Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost caught me a fish today! (Hit-n-Run)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Almost caught me a fish today! (Hit-n-Run)

Driving in to work this morning and traffic is moving slow but steady at about 40 to 50MPH. I notice I'm closing on the vehicles ahead though and it looks like the lane is slowing up more ahead soon so I start to slow down and think about looking to move into another lane. The moment I hit the brakes as I approach the vehicles ahead I hear a chirp from behind and the truck lurches forward. I then see there is a cars roof visible directly behind my tailgate. So some son-of-a- just hit me.

I get ready to hit the hazards and pull over but then the honking starts, and this idiot whips out into the next lane almost causing a second collision and lays on his horn while flipping the bird. Then he jams the gas and takes off. Momentarily, I'm stunned... "what the heck is this loon doing"? Then I realize he's running. I got up fairly close momentarily behind him to try and get a photo of the license plate and then he started weaving through traffic to run away and I was so PO'd I nearly started chasing, but thought better of it.

The good news is that my trailer hitch was in so when I checked out the back end it was as I suspected. There isn't a scratch on the bumper or truck and the hitch and receiver are both pretty much unaffected. I suspect his hood wedged under and he took all the damage on his nose and hood. I guess in a way I'm lucky he was just inches off my butt. Made the speed differential pretty low at impact rather than him plowing in after my further slowing.

I was hoping the photo would come out because I wanted to nail Mr. Hoodie with hit-n-run but it turned out to be too fuzzy to read the plate numbers and state. I may look into getting a dash cam now.

Anyway.... "Cool story bro". I just wanted to vent a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by photomankc:
Bigcat1185 (11-06-2017), robry (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry to hear that!

I had a similar one in my 2011 F-150. Some dumb kid was changing lanes, went behind me, and then almost sideswiped the car next to him. He swerved back into my lane and rode my rear bumper for a while. I had to tap the brakes, and sure enough, he hit me. I chased him down, read his license plate into my dash cam, got him to pull over, and showed him where he dented his license plate and told him to watch his following distance.

He then said, "Man, I was just trying to change lanes." THEN, I read him the riot act, because he was riding my bumper like it was NASCAR for 10+ seconds.

-John
Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

OP Was that you, sorry they had a free coffee give away- In all seriousness glad you and truck wasn't hurt from some inconsiderate a**hole. He will get his someday.
The following users liked this post:
devinsdad (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Had someone rear end a Ram I had about 10 years ago, and when I went to pull over it suddenly fealt like I was towing. My hitch got stuck under her front bumper.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good reason to keep a hitch installed. People like to get upset for banging shins on it, but I say they shouldn't be walking that close to my truck anyway.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by gm-to-ford
Sounds like a good reason to keep a hitch installed. People like to get upset for banging shins on it, but I say they shouldn't be walking that close to my truck anyway.
When I got my last truck, I noticed a lot of people tailgating, and some even sliding/screeching to a halt close behind. Once I installed the ball in my hitch, that activity was significantly curtailed.

When I got my current truck, I just moved it on over.

-John
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Yeah. You have to have a serious case of stupids to ride that close to a metal ramming rod. Came out at lunch to take a closer look. I do see a paint scuff on the right bumper and one place where the metal is cleaned off under the hitch receiver on the right side. Dudes hood took a beating that’s for sure. I’ll have to go file a report. Just in case I run into damage that isn’t obvious.

The comment about nascar is spot on. This guy was nearly invisible behind me he was so close.

Man I wanted to chase him down but he was going to get someone killed the way he took off weaving and shooting down the shoulder.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

In some states, I heard it is illegal to have a hitch mounted without actually towing, including NJ. I may be wrong but for the same reason, I decided to keep hitch under the rear seat. Sounds like I need to investigate
Old 11-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 181 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Aashu
In some states, I heard it is illegal to have a hitch mounted without actually towing, including NJ. I may be wrong but for the same reason, I decided to keep hitch under the rear seat. Sounds like I need to investigate
We've been down this road before. The laws usually state the license plate shall not be blocked and are not about having a hitch installed. If your hitch/ball block the plate you can get a ticket. If they do not you are PROBABLY fine.

Now... back on track.

OP, sorry for your hit and run experience. I'm putting my hitch/ball back in today.

Last edited by BubbaKen; 11-06-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I usually take mine out so it doesn't get all rusted.

Might find me something nice to put in there though to deter the tailgaters