truck - and it the "check brake system" warning flashes; the "BRAKE" word beneath the speedo stays lit until I cycle power on the truck. Nothing is burned out.

Last edited by BuxKA2; 02-09-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: photo
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife's Edge had a similar warning light that was coming on intermittently. The service writer told me to wait until the light came on again and bring the vehicle directly to the shop and do not shut it off. Sure enough the light came on 2 days later and I was in a stuation where I was able to drive directly to the dealership. With the warning light on a tech came out and read the codes. Reading the ides to,d them exactly what to do. Bottom line is, take it to the dealership with the light on and make them read the codes or you will fight the intermittent battle forever with the dealership. That is damn frustrating!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the advice... might be kinda tough to pull that off - only has come on well out on the highway. Do you happen to know what they did to resolve - maybe you could look at the paperwork?

thanks!
Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM

I managed to drive it on the highway before taking it in this morning - and brought it in with the "Check Brake System" warning still on the screen. They called me later and said I cannot drive it. It is grounded.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by BuxKA2
I managed to drive it on the highway before taking it in this morning - and brought it in with the "Check Brake System" warning still on the screen. They called me later and said I cannot drive it. It is grounded.
Well no ****, dealers are amazing lol----what they say is wrong with it, keep us updated!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BuxKA2
Smart. That would be a huge liability if they said otherwise. Once they acknowledge something wrong they damn well better make sure it's fixed before returning it otherwise be on the hook for some accident due to faulty brakes.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 1,140 Likes on 714 Posts

The dealer should be able to pull the code from the computer. Even if the light is not on it should remain as a history code in the computer until it's cleared. Also don't lead the witness. If you tell a dealer some other guy had this problem and they changed part xyz a lazy dealer will do just that and not take the time to diagnose the problem. Diagnosing and testing sometimes takes more time than the actual repair. You should not have kept driving the truck with a brake system warning. Ford color codes warning messages and lights. Amber messages like low fuel means to take care of this when you can or FYI. Red messages require your immediate attention and action. For your own safety you should have had it towed in and not take it back until it's fixed.

Last edited by RL1990; 02-13-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM

They ended up replacing the brake booster - kept my truck a week before it was said and done. No recurrence of the issue since then.

Quick Reply: BRAND New 2018 Platinum Check Brake System