Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of a tonneau cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Advantage of a tonneau cover?

Hi y'all,

Is a tonneau cover really beneficial? I am considering one. Is there any reason not to get one? I am looking at the tri fold models so I can access areas of the bed. I don't like the one piece versions. Can you strap down items on top, not bikes but wood, etc?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Only one advantage really, it keeps your stuff dry.

on most covers, you cannot strap anything on top.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have gotten 1 the last few trucks, only so that I can leave stuff like golf clubs in the back, and keep items (mostly) dry in the event of rain.
No real security other than out of sight, haven't found them to add gas mileage or any of that B.S.

Unless you get a hard fold that specifically says you can load X pounds of weight to it I would never put anything on top of a tonneau cover.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

They're great to cover up how clean your bed is from lack of use
The following 2 users liked this post by chimmike:
CountyMounty (06-24-2019), crazywayne311 (09-10-2020)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the solid 1-piece Undercover SE version. The primary reason is it provides a large, dry lockable storage area that is more secure than the cab. I rarely haul anything taller than the bed so I can get away without a tri-fold which are generally more versatile.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by emil77
Hi y'all,

Is a tonneau cover really beneficial? I am considering one. Is there any reason not to get one? I am looking at the tri fold models so I can access areas of the bed. I don't like the one piece versions. Can you strap down items on top, not bikes but wood, etc?

Thanks!
I find it to be very beneficial. I have the Bakflip MX4, lots of excellent deals to be had in the vendor section of the site. Keeps out water and wind for items you don't want to risk blowing around/getting wet. You can fold it section by section depending what you have in the bed, or fold it up and it rests against the back of the cab if you need full bed access but aren't somewhere you can take off the cover. Installs easy, and mine is over two years old now (took it off my 2017) and shows no signs of wear and no issues.

The Bakflip is rated for up to 400Lbs of evenly distributed weight, but I don't think I would put too much weight on most any of the sectional covers if I could help it.

Reasons not to get one: If you are constantly putting tall items in the bed, or if you often need the full space of the bed, I would possibly go with a soft cover at most. While the Bakflip can rest against the cab as I mentioned, as can other covers, that obviously blocks your rear view and isn't ideal for every day driving. You can take it off and leave it at home, but any tri-fold cover is going to have decent weight and are just kind of tough to maneuver given their dimensions and I wouldn't want to do it all the time. May be better off with a soft cover as mentioned, a capper if you don't mind the look/cost, or just going naked.

I have no illusions about the fact that I mainly got my truck because my wife and I are both tall, we have tall kids, and a big dog. There are basically no vehicles that fit us as comfortably as the F-150 Crew Cab does, so while I have moved thousands of pounds of lumber and that in the truck, 95+% of the time it is our vacation vehicle and grocery getter, meaning having a closed off and weather proof bed is more important to us than having all the vertical space an open bed offers. If you also mainly just need a weather proof area, for work or not, then they are a great buy.

Last edited by vulnox; 06-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by vulnox
I find it to be very beneficial. I have the Bakflip MX4, lots of excellent deals to be had in the vendor section of the site. Keeps out water and wind for items you don't want to risk blowing around/getting wet. You can fold it section by section depending what you have in the bed, or fold it up and it rests against the back of the cab if you need full bed access but aren't somewhere you can take off the cover. Installs easy, and mine is over two years old now (took it off my 2017) and shows no signs of wear and no issues.

The Bakflip is rated for up to 400Lbs of evenly distributed weight, but I don't think I would put too much weight on most any of the sectional covers if I could help it.

Reasons not to get one: If you are constantly putting tall items in the bed, or if you often need the full space of the bed, I would possibly go with a soft cover at most. While the Bakflip can rest against the cab as I mentioned, as can other covers, that obviously blocks your rear view and isn't ideal for every day driving. You can take it off and leave it at home, but any tri-fold cover is going to have decent weight and are just kind of tough to maneuver given their dimensions and I wouldn't want to do it all the time. May be better off with a soft cover as mentioned, a capper if you don't mind the look/cost, or just going naked.

I have no illusions about the fact that I mainly got my truck because my wife and I are both tall, we have tall kids, and a big dog. There are basically no vehicles that fit us as comfortably as the F-150 Crew Cab does, so while I have moved thousands of pounds of lumbar and that in the truck, 95+% of the time it is our vacation vehicle and grocery getter, meaning having a closed off and weather proof bed is more important to us than having all the vertical space an open bed offers. If you also mainly just need a weather proof area, for work or not, then they are a great buy.
Thanks brother, sort of my situation also. I do go to home depot often, but rarely have loaded past the top of the bed. It seems like the bakflip is one of the more popular brands. Did you ever consider the Person?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

For me, it secures my cargo and keeps it dry.

If OP decides to buy one, get one that keeps the bed area dry from rain.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone have the official Ford soft folding one? Came across it and it’s not really that expensive, about $300. Seems to be better constructed than the others in that price range.

Quick Reply: Advantage of a tonneau cover?