Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMS Disconnected - 3.0l Diesel - Draw on battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Default BMS Disconnected - 3.0l Diesel - Draw on battery

I have a radar detector that display voltage. I have noticed since I unplugged BMS at the negative post, the radar would never shut off and when I would come out in the morning battery voltage would be 11.9-12.3v, not a healthy charge.
Last night I plugged BMS in and left the hood cracked. This morning radar was off and my voltage via multimeter was 12.67v.

Anyone seen this before? Ive read numerous threads about disabling BMS on the gas engines and no problems. Something seems to be different with the diesels.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wreedsvt
I have a radar detector that display voltage. I have noticed since I unplugged BMS at the negative post, the radar would never shut off and when I would come out in the morning battery voltage would be 11.9-12.3v, not a healthy charge.
Last night I plugged BMS in and left the hood cracked. This morning radar was off and my voltage via multimeter was 12.67v.

Anyone seen this before? Ive read numerous threads about disabling BMS on the gas engines and no problems. Something seems to be different with the diesels.
The gas trucks likely have the same issues. What you are experiencing is one of the purposes that BMS serves. Because most others aren't monitoring like you are, they are not realizing this that is occurring.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Franklin
The gas trucks likely have the same issues. What you are experiencing is one of the purposes that BMS serves. Because most others aren't monitoring like you are, they are not realizing this that is occurring.
This is correct, when BMS is connected the truck has the ability to detect parasitic drains and disable components or plugs to stop the draw. Because you disabled this ability your radar detector is allowed to draw power all night.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Gotcha, think Forscan would cause same issue?

I will just order the auto stop start eliminator.

I did notice battery is now charging at 14.6-14.8v as compared to 13.9-14v before.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wreedsvt
Gotcha, think Forscan would cause same issue?

I will just order the auto stop start eliminator.

I did notice battery is now charging at 14.6-14.8v as compared to 13.9-14v before.
Yes, BMS also helps determine the charge rate and can completely shut the alternator off at times to save on fuel. Disabling in Forscan will have the same result as disconnecting. If I remember correctly, the eliminator basically pushes the button for you each time you start the truck. Assuming this is correct, that is going to be your best option. Auto start/stop on the ecoboost doesn't really bother me. I didn't realize the diesel did this as well. Not sure how I would feel about that.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM

I am curious to know if this effects gas trucks also.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

I didn't realize the diesel did this as well. Not sure how I would feel about that.
Doesn't bug me in the slightest.
Neither does pushing the button to turn it off either, but it seems to be a problem for most other people so maybe I'm weird
Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yokev
Doesn't bug me in the slightest. Neither does pushing the button to turn it off either, but it seems to be a problem for most other people so maybe I'm weird
Well, ...... there are two of us!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Anyone with a gas truck and BMS unplugged at the battery or with Forscan care to do some battery tests? See what your truck is doing?

Quick Reply: BMS Disconnected - 3.0l Diesel - Draw on battery