Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Tow Mirror Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Tow Mirror Thread

You can berate the new guy for another tow mirror thread. This is also my first ever F150.

I did search for the last couple hours and read several threads. I know there are many variants in mirrors and I have seen the PDF. I have some questions right now that I did not find the answer to. Are aftermarket tow mirrors direct connect? If so, how do you identify which one is direct connect?

I read through the PDF that lists all the mirror options, but I'm still not sure which mirror I have. I have a 2016 with mirrors that are non-technology package, power adjust, heat, driver side auto dim, not chrome, there are some exterior lights on them but I don't know all the functions yet. There are several reasons I don't know. I have yet to get the info using my VIN. I have only had the truck for a few days. I'm not sure how the mirror memory thing works if there is no memory button... is it specific to the key used? I only have one key right now, the first owner lost one key. I will be pulling the mirror off tomorrow to look at the connectors, which may help all this.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

When you find out the features that your mirrors have now, those features will be plug-n-play. One additional feature that may be plug-n-play is the marker lights if you switch to a tow mirror. My marker lights were plug-n-play when I switched from regular mirrors to tow mirrors. I know you wanted a definite answer, but not knowing everything your mirrors have now limits us.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 PM

I am planning on trying to get more info from my local dealer tomorrow. My ultimate plan here is to setup my recently acquired F150 for towing a camper. All I have is the basic tow package, so the mirrors are just one (slightly annoying) step.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have BLIS or powerfold on your current ones?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Xritke
Do you have BLIS or powerfold on your current ones?
Still not up to speed on all the acronyms, but it does have the amber light (blinker ?) but does not have power fold nor does it have power telescope or manual manual telescope. This truck only came with the very basic tow package, which is what I'm trying to "upgrade". I want to tow a 5,700 lbs camper.

Off topic to this thread, I have already done research on installing an OEM trailer brake controller. I plan on ordering the controller JL3Z-19H332-AA today and probably a Forscan setup as well. I have questions on a tow setup and will be posting a thread on that in a bit.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Then any 8-pin aftermarket tow mirror will work. Those won’t be power fold tho.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 534 Likes on 392 Posts

An easy way....
1. Remove the sail plate. Three spring clips.
2. Disconnect the plug and count pins ( 8 or 22)
3. Remove three nuts from the mounting bolts on the mirror. The part number is labeled on the back of the mirror.

8 or 22 pin will tell you what type of mirror is plug and play. The mirror part number will resolve the features.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM

It's an 8 pin mirror. Part # FL34-17683-CM5YGY
Old 01-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
An easy way....

8 or 22 pin will tell you what type of mirror is plug and play. The mirror part number will resolve the features.
Dosen't the door module play a part in what may be plug and play? I.E. I know I cannot put on power fold tow mirrors in place of my manual because the door module won't support it.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
Dosen't the door module play a part in what may be plug and play? I.E. I know I cannot put on power fold tow mirrors in place of my manual because the door module won't support it.
I think all power fold/telescope are 22 pin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Tow Mirror Thread