Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed cover in winter and bed cap in summer for camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default bed cover in winter and bed cap in summer for camping

Hi Guys,

I just got 2018 new XLT XTR package(302A). I am living in Canada. Could you please give me some suggestions on buying bed cover and bed cap? I appreciate it.

My wife and I are short, like 5.4'. We like to do camping on the bed in the summer time on the road trip. so I am wondering if using bed cap for camping will be most convenient? However in winter, I prefer to use bed cover which looks better than bed cap.

So could I use bed cover in the winter time and change it to bed cap in summer time? Is it easy to switch back and forth?

For the bed cover, I am thinking if going with hard-roll up is better since it will not block the rear view window. But I heard maybe it is tough to roll up in Winter with snow on it even snow is removed? I am not sure on it.

Dealer offer installing hard roll-up cover for $1200 CAD including installation. They said it is Ford parts. Do I purchase it in dealer place or shop around the town?

Could you please recommend some good bed cover and bed cap? I appreciate it.

Regards

Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

ARE bed cap has been good for me.....close to $2000 when ordered with matching paint.

Its fiberglass and weighs almost 200 pounds (6.5ft bed)and needs to be positioned precisely.

Not something I want to take on and off.
The following users liked this post:
roudan (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Get the roll up cover, and use a bed tent in summer. Keep the roll up on all year.
roudan (12-11-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
ARE bed cap has been good for me.....close to $2000 when ordered with matching paint.

Its fiberglass and weighs almost 200 pounds (6.5ft bed)and needs to be positioned precisely.

Not something I want to take on and off.
Thanks Blackbuzzard,

How is the visibility after using the cap? Will installing this ARE cap hinder the rear view visibility and blind spot? I know I have to look through 3 layers of winders and the most rear winder doesn't have defroster. For blind spot, I think it could be ok since I typically shoulder check only 2nd row cab window. What is your experience with ARE cap on the visibility? Thanks
Old 12-19-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

I have a Bakflip and a LEER topper. I prefer to have the Bakflip tonneau on the truck and that's what I normally run. But occasionally, I have to go on work-related trips where I need the extra storage space, and that's when I use the LEER topper. removing and installing the Bakflip is pretty easy, but the topper is another story. You can't do it by yourself, and it's just awkward. But recently, I've designed and built a system in the garage, for removing and installing the topper, that uses an electric winch and cables/pulleys. Sounds more complicated than it really is, but works pretty nice.

I've had to do this same process for about twenty years and always had to rely on a friend to help, but I just got tired of not being able to do it when I wanted to. So this setup really works well. It still takes about twenty minutes to do, but at least I can do it safely by myself now.

I'd leave the topper on all the time, but I just really prefer the visibility and appearance of the tonneau cover, instead of the topper.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:53 AM

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

We have a LEER 100XQ. It gives us tons of secure storage when traveling or camping. It also has a Thule Aeroblade roof rack.
roudan (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Just remember that you'll need to seal off all the openings in the bed of the truck if you drive dusty dirt roads, once you've installed either the camper shell or the tonneau cover. Having them covering the bed creates a vacuum inside the bed, drawing the dust in. It's particularly important to seal around the tailgate.

I have a tonneau cover on my F150 and a camper shell on the Dodge so I speak from practical experience. Not fun when you open the camper shell after a hundred miles on a dirt road to find everything covered in fine dust!
The following 2 users liked this post by deserteagle69:
roudan (12-19-2018), So_Utah_Chad (01-28-2020)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
I have a Bakflip and a LEER topper. I prefer to have the Bakflip tonneau on the truck and that's what I normally run. But occasionally, I have to go on work-related trips where I need the extra storage space, and that's when I use the LEER topper. removing and installing the Bakflip is pretty easy, but the topper is another story. You can't do it by yourself, and it's just awkward. But recently, I've designed and built a system in the garage, for removing and installing the topper, that uses an electric winch and cables/pulleys. Sounds more complicated than it really is, but works pretty nice.

I've had to do this same process for about twenty years and always had to rely on a friend to help, but I just got tired of not being able to do it when I wanted to. So this setup really works well. It still takes about twenty minutes to do, but at least I can do it safely by myself now.

I'd leave the topper on all the time, but I just really prefer the visibility and appearance of the tonneau cover, instead of the topper.
Originally Posted by ESJAY
We have a LEER 100XQ. It gives us tons of secure storage when traveling or camping. It also has a Thule Aeroblade roof rack.
Originally Posted by deserteagle69
Just remember that you'll need to seal off all the openings in the bed of the truck if you drive dusty dirt roads, once you've installed either the camper shell or the tonneau cover. Having them covering the bed creates a vacuum inside the bed, drawing the dust in. It's particularly important to seal around the tailgate.

I have a tonneau cover on my F150 and a camper shell on the Dodge so I speak from practical experience. Not fun when you open the camper shell after a hundred miles on a dirt road to find everything covered in fine dust!
Thanks Gents. Will cap reduce the visibility much?

Everytime you switch between the cap and the cover, I assume you have to change the rail for cover and cap? and need to seal the cap again? Is it correct?

I am thinking softcap might be better so I can take it out easily? Do I need to remove cover rail before I putting on the soft cap? Thanks
Old 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Visibility is pretty good out thru the LEER cap.
roudan (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by roudan
Thanks Gents. Will cap reduce the visibility much?

Everytime you switch between the cap and the cover, I assume you have to change the rail for cover and cap? and need to seal the cap again? Is it correct?

I am thinking softcap might be better so I can take it out easily? Do I need to remove cover rail before I putting on the soft cap? Thanks
The topper definitely reduces visibility, but it’s not like driving a van with no windows either.

I don’t know what you mean by “changing the rail”. If you mean the gasket that goes between the top of the bed rail and the bottom of the LEER topper, then no. I put the gasket on the bottom side of the topper, so it stays on the topper.

Personally, I don’tlike the soft-style toppers. But that’s just me. I also don’t like soft-tops on Jeeps either. You have the issue of discoloration on the flexible window material, the cracking wear/tear on the overall fabric, and the reduced security of cloth. Yes, a fiberglass topper can be compromised too, but there’s something to be said for a more “permanent” and contained storage area.

roudan (12-19-2018)

Quick Reply: bed cover in winter and bed cap in summer for camping