Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6R80 Major Issues. Need Advice ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6R80 Major Issues. Need Advice ASAP

2016 F150 5.0 70K miles 6R80

Trans started shifting harshly 3-4, and the occasional "sqwack" 5-3. I got talked into having a local dealership have a tech plug in laptop, and drive the truck while plugged in. Tech was able to replicate the harsh 3-4 shift, but said he could not go further without me leaving the truck for further diagnosis to include "air test on clutches". Prior to leaving the tech stated he wanted to check the PCM for updates. Tech updated my PCM from "C" to "E". Immediately upon leaving the dealership the 3-4 shift was EXTREMELY worse. It would leave 3, search in the RPM range and "SLAM" into 4 and also make a "sqwack" noise (everytime). I was able to get into 5, and slightly depressed accelerator and trans went into 1 and got stuck. I limped the truck back to dealership in disgust. Tech re-rode with me but only thing replicated was an EXTREMELY harsher 3-4. Long story short this was done as a "free": diagnosis and they wanted to then charge me for diagnosis. I left angrily, and otw home the truck got stuck in 3 while cruising at 45 mph. 3-4 is so bad it feels like the trans is going to explode. I reached out to the service manager and he immediately stated the truck needed further diagnosis and then proceeded to tell me truck needed a new trans, valve body etc. Service manager could not explain how a PCM update could cause my truck to be un-driveable. I came in with a symptom of minor harsh 3-4 and left with a barely driveable truck. Ive never had codes, nor temp issues. Fluid and filter changed as appropriate. I really need some help on this. ASAP. HOW COULD A PCM UPDATE FROM "C" TO "E" CAUSE SUCH A BIG ISSUE?. Is there a simple fix? Truck is at a local reputable transmission specific shop until further.

Please email me Dannym1984@***.net

Or private message

Last edited by Dmanly84; 07-06-2023 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding "or private message"
Old 07-06-2023, 09:05 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,483 Likes on 979 Posts

Try a KAM reset and trans adaptive learning reset by disconnecting the battery cables and touching the cables together. This will drain any retained power from all the modules. Reconnect to the battery and see how things proceed. It may not help, but all it costs is a few minutes of your time.
The following users liked this post:
Dmanly84 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:13 AM

Thank you! i am disgusted...Tech claims he "cleared all tables". What a shame I should trust a dealership, but shame on me for letting them sucker me in. Could it of been done on purpose? to try and sell me parts or scare tactic in to me trading?
Old 07-06-2023, 09:51 AM

Received 546 Likes on 452 Posts

wouldnt be surprised if this is the beginnings of the lead frame going out. It took a while for my truck to throw codes and acted exactly like yours for a couple weeks before it finally threw the wrench for Ford to finally warranty claim it. Good luck.
Dmanly84 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:57 AM

Thank you. Trucks out of warranty, but it gives me some hope. I still can not wrap my brain around how the PCM update caused so many MAJOR ISSUES immediately
Old 07-06-2023, 10:13 AM

Received 354 Likes on 231 Posts

The pcm update just exacerbated the issue if I'm reading correct?
The following 2 users liked this post by mulyhuntr:
Dmanly84 (07-07-2023), FordGate (07-10-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 10:24 AM

Yes, It was EXTREMELY worse, and more symptoms (erratic shifts) etc. Prior to PCM update I ONLY had a minor 3-4 harsh shift. NOTHING ELSE. Almost un-drivable. After PCM update On the way to the trans shop it actually got stuck in 4 for about 1/4 mile. 70K miles and a big issue has really left me with a disgust towards Ford. But I need advice and need and want to keep it.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:26 AM

UPDATE:

Transmission shop advised that there is definitely a computer issue. Does not believe there is anything failing within the transmission itself. Still, at a loss for words.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:18 AM

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I would return to the dealer with your diagnosis from the independent transmission shop and come to an agreement with how they should proceed. If they are reasonable, they should assume they made a mistake and diagnose the truck on good faith. If they find fault with something electrical, like the lead frame (which is a big issue with these trans), then you should pay for the parts/labor to fix it. If its a mistake within the programming, it shouldnt cost you anything to fix what they broke. Thats how Id approach it.
Dmanly84 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:43 AM

Update # 2

Talked to the seasoned trans tech at locally owned shop. He stated that he suspects the PCM has failed and is stating it needs a "new pcm". Also said that he is not 100% sure the new PCM is going to "fix" the extremely chaotic shifts etc. Is it even possible to return to the previous "C" PCM update from the "E" installed by Five Star Ford? At this point I really do not know what to do. Try another dealership? Let Five Star have the truck back to find a fix even though service manager wants to throw major parts at it. Ford Corporate is not too much help. I did disclose what Five Star Ford did as far as an update to the trans shop that has my truck now. It did not phase him and still states the PCM needs to be replaced. Ballpark $1,000 dollars to fix if he can find a PCM.

Quick Reply: 6R80 Major Issues. Need Advice ASAP