Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have leaking oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Anyone else have leaking oil pan

I just had the TSB done for my 2016 ford f150 2.7 for misfire, they replaced the cylinder heads, but today, 350 miles after repair, I check my oil level and find that the dip stick is empty. I bring it to the dealer who did the TSB and he says my oil pan is leaking and will be need replaced, and he had just put a new one on there due to being a one time use item. Is this a common issue with the 2.7 ecoboost engine, as not sure why he took mine off that wasn't leaking any oil when he was only changing the cylinder heads on the TSB. Hoping I am not in for a continuous shop queen now that they took the motor out of my truck.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Carter
I just had the TSB done for my 2016 ford f150 2.7 for misfire, they replaced the cylinder heads, but today, 350 miles after repair, I check my oil level and find that the dip stick is empty. I bring it to the dealer who did the TSB and he says my oil pan is leaking and will be need replaced, and he had just put a new one on there due to being a one time use item. Is this a common issue with the 2.7 ecoboost engine, as not sure why he took mine off that wasn't leaking any oil when he was only changing the cylinder heads on the TSB. Hoping I am not in for a continuous shop queen now that they took the motor out of my truck.
To R&I the cylinder heads you have to remove the front cover. To remove the front cover you start by removing the oil pan.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

My valve covers are leaking.

My plastic oil drain plugs is leaking.

My pan....not yet.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My original oil pan leaked at 750 miles. The replacement pan leaked after 9K mile more. That was last week. Keeping an eye on it now. It was always a very slow leak that made a oily pan but not enough for a oil slick on the pavement. Never noticed low oil levels on the dipstick.

Be prepared to wait 7 days for parts and a whole day to install it.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine has had a issue since 10,000 miles. Oil level does not drop so I have left it alone. 2.7 eco.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Saw a post on another thread about this same subject that stated you could request that a metal pan be put on if the plastic one leaks. Has anyone else had this done?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRfizix
My original oil pan leaked at 750 miles. The replacement pan leaked after 9K mile more. That was last week. Keeping an eye on it now. It was always a very slow leak that made a oily pan but not enough for a oil slick on the pavement. Never noticed low oil levels on the dipstick.

Be prepared to wait 7 days for parts and a whole day to install it.
I been lucky so far, When they did the TSB and now with the leaking oil pan, they have given me a 2017 f150 4 door cab 4x4 for a loaner. Just hoping this engine is not going to be a shop queen from now on and when they get the oil pan replaced all will be good. The oil level scares me, due to none showing on the dip stick, and less then 400 miles since they did the TSB and took the engine out of my truck to repair. Hoping no damage has been done due to low oil level.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaky, not dripping x2

I've had two pans put on my 15 2.7 SCrew. Apparently first replacement (20K) was 'old design' and it leaked again. In June replaced again (26K) and when I had an ARE trans oil pan put on in August (27K), the drain plug is now dripping. Oil is not up the back side of the pan, but oil is all over the bottom and drain plug area. When I took the truck back to the dealer who replaced the pan in January, the service writer asked, "Why does it haave the old design oil pan on it?" My response was, "Maybe I should be asking the question and YOU should be telling me."