Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add Quick Connect To Camper Shell Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add Quick Connect To Camper Shell Brake Light

I have a 2016 F150 I bought new that’s been great. I had an ARE camper shell installed last year and now want to take it off. There’s just a brake light on the shell, no interior dome light. When Leer installed it they didn’t use any easily accessible quick connect adapters. There’s just this blue cable with what looks like 2 wires in it that runs from to shell brake light. This wire is tucked inside the interior trim of the shell and runs behind my bed liner. Leer said I could cut the wire then splice it back together when I reinstall the top. I’d rather install a quick connect adapter to make it easier/quicker. I was thinking a quick connect adapter installed near where the blue wire pops out from behind the bed liner would work. Then I can coil it up and tuck it behind the liner when the top is off. Leer wants $250 to install some adapter they have. What adapter would I need to do what I want?

and yes I searched. Lots of info on installing a top with a brake and dome light. Nothing on modifying an existing install the way I’m thinking.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:20 PM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Almost any weatherproof automotive connector will work. A kit like this has more than you would need (except the crimper).

Amazon Amazon

Use a second connector half as a dust plug. Just silicone up the holes.
The following users liked this post:
Just Pete (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 07:18 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,262 Likes on 846 Posts

Just make sure whatever you use is weatherproof. Try to find a connector with a dust cap or cover if you can, so when it's rolled up tucked behind your bed liner, the connections stay clean.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:19 PM

Received 661 Likes on 370 Posts

A.R.E. actually has the harnesses with connectors. You have to order through an A.R.E. dealer and price is way more than what you can do yourself though. My truck had an A.R.E. top on it when I bought it but it just had the harness on it for the brake light and interior light but no body harness so it wasn't hooked up. I ordered the body harness from a dealer. Oh, and they're crappy and have to be cleaned occasionally.

I would recommend just a couple SAE connectors with dust caps like these linked below (like used on battery tenders). I put a subwoofer box on a friend's tritoon using a couple so he could take it off easy.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SSellers; 04-29-2024 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Just Pete (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Add Quick Connect To Camper Shell Brake Light