Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the app Waze

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Anyone using the app Waze

When using the app Waze on Apple CarPlay the speed is 10 mph higher on the app. So if the speed is 70 on the truck the app displays 80. Does anyone know how to fix?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I think this was just discussed in another post.
mine is also. It’s my favorite app
Old 06-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It is interesting that if the Ford (mine and my uncles) the speed is off by a fair bit but the same phone in my dad's Silverado reads spot on.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

This has been discussed at length in other threads. My 2017 did it, but my 2019 doesn't. No idea why, but it is definitely odd.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I found info on this somewhere else. It's a problem with Sync, fixed in 2018.5+

Expanation: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic...t=400#p1966411

Note: Ford cars with Sync 3 v3.0 & pre-my18.5 (some) vehicles will show Waze Carplay speedometer readings higher than actual & higher than the car Speedometer - when the iPhone is connected to Carplay.
Waze (and other apps with the speed feature) can only get speed readings from Apple's Carplay API and that data primarily comes from the Ford sync 3 system to apples Carplay api.
Current v3.0 sync 3 versions sends inaccurate (higher) speed readings to Carplay - and that's why Waze shows a higher incorrect speed on these Ford cars (eg. 65mph shows as around 76 mph).
The issue lies with Ford and not with Waze. The fix needs to come from a Ford sync v3.0 update issued by Ford.
They are working on an "official" v3.0 update to be released in the future to resolve this. (version number higher than 19000).
So need to wait for that to be released.

Ford cars with Sync v3.3 or higher (my18.5 and newer) latest updates should have this fix implemented.

v3.2+ updates cannot be installed on cars with v3.0 (yet) due to hardware differences.

If you have a Ford car, this is the cause or your issue.

If reporting on Carplay issues you must give info on the iphone model, iOS version, car make and model and infortainment system version to help investigations
I also tried with Apple support yesterday, they said "Ford issue, GTFO".
Old 06-27-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, worth noting this is persistent across all apps in IOS when plugged into carplay. It's weird. Like, look at your phone when plugged into carplay - waze will show an incorrect speed there too. I downloaded SpeedBox (a gps speedometer app), and it ALSO shows incorrect speed when the phone is on Carplay, in spite of the fact that Carplay is not supported for SpeedBox and it doesn't display anything on the Sync radio, (only shows on the phone screen).

So, Waze says it's Ford's fault. Apple says it's Ford's fault. I'm waiting for an update.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Guess that explains why it isn't a problem on my '19. Also puts a more solid answer to the suspicion as to why apps like Spotify and Apple Music show a limited selection of music when not in Park, because CarPlay is getting movement data from the vehicle itself.

Cool that it does so you aren't reliant on GPS signal to get your speed (which can be way off if you keep your phone hidden away). Sucks because even with direct vehicle connection, earlier F-150s still have inaccurate speed.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the app Waze