Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Grill Shutters Not Working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Grill Shutters Not Working?

So the weather has begun to turn colder here in MD, and I have noticed that my truck seems to take longer to heat up than it did last year (I have had the truck for approx. 10 months now, purchased during winter of last year, when the weather was WAY colder than what it is now). I remember, when researching about the active grill, and going outside, starting my truck, the grill shutters would all go to full close, go to full open, then close if it was cold out. When I started it up the other day, the grill just stayed open, and the truck took longer to heat up (had it idle for around 5-10 minutes before driving, no heat what-so-ever, grills in the full open postion still, max heat turned on). Coolant level is fine, heater works once the engine gets to temp, but the shutters stay open the entire time. No objects or obstructions in the grill itself. Is there anyway of knowing if it is working or not? Would the check engine light come on? MPG's are staying the same on both city and highway.
Thanks for your time!
Perry
2018 2.7 EcoBoost
Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

Any time the a/c compressor is running the shutters will be open regardless of ambient temperature. So If the a/c or defrost modes are selected they will be open. If You want to test make sure climate Controlls are in off position and see if they close on a cold start up in cold temperature.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (01-11-2021)
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieg
Any time the a/c compressor is running the shutters will be open regardless of ambient temperature. So If the a/c or defrost modes are selected they will be open. If You want to test make sure climate Controlls are in off position and see if they close on a cold start up in cold temperature.
Not true. I always leave the A/C on year round and in the winter the grill shutters are closed or partially closed most of the time and the computer uses the fans to control temperature.

The OP should remote start the truck or have someone else start it and see if the shutters can do their self test. If the self test completes the shutters are fine. You can also use a scan tool to see if they're codes stored.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RL1990
Not true. I always leave the A/C on year round and in the winter the grill shutters are closed or partially closed most of the time and the computer uses the fans to control temperature.

The OP should remote start the truck or have someone else start it and see if the shutters can do their self test. If the self test completes the shutters are fine. You can also use a scan tool to see if they're codes stored.
self test?
i have never actually watched or looked to see my shutters move... I’d like to see it sometime.
since it’s getting cold out now, can I stand in front on my truck, remote start it (when cold outside) and watch the shutters close?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderStruck007

self test?
i have never actually watched or looked to see my shutters move... I’d like to see it sometime.
since it’s getting cold out now, can I stand in front on my truck, remote start it (when cold outside) and watch the shutters close?
yes you can. Every start up they go through a self calibration sequence that takes approximately 15 to 20 seconds.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieg

yes you can. Every start up they go through a self calibration sequence that takes approximately 15 to 20 seconds.
My 17 does it's self test just by turning the ignition on. I don't have to start it. I found this out while installing the Wagner intercooler which the shutters will hit if not installed exactly perfect.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 Explorer has the active grille shutters as well, but I have the opposite problem - the shutters stay closed pretty much all the time. I can get heat from my vents within 10-30 seconds of driving away in the winter time. In the summer at 90F+ ambient with the A/C running, my shutters are shut when idling. I've looked at the condenser and its free of road salt and bugs, which I'm not complaining about. My 2014 SHO (same as Explorer sans the active grille shutters) had lots of road salt spray in the engine compartment).

I do see the shutters go through the initialization sequence, but I am curious as to when they are actually supposed to open. To the OP, it doesn't sound right if they stay open all the time.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:16 PM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

You can see the commanded shutter opening in forscan. If it is commanding 100% opening, then you need to track down why.

Also note, the radiator shutter behavior in sub 35 degree f weather is that they stay just under 1/3rd cracked open (at least on my 2016). I assume this is to avoid problems with icing shut.

Quick Reply: Active Grill Shutters Not Working?