Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding OEM-ish Transmission Cooler to a 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding OEM-ish Transmission Cooler to a 2015

Been doing a lot of reading on adding a transmission cooler to my 2016 5.0.

In an effort to add something to the pool of knowledge before I ask for some advice, here is what I've 'learned' so far:

The transmission system has a thermostat, if the fluid is cold, it will flow through a heater (that is heated via the engine coolant) and flows it back into the transmission. When the proper operating temperature is reached the PCM shuts off the flow to the warmer and either cycles the fluid back to the transmission or to the radiator (or aux cooler if installed) to cool it before sending it back.

So, in a nut-shell, the transmission flow is either: going through the warmer, going through the radiator/aux cooler, or cycling back into itself unmodified.

There are two tow packages that have aux coolers included as well as two radiators with these two options. From what I can tell, these are the same physical radiator, but one has the transmission passages capped, while the other allows fluid flow. I'm not sure which is which, but I think that the highest tow package level is the one that bypasses the radiator completely.

Since the normal operating temperature of the engine coolant is around 200 degrees, and the ideal operating temperature of the transmission is around 195 degrees, I'm thinking that bypassing the engine radiator is the way to go. This truck is my first new f150 so I don't have a history of overheating the transmission to call-out for as a reason to do this modification, but from a lot of reading I've found that guys towing (the allowable weights) in hot temperatures are having issues (even with the factory tow AUX cooler). So, I'd like to get ahead of this possible issue before the temps get crazy over here in TX.

My plan is to disconnect the cooling lines going to the radiator, flushing the radiator passages (and cap them off), before adding in an external cooler. Will also use this as a chance to buy an OEM transmission pan and TIG on a drain bung for easier future fluid swaps.

What I'm mulling over is to either add-in the OEM stuff or to install something better? Advice?

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

I would say go with the max tow OEM cooler. It's bigger than the regular tow package cooler, and is a stacked plate design which bleeds heat off quite a bit better than the old tube in fin type. Plus it'll be more or less a bolt on once you get your lines routed.

Since you've dealt with transmission cooling in the past, you probably already know that these transmissions are different in that they must be at minimum operating temperature to work effectively. The fluid isn't like the older fluids - it likes the heat - and if it runs too cold then increased wear and galling will result.

Last edited by Indy2015; 03-01-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM

Is this the part number you are talking about:? Ford F-150 Transmission Oil Cooler Assembly - Ford (FL3Z-7A095-A)

I can't seem to find any numbers for other, larger, coolers. I keep reading about coolers that ford put in the cars sent over to the middle east, but I can't seem to find them.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I always thought the cooler in the radiator was there to help at low speeds as well as heat the fluid up when cold. The aux coolers don't do much when not moving or going slow.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Good info here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/aux-t...lation-376061/
Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM

There is a heater (FL3Z-7A095-B) that heats the transmission fluid to operating temperature.

Basically the truck has a 3-way valve: 1: Temp is good and the fluid is cycled internally....2: The temp is too cold and the fluid is routed through the heater (not the radiator) and is then sent back to the transmission.....3: The coolant is too hot and is sent to the radiator to be cooled (and the/or sent to the AUX cooler) and then returned to the transmission.

The size of the aux cooler (and whether or not you bypass the hot radiator and only go through the AUX cooler) will decide HOW FAST the truck can bring bring the over-heated fluid back down to operating temperatures. Obviously, the faster the better. So the design of the Aux cooler in these trucks is not to constantly maintain a lower transmission fluid temperature, but to allow the trucks normal transmission fluid temperature control system to work properly when operating in heavy use/hot environments.

So, if its 110 here in Austin and my radiator is running around 200-degrees, there is not a whole lot the system can do to cool my overheating transmission back down to its 190-degree operating temperature. 10-degrees isn't that bad, but there are people saying they are going into the 240s with their transmission fluid.

Since I have no trailer package, I have no AUX cooler installed. In the perfect world, I'd like to do a 100% OEM install but have the bigger AUX cooler (if it fits into the OEM bracket). But I am open to doing a complete custom install if the cost of OEM parts is not justifiable.

What I really need help with is a factory build list for all the parts needed (not counting the upgraded sway bar stuff) to do the install. Is there such a thing?

Last edited by 1967marti; 03-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by RX1Cobra
I always thought the cooler in the radiator was there to help at low speeds as well as heat the fluid up when cold. The aux coolers don't do much when not moving or going slow.
Modern technology has changed this. The 2015-2017 5.0 and all engines with the 10 speed have a transmission fluid warmer to help heat it up quickly when it's cold. And with electric cooling fans even at idle there is airflow over the coolers, condenser, and radiator.

You should be aware that the 5.0 is the coolest running engine. This is why initially only the 5.0 had the trans fluid warmer since it took the longest to reach normal operating temperatures. Also why if the aux cooler is used it bypasses the radiator cooler. The transmission wears the most when the fluid is cold which is why Ford tries to get it heated as quickly as possible with warmers, internal thermostats and grill shutters. Also since it's 100% synthetic it can tolerate a lot of heat which is why it's happy at 195 and can go to 230 when towing in summer temperatures. Wasn't that long ago 170 was normal and 200 was considered hot. Now our trucks consider 200 normal and 170 cool.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Without the HVAC on, my 5.0 will fluctuate the temperature from 204 to 220 cruising at a speed of 75 mph on a 60 degree day.

Turn on the A/C, and the temp drops to 200 degrees and stays there with only a slight fluctuation to 206. It will maintain the temp even if it's 110 degrees outside.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM

Does the transmission cooling system on the 15-17's connect to the HVAC?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1967marti
Does the transmission cooling system on the 15-17's connect to the HVAC?
No. But having the HVAC on or off affects the operation of the air shutters and engine cooling fans. Thus affecting the airflow through the transmission cooler.

Quick Reply: Adding OEM-ish Transmission Cooler to a 2015