Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm went off for an unknown reason

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Alarm went off for an unknown reason

I park outside in front of my condo garage door. This morning I opened the garage door from the inside and wheeled out my trash can for pick up.

I walk the trash can along the driver side and around the back of the truck and put the can up on the curb that is by the passenger side rear wheel.

I start walking back around the truck and hear a click and a second later the alarm goes off. Never touched the truck, key fob is on the counter in the kitchen upstairs, the dog was with me, nobody in the condo with access to the fob.

Run upstairs (OK it wasn't much of a run, I am 64 years old) and turn off the alarm.

First time that has ever happened. Bizarre.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Any windows down on it? My motion alarm is waaaay sensitive and when windows are down if someone walks within 2ft of the truck it goes off...
Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM
MGM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^

left my windows cracked last week, kinda windy and something must've moved in my truck and did the same thing

Other times I forget to turn it off and my Golden Retriever will set it off every time.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

As others said the motion sensors can be very sensitive. My alarm went off 5 nights in a row one week about 4 months after I had bought the truck. I couldn't figure it out and just chalked it up to kids messing with my truck. After night 2 I went outside locked and loaded looking for the culprits. Finally realized or assumed that it was the crack in my windshield moving across the windshield at night when it got colder as every morning the crack had grown bigger overnight. Something must have moved inside the truck.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I discovered that the motion sensor in my truck doesn't even work. And, I'm going to leave it that way. These alarms are just a huge pain in the *** as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

I have rain vents on all four windows. I do leave the rear windows open about an inch and a half. Been doing that for over a year now. I suppose it is possible that was the culprit, but there was no wind and I have passed by the truck in the same way hundreds of times.

Chalk it up to WTF, I guess.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask the dealer the check the gateway module. My friends 2016 F 150's alarm just started randomly going off. They replaced the module and problem went away.