Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto start/stop disable just by unplugging trailer brake lights/turn signal harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Auto start/stop disable just by unplugging trailer brake lights/turn signal harness

Has anyone done this? For those that tow, I guess it would be a pain to keep up with. I guess. But for those who don't, doesn't this seem like the absolute best way to defeat this issue? What do I need to know about doing this? My auto stop happened this morning while turning off a main road. The truck was still moving and I had to throw on the hazards and put the truck in park to start it up again. If it wasn't so early in the morning, it would have been extremely dangerous for everyone around. I had just enough momentum and nobody behind me thank God. Here is the video I found. Looks legit but I'm curious if I am missing something.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by ThanksInAdvance
My auto stop happened this morning while turning off a main road. The truck was still moving and I had to throw on the hazards and put the truck in park to start it up again.
What you describe is not Auto Start/Stop. If you're truck stalled out, you should take it in. If the Auto Stop kicked in, then a simple touch on the gas pedal would have made it start again.
The following users liked this post:
ThanksInAdvance (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 AM

The auto start/stop icon was lit up as if it engaged and when I hit the gas a message popped up saying to put it in park to start engine. Everything happened so quickly but I specifically remember seeing the A icon pop up. Not saying you are wrong at all, it just seemed like the Auto start/stop function was the issue. Thanks for the feedback. This harness removal still seems legit but I have never seen anyone talk about it before and I've read a lot about removing this "feature".
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

The auto start/stop icon was lit up as if it engaged and when I hit the gas a message popped up saying to put it in park to start engine. Everything happened so quickly but I specifically remember seeing the A icon pop up. Not saying you are wrong at all, it just seemed like the Auto start/stop function was the issue. Thanks for the feedback. This harness removal still seems legit but I have never seen anyone talk about it before and I've read a lot about removing this "feature".
do you remember was the A green or amber?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
What you describe is not Auto Start/Stop. If you're truck stalled out, you should take it in. If the Auto Stop kicked in, then a simple touch on the gas pedal would have made it start again.
Agreed, but no need to even touch the gas. *** should initiate a start simply by removing pressure on the brake. If what the OP describes really happened, it's not a fault of ***--he has a problem with his truck and needs to have the dealer inspect it. Almost sounds like his battery may have been excessively discharged, but if that was the case, *** should not have been in play.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Senior Lurker

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Auto Start/Stop shouldn't it start up as soon as you take your foot off the brake?

Edit.
Icantdrive55 Beat me to it

Last edited by fordxlt; 12-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
do you remember was the A green or amber?

Unfortunately, I am color challenged. I would have said green though.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by fordxlt
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Auto Start/Stop shouldn't it start up as soon as you take your foot off the brake?

That is how mine works. Looks like I will have to take mine in to have it inspected. Seemed extremely dangerous and I was lucky this was before 7AM.

Last edited by ThanksInAdvance; 12-18-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:07 PM

So I will be taking the truck in to have it inspected, but I was more curious about unplugging the trailer brake/blinker harness to disable the auto start/stop?
Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

So I will be taking the truck in to have it inspected, but I was more curious about unplugging the trailer brake/blinker harness to disable the auto start/stop?
I have had mine unplugged for over 6 months with no issues. If you need to tow something just plug it back in, takes all of 5 seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by pete7713:
mx558 (12-27-2020), ThanksInAdvance (12-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop disable just by unplugging trailer brake lights/turn signal harness