Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Issues after Level Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Issues after Level Kit

I recently put a RBP Level kit with some OEM Raptor wheels and tires. Took it to the alignment shop and they said i need a cam bolt kit for the lower control arms. Im not too knowledgeable in that area so i was wondering if they were BS me for more money. (I've attached the Alignment Sheet). Also I've heard that leveling can bind the front end up if not running aftermarket upper control arms. after a few weeks of driving it started to develop a popping sound every now and then when going full lock on the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment Issues after Level Kit-img_0742.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I have a set for my 13, that I thought I would need. I asked the alignment shop to put them on to make adjustments.

He said I dont need them,no issues making the adjustment with out. They are Moog and for a 13, if you need and want PM me and I will make you a deal if they fit yours.

MOOG 100070

Last edited by digitaltrucker; 06-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I put a 2.5" level kit on mine and didn't need the camber kit. I think some techs are just better than other and know how to do an alignment.
As far as the popping noise, could be something loose or actually binding but 16k miles later I haven't hadn't any noises. All trucks are different so the kit, I guess, could be making it pop.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 207 Likes on 121 Posts

Looking at your before and after values, the camber is fine and the caster is a little out of spec but you'd never notice that. Your toe is pretty far out and needs to be adjusted. That can be done without the camber kit. I'd say you don't need the camber kit but need a better alignment shop.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Find a better shop. I went to one place here in Vegas and they tried selling me on that camber kit. It was way pricey so I opted not to get it. Ended up looking around a little more and found a place that specializes in alignments and they said they just loosen everything up, align it, and then tighten it back down. I asked them about the kit and they said it wasn't necessary. Just something shops try to sell to make more money.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

^^^^ What he said... find a better alignment shop.

Based upon your alignment printout, it looks like they put it on the rack, checked the before numbers, made no adjustments and entered actual (same as before value) before it left the rack...then told you that you needed a camber kit.

The camber can be adjusted on our trucks by loosening the LCA nuts without a camber kit. A camber kit makes the adjustments easier on the tech and the retail cost is $35 (Moog or SPC). I have seen techs use straps to hold the LCA in place during adjustment without a camber kit. It takes 5 minutes to install the kit on both sides. Take off the LCA nut on front of LCA and install backer plate and nut in its place. Repeat on other side and done. You could install the camber kit before going back to an alignment shop, but it requires a 250 ft-lb torque wrench.

I am curious. Did you loosen the LCA nuts to install the kit? I was surprised to see how much variance you have between right and left camber.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 06-16-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bsanderson06
I recently put a RBP Level kit with some OEM Raptor wheels and tires. Took it to the alignment shop and they said i need a cam bolt kit for the lower control arms. Im not too knowledgeable in that area so i was wondering if they were BS me for more money. (I've attached the Alignment Sheet). Also I've heard that leveling can bind the front end up if not running aftermarket upper control arms. after a few weeks of driving it started to develop a popping sound every now and then when going full lock on the wheel.
Alignment cams work but they don't do what a lot of folks think they do.

They don't add any additional adjustment, meaning more than is available without them.

The opening where the LCA bolt goes is slotted. It's ~2" without a cam kit, it's ~2" with a cam kit. The cam kit allows for more precise/controlled movement of the LCA bolt and allows for locking that bolt in place.

Name:  photo977.jpg
Views: 6574
Size:  33.9 KB
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
^^^^ What he said... find a better alignment shop.

Based upon your alignment printout, it looks like they put it on the rack, checked the before numbers, made no adjustments and entered actual (same as before value) before it left the rack...then told you that you needed a camber kit.

The camber can be adjusted on our trucks by loosening the LCA nuts without a camber kit. A camber kit makes the adjustments easier on the tech and the retail cost is $35 (Moog or SPC). I have seen techs use straps to hold the LCA in place during adjustment without a camber kit. It takes 5 minutes to install the kit on both sides. Take off the LCA nut on front of LCA and install backer plate and nut in its place. Repeat on other side and done. You could install the camber kit before going back to an alignment shop, but it requires a 250 ft-lb torque wrench.

I am curious. Did you loosen the LCA nuts to install the kit? I was surprised to see how much variance you have between right and left camber.
Yeah to get the shock off to put the level spacer on it was easier to just drop the LCA. I think the pop noise i hear is because the alignment is out of whack between one side and the other. it only happens every so often when i turn passed 22 degrees at a slow speed
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM

well I'm not 3 for 3 with waiting over an hour to be told they won't align it unless i pay them $400 to install the camber kit. so its either i keep wasting my time or just install the kit. if i can install the level kit theres no reason i can't intstall the camber kit and save me hundreds of dollars
Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

the front lowers have stock cam bolts, they are adjustable from the factory.