Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APIM was a dbag today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 04:09 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Default APIM was a dbag today

I’ve never had any previous issues, but I started experiencing some today with my APIM (factory 8”) navigation, etc. Not sure why she was throwing such a fit and being a dbag, but it was pretty aggravating. I know a lot of guys don’t care for Ford’s navigation, but I actually like it. I like the look of it, the features, and how it behaves... normally.

The first thing I noticed this afternoon, was the little “no GPS” (lower left corner of the screen) symbol pictured below, but at that point, the nav system seemed to be working correctly so I didn’t pay it much attention. A little while later, the nav display looked like it wasn’t actually keeping up with my truck movement. Kinda’ like it would momentarily freeze (maybe just for one-two seconds), and then it would suddenly jump up to where I actually was on the map, and maintain for a little bit. Then just as suddenly, the nav audio prompts would behave similarly. Now at this point, I wanted to bitchslap it, because the fit it was throwing was irritating me, while I was in an unfamiliar and congested area. So just like a mis-mannered toddler, this is where it started to ramp up the bad behavior... the whole system stopped responding to any screen-tapping on icons, previous address selections, nav commands, audio commands, etc. It was also misbehaving and connecting/disconnecting Bluetooth, all on it’s own, repeatedly.

Eventually (but not always), it would half-*** try to acknowledge those commands, but generally, it just didn’t. Then after awhile, it completely abandoned all reasonable behavior, and all nav audio was gone (yes, I checked the appropriate volume **** setting), and the map display was showing I was traveling somewhere about twenty miles away. It was at this time, I pulled into a dealership and threatened it, that I’d park it right there, replace it with a newer model, and never see it again. Unfortunately, the dealership was closed and she must have known this, because she refused to cooperate the entire two hour drive back home. What’s the expression? Oh yeah, something about **** or wheels...

Of course I couldn’t remember how to do a soft reboot, because I never really needed to. But after getting back home just a little earlier, I looked it up on here, knowing I had read it here somewhere. Did the soft reboot (power on/off and track forward simultaneously, etc) and voila! Everything’s back to normal and behaving just as it should.

A couple questions:
1.) anyone ever seen this “no GPS” symbol before, and what causes it?
2.) anyone ever experienced a bunch of increasing glitches like this, AND successfully resolved them with just a “soft reboot”?
3.) is it likely this was a one-off situation, or is this going to keep raising it’s ugly head?

Truck details are in my sig. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 07-19-2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:32 AM

Received 267 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey man, I have an 18 also and Its happened to me a few times, it just means your signal is weak or blocked. I have had the apim go completely black with a blue bar across, or a multi-color pixel screen, and I have had the system freeze up for a few hours and with a cycle or two its come back to life. I took it in once while it happened and they thought they'd replace it at first but I had a code that just required a reflash and, knock on wood, its been fine. I have had the no gps after the reflash for a few minutes and its right back online

So long story short, that icon is no big deal and there isn't an issue with your truck most likely its just not picking up the signal. That's my .02, hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
Wanna Ride (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 08:28 AM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts

Similar thing happened in our 16 XLT, soft reboot fixed it (read that here also!). Only happened once in the 3 years of having it.
Wanna Ride (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 AM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

Happens to mine at 25k miles whole apmi fried. Truck is a 2016 garage kept. My brother in laws 2019 same thing I think it’s a common issue. One it starts it continues to get worse even after resets. Glad I got out of my 2016 fx4 biggest pos I have ever owned.
Wanna Ride (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 08:11 PM

Thank you to everyone that posted!
But like I said, there was a bunch of other issues that accompanied the “no GPS” symbol yesterday. And those issues eventually and gradually escalated yesterday, to where the entire system was inoperable. Not just the nav system, but the screen was unresponsive to any input commands via tapping on the screen’s icons and so forth.

So, like I said, last night when I got home (around 2am or so), I initiated the “soft reboot” and everything appeared to be ok again. I had about three or four hours of errands today, and it worked ok for a little while, but then it started acting up again. Not nearly as bad as yesterday, but it’s certainly not 100% resolved yet. The nav audio was ok, the gps was ok, but it glitched briefly a few times, and a couple times, the screen was unresponsive to input commands via tapping for a minute or two again.

My specific truck info is listed below in my sig. For additional reference, I noticed this morning that my system is;
“Sync 3, Software Version:2.3 Build 17109_PRODUCT”.

Is there a current version update that I should look into? And could this be part of the issues I’ve been having?

Old 05-30-2021, 08:48 PM

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought I recalled seeing a version 3.4 which would be an update from your current version. I also had this very same thing happen to my 2020 once on the way to work and I never lose signal in that area. By the time I arrived at work my vehicle was way off from where I actually was. The screen was unresponsive. I had to shut the truck down for a few minutes and everything was fine after that.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by VelocityBlue2020
I thought I recalled seeing a version 3.4 which would be an update from your current version.

I had to shut the truck down for a few minutes and everything was fine after that.
Thanks for your input! I’ll look into that update.

Last night when this was going on and at it’s worse, I shut the truck off several times and waited a few minutes to start it back up. That never helped or made the situation any better. So that’s why I looked into the “soft reboot”.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:39 AM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

It’s going out trust me. I had all the same issues. Dealer wanted 1100 to fix said the module is known to fail. Radio, gps, it all start to go haywire. Software and soft reset does nothing.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sgb020
It’s going out trust me. I had all the same issues. Dealer wanted 1100 to fix said the module is known to fail. Radio, gps, it all start to go haywire. Software and soft reset does nothing.
As I already told myself as soon as it started acting up the other day.

I’ve been looking at the offerings from 4DTech - is anyone here familiar with them? They seem to be reasonably priced and have a longer warranty period than most.

https://www.4dtech.com

Old 06-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Bo.

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgb020
Agreed on the failure, same issues here. I'm on APIM #3, at least they have been covered under warranty.

--Bo

Quick Reply: APIM was a dbag today