Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding OEM Backup Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Adding OEM Backup Camera?

I want to add the OEM backup camera to my XLT. I have the 4.2" screen and my truck might as well be an XL as the tailgate area isn't pre-wired for one. So, my understanding is I need to buy the tailgate handle, camera, tailgate harness, and then run the wires up to the drivers side fender well?

And my display can be programmed with Forscan to add the camera and no need to replace the display with one that is preprogramed?? I want to set this up as close to factory as possible.

Also, I already installed the factory bed light kit so I have the grey camera plug now back by the tailgate. I would also like to install the trailer hitch light..how would I wire that up like factory?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as adding the backup camera, I recently went through this on my 2016 XL. I ordered this set: https://camera-source.com/ford-f150-...ay-s-2334.html
Which includes power. Everything was plug and play, and the power module also flashed the camera into the software. Nothing additional was required. The camera has been working flawlessly. The only complaint I have is I wish it was cheaper!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by recycler
As far as adding the backup camera, I recently went through this on my 2016 XL. I ordered this set: https://camera-source.com/ford-f150-...ay-s-2334.html
Which includes power. Everything was plug and play, and the power module also flashed the camera into the software. Nothing additional was required. The camera has been working flawlessly. The only complaint I have is I wish it was cheaper!
Yeah but I'm pretty sure this can be done through ForScan. And the Camera Source kit dosent wire into the screen the factory way. Instead it has its own independent wire that runs into the cab. What I'm interested in is people on here have run wiring to the drivers side wheel well and the wiring is already there to tie into. Id rather go that route if that's the case. I don't think you have to do anything with disassembling the radio if you go this route.

Last edited by asdaven; 02-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

Yeah just have to add a couple pins if they are not there. 6 and 12 if I remember right. Then use forscan to change the bit in the fcdim

edit. I was thinking aftermarket. There are another thread for adding backup camera for the 8” but should be the simular.

Last edited by lucas8888; 02-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lucas8888
Yeah just have to add a couple pins if they are not there. 6 and 12 if I remember right. Then use forscan to change the bit in the fcdim

edit. I was thinking aftermarket. There are another thread for adding backup camera for the 8” but should be the simular.
On which connector?

Thanks-

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Backup Camera?