Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Stop Start Stopped-"Vehicle Charging"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Auto Stop Start Stopped-"Vehicle Charging"

For the past week, my 2.7l auto-stop-start isn't working. The information display always says "vehicle charging." I've made mostly short trips, but also one uninterrupted 50 mile freeway drive.

No trailer. Not in tow/haul mode. Autozone says the battery tests good.

I did a search and found one thread about this and in that one it self-corrected after a day or so. Not happening in my case.

Please don't congratulate me on this, _I_ happen to like the feature and don't want to have another thread debating its usefulness. I'm just not sure what's keeping the feature from working.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

if the battery is good then I would check to see if the alternator is charging properly, Im afraid the dealer may have the only answer for you.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 PM
gbk

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Congrats!!! Teach me master!

You hear that boys? All it takes is one 50 minute uninterrupted drive!!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 AM

No, a 50 minute drive preceeded by several short trips. Also have to sacrifice various bugs (using the windshield), sing various incantations (along wwth the radio) and flash the lights in a specific pattern (turn signals).

Still not working. You know how dealers tend to be: "It's supposed to work like that." But it's not.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Running AC when attempting to test? Try turning off all accessories and see if it works.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh.

I don't like or hate this feature but for over a week now I've noticed this has stopped. Even after a 40 minute drive around town wasn't enough to change the "charging" notice.

In my experiences of jumping cars and dealing with batteries the truck should have a sufficient charge for daily driving. I could break out the volt ohm meter and take a look but the truck starts just fine.

I'm going to take a 6 hour trip next week and expect that will resolve this.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder it this feature has a smaller battery somewhere on the vehicle. My mercedes had two batteries.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:34 PM

No second battery according to the wiring diagrams.

Originally Posted by HacksawMark
Running AC when attempting to test? Try turning off all accessories and see if it works.
Actually, I thought that was it the first day, because turning off the AC seemed to make it go away. Then it (the issue) came back and no fiddling with the controls has made any difference. Even turned off the radio.

Originally Posted by al256
...the truck starts just fine.
Right. It's not showing any signs that it doesn't have a full charge and tests ok. Weird.

Last edited by Lare; 09-18-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had my truck in friday to test for same thing, but dealer said unless check engine no reason to test it. Plus it had battery test done the friday before for my oil change, real reason I had it in last friday was the inverter though in which they were unable to duplicate.

Was more frustrated while on the lot the inverter acted up and wouldn't light up even once I got home. A second restart of engine same thing. Third time it decided to work. Next morning however oh...surprise it constantly flashed all the way to work... Of course it would do that when I get it back saying dealer couldn't do anything about either issue.

My start/stop though has been significantly shortened over the past couple months even with all accessories off. A couple times engine shutoff and came back on within like 10seconds
Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

These vehicles do not like a lot of short trips. Some with the previous model including me have similar issues where the system shuts down with the Battery Saver.

A long drive often remedies the issue, I bought a battery tender that I run during winter months when it is more likely to happen. Will be interested to see if the long drive fixes it, take a meter to the battery before and after.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop Start Stopped-"Vehicle Charging"